That was the most embarrassing game I can ever remember played inside the dome. | Syracusefan.com

That was the most embarrassing game I can ever remember played inside the dome.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I’ve seen Seton Hall, St Johns, UConn, Pitt and Georgetown handle us all different times over the years, but last night we didn’t belong on the same floor.

Last night Syracuse a top 10 program all time was non competitive from the tip in a nationally televised game. We had zero chance. We looked like a 16 seed playing a one. We were the Washington Generals.

Last night needs to be bottom. We cannot keep going on like this. We need a guard and 2 forwards in the portal if we are serious about running a serious basketball program. If this coach can’t do it then retire.

The only way anyone is going to be happy about anything here is if we get back to the top 25. That’s the expectation. Get it done or leave.

It was bad. But Duke shot like 80% from the field the first 10 mins of the game. That was the difference. It they shoot a more normal percentage the game is a lot closer.

The top 6 teams in the country lost yesterday and 7 of the top 10. We got boat raced at home with 32,000 fans.

I can’t remember the quote exactly, maybe someone does. But a few years ago jim said we can’t be expected to beat a top 5 team or something of that sort (against Virginia). That’s the way he has coached recently. Disgusting how far we have fallen.

Why do you think Duke was able to shoot such a high percentage, from anywhere on the court?
I love when people point out shooting percentages. Like it was just unlucky. It’s high because they were WIDE OPEN!! Good teams play good defense which leads to bad shooting. We gave up wide open shots, in turn duke shot the ball well. It’s part of basketball.

Why do you think Duke was able to shoot such a high percentage, from anywhere on the court?
Defensive rotations were terrible. JB should have started Symir, Buddy, Benny, JBA, Frank from the start understanding that the undersized less athletic lineup would have no shot.

The top 6 teams in the country lost yesterday and 7 of the top 10. We got boat raced at home with 32,000 fans.

I can’t remember the quote exactly, maybe someone does. But a few years ago jim said we can’t be expected to beat a top 5 team or something of that sort (against Virginia). That’s the way he has coached recently. Disgusting how far we have fallen.

Yup. How many times did we beat Georgetown, Pitt, Villanova, and UConn over the years in the dome when they were top 10? Sure we lost some too, but we never didn’t belong on the same floor with them.

Now we have zero shot.

In front of 32K fans and a national TV audience, agree from perspective of visibility.

Earlier this very same season, that embarrassing loss to Colgate while giving up 100 was my recalibrating harbinger for the current state of affairs for SU Basketball. Set the stage for this embarrassment.

Quick
Yup. How many times did we beat Georgetown, Pitt, Villanova, and UConn over the years in the dome when they were top 10? Sure we lost some too, but we never didn’t belong on the same floor with them.

Now we have zero shot.
A quick search found the following:
Boeheim's record against ranked teams: 162-183 Against Top-10: 65-95
Against Top-5: 23-58
Last Top-10 win: Duke 2019. The only Top-10 win since the beginning of that season (1-11).

Unless we somehow, by some miracle, beat Duke in the ACCT, our 40 year streak of registering at least one win versus a top 25 team is over. People are worried about the consecutive winning record streak but IMO this stat is more damning than if we finish 16-17 or something like. It shows that we simply cannot compete against top level teams anymore.

EDIT: UNC might end up being ranked by tomorrow so there might be another opportunity against a ranked team.

So JB will be back next year. It really shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

It’s also looking like this will be JB’s first losing season, barring pulling off an upset over the next two weeks.

If I’m Wildhack I give JB an ultimatum. He has to make the NCAA tournament next year or it’s time to discuss his (forced) retirement. If JB truly doesn’t want to retire anytime soon, then he has to have some accountability for his performance. Maybe the fear of being sent out to pasture will light a fire under JB……….maybe?

It’s also looking like this will be JB’s first losing season, barring pulling off an upset over the next two weeks.

If I’m Wildhack I give JB an ultimatum. He has to make the NCAA tournament next year or it’s time to discuss his (forced) retirement. If JB truly doesn’t want to retire anytime soon, then he has to have some accountability for his performance. Maybe the fear of being sent out to pasture will light a fire under JB……….maybe?
“Make the NCAA tournament“ is not good enough for Syracuse. That’s my minimum expectation.

I was about to say for me it was 1996-1997 West Virginia. They blew us out of the Dome 101-79. All I remember is one run-out dunk after another, I thought they were going to tear the rim down. But if that SU team plays that WVU team 10 times, that happens probably just that 1 time. It was an anomaly. A fluke.

But last night was a different type of embarrassment altogether. Off nights happen. It is another thing altogether to be just so clearly and completely outclassed and dominated for 40 minutes. If our current team plays that Duke team 10 times, that might not beat us that bad every time, but they probably win all 10.

I was about to say for me it was 1996-1997 West Virginia. They blew us out of the Dome 101-79. All I remember is one run-out dunk after another, I thought they were going to tear the rim down. But if that SU team plays that WVU team 10 times, that happens probably just that 1 time. It was an anomaly. A fluke.

But last night was a different type of embarrassment altogether. Off nights happen. It is another thing altogether to be just so clearly and completely outclassed and dominated for 40 minutes. If our current team plays that Duke team 10 times, that might not beat us that bad every time, but they probably win all 10.
That’s my point. We’ve been blown out before, but they were fluky games. Last night we were completely overpowered.

That's not that much of an ultimatum IMO. We've been making the NCAA tourney during the 8 year period of overwhelming mediocrity, living on the bubble as a 10 type seed, etc. As mentioned here, we haven't played a ranked conference game come January since 2014.

How about that ultimatum, being ranked? We need to be ranked at sometime during conference play in 2023. I realize he'll have a new crop of 6-7 kids, but this roster management of his, or lack thereof, is now 8 years in the making.

That's not that much of an ultimatum IMO. We've been making the NCAA tourney during the 8 year period of overwhelming mediocrity. As mentioned here, we haven't played a ranked conference game come January since 2014.

How about that ultimatum, being ranked? We need to be ranked at sometime during conference play in 2023. I realize he'll have a new crop of 6-7 kids, but this roster management of his, or lack thereof, is now 8 years in the making.
We’ve actually only made the NCAA’s 4 times in the last 8 years. Missed it in 15, 17, would’ve missed in ‘20, and will obviously miss in ‘22.

That’s horrible.

Lemoyne exhibition game, don’t even care that it was a practice game. This game I expected us to lose, so it wasn’t all that embarrassing or surprising.

12/21/16 St. Johns' 93 Syracuse 60. The Johnnies were 14-19 that year.
Steve you just noted what the problem has been the last 8 years, we aren't very good.
That is on the Head Coach, JB had been a great coach for most of his time here, but all good things eventually come to an end.
It's time for Jim to move on before things get much worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom