Ten zillion Clemson assistant coaches | Syracusefan.com

Ten zillion Clemson assistant coaches

mark79

All Conference
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but did anyone else notice the number of Assistant Coaches Clemson has? It seemed pretty close to one per player. I did a quick and dirty estimate and I’m pretty sure there were over 50. How is that possible. Egads.

47 people listed in their football staff directory, we have 29 listed in ours... from what I found on the internet at least

Lol. We were laughing about that in our section during warmups. It literally seemed like every player has a personal coach.

Saban has a small army of ex-head coaches with creative titles on his staff. Bama is one school I want to lose every week (which I have to hide because my wife went there). Saban has a million advantages but whines over every perceived unfairness against his team.

It's a great deal for both parties. The analysts can put on their resume they were a part of a program like Clemson, UGA, Bama, LSU, OSU, etc. and they get to learn from some of the best coaches in the business. Usually translates to a pretty good promotion on to a different staff/program or you can climb up internally if you really impress.

Schools like it because it's cheap labor and pays huge dividends. They don't pay these guys much because the analysts will do it for the reasons mentioned above. Then they'll all be tasked with very specfiic roles. One guy does nothing but break down tape on opponents 3rd down tendencies, one what they run in the red zone and so on. Then during the game they'll have say one offensive analyst who does nothing but watch the opponents secondary, one watches the linebackers, one the line and then they see where the mismatch is or who is the weak point to attack.

It's become infamous that one of Bama's analysts picked up on UGA would go Cover 2 on passing downs quite a bit and their safety was cheating too much to the middle of the field and that's why they called the play where Tua hit Smith down the sideline to win the championship.

How can there possibly be full time jobs for that many assistants?
Bama football is bringing in around 110-115 million a year with profits around 45-50 million. They way overpay the "analyst", "advisors", and whatever BS titles they come up with for coaches.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but did anyone else notice the number of Assistant Coaches Clemson has? It seemed pretty close to one per player. I did a quick and dirty estimate and I’m pretty sure there were over 50. How is that possible. Egads.

Yet the lacrosse program can only have one volunteer assistant.

I have a picture and counted 59 coaches/support staff on the Clemson sideline; those were the ones wearing the orange golf shirts. There were some others wearing white and grey and I didn't even count them. I also tried not to count people who looked like trainers. Unbelievable.

Seems like we could start investing some R&D into supercomputer analytics AI to break down the film - either tapes or live action. Fund a 5 year startup program and get in on the ground floor. At some point it's redundant and wasteful to have that many human eyes poring over this stuff.

Football player movements on video can be tracked and compartmentalized... the real investment or breakthrough would be developing analytics programs to discover all the patterns and tendencies. The only thing missing is startup money.

Then give this AI to every school and level the friggin playing field.

Got to get those fat stacks OP...

giphy1.gif

Seems like we could start investing some R&D into supercomputer analytics AI to break down the film - either tapes or live action. Fund a 5 year startup program and get in on the ground floor. At some point it's redundant and wasteful to have that many human eyes poring over this stuff.

Football player movements on video can be tracked and compartmentalized... the real investment or breakthrough would be developing analytics programs to discover all the patterns and tendencies. The only thing missing is startup money.

That's where you come in, Franco. :)

That's where you come in, Franco. :)
It will never happen. The coaching industry fear of getting replaced by machines would sabotage any effort. Which is kind of ridiculous if you ever played Madden on coaching mode.

During warmups about 1/2 of the 60 were overseeing the Clemson warmups while the other 1/2 were in a line at the 50 watching SU warmup.

This was the first thing my girlfriend said when they came out to stretch

We counted 59 on the field on Saturday. Some may have been managers, but that’s still a lot of support staff.

This would be an awesome idea. It wouldn’t break the bank and it wouldnt replace coaches. It’s simply film AI analytics that could be tracking, charting. and logging formations, players, tendencies, downs, distances and %s and everything else associated with the analytics. Such a good idea it must already exist.

Normally you see 3 buses of the opposing teams pulling in, if I'm not mistaken I think I saw 6 for Clemson...moral of the story, they have a lot of people whether they are coaches, managers, trainers or super spys

This would be an awesome idea. It wouldn’t break the bank and it wouldnt replace coaches. It’s simply film AI analytics that could be tracking, charting. and logging formations, players, tendencies, downs, distances and %s and everything else associated with the analytics. Such a good idea it must already exist.
I imagine the backbone of what pro football focus does is automated/AI

I know they provide qualitative insights as an overlay but I bet it all starts with a program analyzing and categorizing every play