Testing a new feature | Syracusefan.com

Testing a new feature

temery

What?
Nested quotes. Quoted replies in a string of replies to the same post, will all be shown. I have no idea if this is a feature worth offering, nor any idea of potential bugs.

So ... please reply with a bug report, and/or thoughts about this feature. Do not reply with suggestions for other features. One thing at a time.
8F34B537-A998-4593-8550-902CFDB32A20.png

Wasn't this on an older version of the board? I like it for when you come across the middle of a back and forth and you don't know the complete context of the discussion. It's quicker than hitting the up arrow in the quoted post until you get back to the original post like we have to now. I could see how it could get cluttered when you get a lot of replies.

Personally I don't like it. You can't see what you are replying to unless you expand the thread. But that's just me...and I'm old and opinionated. ;)

Agree. I think regular quote and multi-quoting works just fine.

The nesting makes it messier.

Wasn't this on an older version of the board? I like it for when you come across the middle of a back and forth and you don't know the complete context of the discussion. It's quicker than hitting the up arrow in the quoted post until you get back to the original post like we have to now. I could see how it could get cluttered when you get a lot of replies.

Was gonna say yea that how it used to be in like 2002

Nested quotes. Quoted replies in a string of replies to the same post, will all be shown. I have no idea if this is a feature worth offering, nor any idea of potential bugs.

So ... please reply with a bug report, and/or thoughts about this feature. Do not reply with suggestions for other features. One thing at a time.
View attachment 168212

In a word - yuck

Was gonna say yea that how it used to be in like 2002
I think I remember it being on the old skout board (am I getting that right?) up until we moved to this one. That was the first version I was on. I think I found it around the time I moved to Knoxville which was 2008.

Yeah I mean if we’re gonna bring back features from the turn of the century we might as well go all in and go back to the thread view look circa 1999.

I’m getting quote alerts even though no one is directly responding to me. This dumb.

temery
Better hit them with “don’t care,” speech.
"Don't care didn't care. Don't care was wild. Don't care stole a plum and pear like any beggar's child. Don't care was made to care. Don't care was hung. Don't care was put in a pot and boiled until he was done.

That one. ;)

When I reply to a specific quote, I want the specific quote to be easily seen above my reply. I don't want four names.

What we used to have is "thread view" where you would see a list of all the messages on a particular thread with the ones replying to a post or a replay to a post listed under it. We also used to be able to title our replies. Then when you clicked on a post, you'd that post and all the replies fully shown below it. I liked thread view a lot, although I adjusted to topic view rather easily when we switched to it.

here's a forum that is in thread view: VoyForums: Bonanza: Scenery of the Ponderosa Forum

Last edited:
When I reply to a specific quote, I want the specific quote to be easily seen above my reply. I don't want four names.

What we used to have is "thread view" where you would see a list of all the messages on a particular thread with the ones replying to a post or a replay to a post listed under it. We also used to be able to title our replies. Then when you clicked on a post, you'd that post and all the replies fully shown below it. I liked thread view a lot, although I adjusted to topic view rather easily when we switched to it.

here's a forum that is in thread view: VoyForums: Bonanza: Scenery of the Ponderosa Forum

Thread view gives me a headache.

Personally I don't like it. You can't see what you are replying to unless you expand the thread. But that's just me...and I'm old and opinionated. ;)
I agree with the old people. :). It is nice in a way to see the thread in graphic form but the way it is presented, where you can’t see it all together, is not good.

And when you open a post and do see it all together, the presentation for an involved thread becomes so wordy, especially viewing on a mobile device, that the bad outweighs the good.

It looks too much like the Clemson board which is a mess. Sorry gbo ... nothing personal.

Don't like that it pushes the actual post being responded to beyond the bottom of the expandable quote box. I have to expand every quote to see what the latest post is responding to. If we were to keep it, I hope there's a way to justify the quote from the bottom so the last line of the quote is visible without having to expand.