That's a crusher for our tourney hopes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

That's a crusher for our tourney hopes

This is our most realistic chance. Not a chance we go 3-1 the rest of the way. It'll be 2-2 and 1 win in the ACC tourney. If that's not enough, then it's not enough.
Dont give up on 3-1, we are looking tired and or a little under the weather right now. But if we can get our second wind.....we did recently win 5 in a row so 3-1 is far from impossible

Luckily we do get a little break here as far as days off. I believe it is nearly impossible for us to win at Taco Bell arena or wherever. We could easily lose by 25+ in that game. The way Duke played against UNC we would be crushed into dust but I do think we will play them tough and have a puncher's chance.

According to joe lunardi with the way the current bubble is

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-14-00-16-48-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-14-00-16-48-1.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 58
Oh crap I thought 2-2 might do it but now Lunardi said that's what we need without regards to ACC tourney... we better plan to go 3-1 or bust. That guy is the anti-gospel.

Don't he and the other clowns usually err toward it being worse for us than it really is, though?

This is why I thought it was ridiculous that there were people here downplaying the importance of the Pitt loss. An absolute killer for us. Pitt is a garbage team that a team playing for its tourney life has no business losing to.

This is why I thought it was ridiculous that there were people here downplaying the importance of the Pitt loss. An absolute killer for us. Pitt is a garbage team that a team playing for its tourney life has no business losing to.

Curly's Hokies took care of business at Pitt tonight

Don't he and the other clowns usually err toward it being worse for us than it really is, though?

I think it's generally the opposite from having a top communications schools and such a huge presence in the press. There may be some haters reactionary to that a bit in the press but I think an unbiased view would see us at least getting an even deal. Then again I also tend to ignore / gloss over "refs are against us" posts. Yes the refs are bad often and its a very difficult sport to ref but they are bad for both sides and there isn't much evidence for ref or press anti-cuse conspiracy theories these days. Maybe Gottlieb :)

I think it's generally the opposite from having a top communications schools and such a huge presence in the press. There may be some haters reactionary to that a bit in the press but I think an unbiased view would see us at least getting an even deal. Then again I also tend to ignore / gloss over "refs are against us" posts. Yes the refs are bad often and its a very difficult sport to ref but they are bad for both sides and there isn't much evidence for ref or press anti-cuse conspiracy theories these days. Maybe Gottlieb :)

I just meant for tournament predictions. I dont mind if they get some bad press. People make it out like it's all as epic as the current Deadspin article, but I think you're reasoning is more sound than all of that.

If SU shoots like they did against UL they lose to anyone. Yes, UL is tough defensively, but most of the 3s missed were open shots. If White goes 7-24 we lose. This was the first game all season where I was hoping White would NOT shoot the ball when open. He has been so consistent all year and has a game like that. If SU lets Lammers control the boards, we probably lose. On the plus side, if GT plays like they did against BC last game, we win. Our FG%, 3P%, and FT% are considerably higher as a team than GT. GT doesn't have a killer 3-point shooter, although Syracuse seems to make mediocre 3-point shooters into All Americans. All we can do is hope that the GOOD SU shows up.

Drama Queen after Pitt loss - "Our season is over, Our season is over. We have no chance now!!"
Reasonable Person - "Our season is not over, we still have a chance"
Drama Queen - "It's ridiculous that you downplayed the loss"
Reasonable Person - "When did I downplay the loss. It was a very bad loss. But our season is not over"

Drama Queen after Pitt loss - "Our season is over, Our season is over. We have no chance now!!"
Reasonable Person - "Our season is not over, we still have a chance"
Drama Queen - "It's ridiculous that you downplayed the loss"
Reasonable Person - "When did I downplay the loss. It was a very bad loss. But our season is not over"

That's not how it went down. People were acting like it wasn't a huge loss. It was a huge loss, regardless of whether or not we still have a chance after it.

There were people saying "oh well, I already had @ Pitt penciled in as a loss before the season, so no biggie." What? Who cares if it was already penciled in as a loss? They probably didn't pencil in losses to BC, Georgetown, St. John's and UCONN either. They probably also didn't have Pitt penciled in as being terrible, nor us needing all the wins we can get at this point just to make the tournament. It was a very bad loss for our tournament hopes, even if it didn't mean that our season was over (which I never said).

in that case, there have been a bunch of "very bad" losses throughout the season, including @ pitt

Unless we have 20 wins by end of the the ACC tournament I'll be worried come selection Sunday.
I think 20 total wins is the magic number for us. That or we have to slay a couple more dragons.

in that case, there have been a bunch of "very bad" losses throughout the season, including @ pitt

We do have a bunch of very bad losses: Georgetown, St. John's, BC, UCONN, Pitt. The Pitt loss is especially damning because we had appeared to get the ship turned around, only to lose to a team that was 2-8 in ACC play - our most winnable remaining game. That's what makes that such a bad loss.

We do have a bunch of very bad losses: Georgetown, St. John's, BC, UCONN, Pitt. The Pitt loss is especially damning because we had appeared to get the ship turned around, only to lose to a team that was 2-8 in ACC play - our most winnable remaining game. That's what makes that such a bad loss.
yeah and Virginia and Maryland better fold up their programs then!

yeah and Virginia and Maryland better fold up their programs then!

I don't care about Virginia and Maryland. They are both safely in the tournament, even if they lose the rest of their games this season. If you don't think that losing (our 10th loss of the season, btw) to a bad Pitt team (3-10 in the ACC) when we are fighting for our tourney lives was not a horrible loss, then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't care about Virginia and Maryland. They are both safely in the tournament, even if they lose the rest of their games this season. If you don't think that losing (our 10th loss of the season, btw) to a bad Pitt team (3-10 in the ACC) when we are fighting for our tourney lives was not a horrible loss, then I don't know what to tell you.
Winning at Clemson was more significant than losing at Pitt.
Lots of teams lose conference road games to teams they're better than, it's just part of the deal.
The games that put us in this touch-and-go situation were neutral ucon, home SJU, and @ BC - those are the games to b!tch about.
We're in no different place tourney-hopes wise than we were before the @ pitt game.

Winning at Clemson was more significant than losing at Pitt.
Lots of teams lose conference road games to teams they're better than, it's just part of the deal.
The games that put us in this touch-and-go situation were neutral ucon, home SJU, and @ BC - those are the games to b!tch about.
We're in no different place tourney-hopes wise than we were before the @ pitt game.

Yes, I agree that those games put us in the bind that we are in. We still control our own destiny when it comes to making the tournament, obviously, but we are absolutely worse off in our tourney hopes than we would have been with a win. We made things a lot harder on ourselves by losing to a bad Pitt team, making the margin for error much thinner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom