Texas A&M QB Nick Starkel Transferring | Syracusefan.com

Texas A&M QB Nick Starkel Transferring

I would expect us to bring in two QBs most likely PWO. You cant run practice with less than 4.

We keep going over this but TD has been in the system for 2 years. We're not in the market for a grad transfer QB. Devito is getting the keys to the convertible.
I expect you are right, but Dino has to be in the market for a QB who can play in 2019, if needed. There aren’t any ideal options at this point.
TD and Welch being in the system is a plus. Doubt they would scare a grad transfer who has started - but Dino might see that as disruptive.
A true frosh — are we expecting a visit before signing day?
A juco — same question?

So where are we going?

Fellas, I have my concerns but I am now convinced Clay Welch is better than we think. He did good things in the spring game, good grasp of the offense. The staff knows it. Clay just lacks game experience. He's gonna get a lot of reps this spring and summer. Hopefully play during mop up time.. Grab a 2019 and a stud 2020. I'm fine with that.

Last edited:
Welch is good. Ideal size, good high school performance, a year starting in jr college, showed poise in Spring 2018 game, experience in our program.

Not worried about 2020 recruiting.

But ‘grab a 2019’ is a challenge.

Nick Starkel looks to be the real deal but I'd prefer no more Drew Allen experiments.

Welch is good. Ideal size, good high school performance, a year starting in jr college, showed poise in Spring 2018 game, experience in our program.

Not worried about 2020 recruiting.

But ‘grab a 2019’ is a challenge.
It is late in the game but there but we have a hell of an opportunity for a kid in the 2019 class. We now have no QB's in the 2018 and 2019 class and we have a heck of an offense for a QB. Hopefully they have been building a relationship with somebody. Lets flip somebody!

2018 was an anomaly for Syracuse in that the starting QB actually started all 12 games plus the bowl game. How many times has that happened in the last ten years. If Dino doesn't have confidence that a current backup can win a game in the ACC. he should bring in a graduate transfer to provide insurance.

2018 was an anomaly for Syracuse in that the starting QB actually started all 12 games plus the bowl game. How many times has that happened in the last ten years. If Dino doesn't have confidence that a current backup can win a game in the ACC. he should bring in a graduate transfer to provide insurance.
Who says Babers doesn't have confidence? Seems the only ones pushing a QB grad transfer are posters.

Who says Babers doesn't have confidence? Seems the only ones pushing a QB grad transfer are posters.
Not a matter of confidence in Welch or Devito. Just a reality. QBs get hurt. Happens to a lot of teams. Need a 3rd QB. How (true frosh, juco ... ) depends, and of course, patience.

Not a matter of confidence in Welch or Devito. Just a reality. QBs get hurt. Happens to a lot of teams. Need a 3rd QB. How (true frosh, juco ... ) depends, and of course, patience.

Typically if you are on your 3rd QB, you aren't winning a lot of games, no matter how talented the surrounding cast.

Some of you guys act like our QB has never been hurt for half the season. Most big time programs have 3-4 quality QB's. There should be competition at all positions. I hope DeVito has to compete for the starting job every practice, every rep. That's how you get over being mediocre. Dungy had DeVito to push him now DeVito needs someone to push him.

Some of you guys act like our QB has never been hurt for half the season. Most big time programs have 3-4 quality QB's. There should be competition at all positions. I hope DeVito has to compete for the starting job every practice, every rep. That's how you get over being mediocre. Dungy had DeVito to push him now DeVito needs someone to push him.
Tommy pushes himself trust me he has self drive like you have never seen

Tommy pushes himself trust me he has self drive like you have never seen
That self drive won't impact if he gets injured for a game or a half. Odds are he will. The question for me is Clayton Welch talented enough to play and win a game or a half in 2019 against top ACC competition the way Tommy Devito was in 2018. The answer yes or no dictates how we recruit the position right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom