The 3-3-5 | Syracusefan.com

The 3-3-5

I think we should change the name of our defense to the 3-3-8.

338 yards given up to Liberty on the ground. Wow!

This gimmick defense only works if you have 3 beasts up front - not undersized
Reminds me of some of those West Virginia defenses that would give up giant plays because of the same reason you state.

I said a long time ago I was concerned about the DL and their size. I said we’d need 280, 300, 280 along the line and I was told no we don’t not to worry. Well...we need 290/300 all day along in the middle. And it doesn’t matter what defense you play. Wait until next year if Bear doesn’t come back.

It's not a gimmick defense but honestly, you can run a 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5, dime, nickel, big nickel, the 46 defense (pick one, any one)...when you don't have players it doesn't matter what scheme you run you won't have success.

I think very few teams use the 3-3-5 as a base defense. ASU and SDSU. WVU doesn't play ut anymore but Holgerson probably brought it to Houston.

We owned WVU when they plated it. PTG had career days against it.

I am not sold on it. Hope I am wrong.

I think very few teams use the 3-3-5 as a base defense. ASU and SDSU. WVU doesn't play ut anymore but Holgerson probably brought it to Houston.

We owned WVU when they plated it. PTG had career days against it.

I am not sold on it. Hope I am wrong.
I'm with you, frustrating to me everything we do always has to be gimmicky, it'd be great if we could run dinos dream schemes and get the players for them but somehow he still hasnt realized that we cant', seemed like from the presser last week he atleast seemed to indicate they had to scheme for what we had.

I won't draw conclusions about this defense yet. The lack of spring and preseason are not excuses I accept for the offense, but they are for the defense. I saw a lot of stuff on here from respected posters saying they thought we would take some lumps this year after it was announced we were going to it. And that was before we lost spring practice and almost every experienced safety on the roster.

I wish we could do something to adapt though. Bring in a DL at LB to get some size on the field when we're getting run over. Put our best coverage LB at rover and tell him to attack downhill. Something to at least put the other team into an obvious passing situation. I'm sure there would be problems with stuff like that schematically that I don't understand, but man it's difficult watching us get pushed around so bad.

You need the size up front and the ability to make reads up the middle. They were talking about the latter during the highlights of the game on College Football Live. You have a bunch of guys playing right now that can't do that. The players White had at Arizona State were capable players under the system. Zach Arnett and MSU are struggling with it as well and they have the personnel. They're going to take their punches learning a new system.

yeah lets play a normal D its much better to stop the run.. ask BC.. oh wait they gave up 300 yesterday on the ground too..

yeah the injury excuse.. yeah the covid excuse..
Why is Ala gettin gashed on D more then anytime under Saban and he has 5 stars all over.. its a screwed up yr and teams with less talent, new schemes and injuries to the core talent are gonna have issues.

What is interesting his how few big passing plays this D is giving up on top of causing TOs. Thats something to build on.

Little off topic but I saw a stat yesterday that Alabama has given up more points this year than their 2011 championship team gave up the entire season.

Football is about scoring points now. Doesn’t mean it’s acceptable to be giving up 300 yards rushing a game but it’s not unusual to see even bad teams with 400 yards of offense now.

I think the 3-3-5 can work for us, hopefully with some D-line that have some size

I won't draw conclusions about this defense yet. The lack of spring and preseason are not excuses I accept for the offense, but they are for the defense. I saw a lot of stuff on here from respected posters saying they thought we would take some lumps this year after it was announced we were going to it. And that was before we lost spring practice and almost every experienced safety on the roster.

I wish we could do something to adapt though. Bring in a DL at LB to get some size on the field when we're getting run over. Put our best coverage LB at rover and tell him to attack downhill. Something to at least put the other team into an obvious passing situation. I'm sure there would be problems with stuff like that schematically that I don't understand, but man it's difficult watching us get pushed around so bad.
This is a good post.

I think we should change the name of our defense to the 3-3-8.

338 yards given up to Liberty on the ground. Wow!

This gimmick defense only works if you have 3 beasts up front - not undersized

no - it’s young LB not filling gaps properly

yeah lets play a normal D its much better to stop the run.. ask BC.. oh wait they gave up 300 yesterday on the ground too..

yeah the injury excuse.. yeah the covid excuse..
Why is Ala gettin gashed on D more then anytime under Saban and he has 5 stars all over.. its a screwed up yr and teams with less talent, new schemes and injuries to the core talent are gonna have issues.

What is interesting his how few big passing plays this D is giving up on top of causing TOs. Thats something to build on.

Hafley will get it righted and then be the next coach at Bama

(am I doing this right?)

Is there any P5 team that has put up stout D numbers in a season?

To my eye, it is way more than not filling gaps properly. The DL gets washed out or moved back on the majority of snaps. The LBs can not routinely make it into the gaps because there are OL that make it to the second level with little resistance. The LBs are not strong/fast enough to make their run fits; they are not getting off blocks. When the LBs do make their fits, they are often catching the RB rather than driving through them. There are a few exceptions to this, but we need more finishers at LB and Rover positions in the 3-3-5.

Well...it's actually a combination of both. I agree the linebackers are not where they need to be but there are massive holes through the first level that my mother could be running through untouched lol

Definatly not filling proper gaps but not coming downhill either and for every play I see Jones make he gets blocked 3 more. We either need to teach dip and rip bye the blockers or get bigger lb. or at least meet oline at line of scrimmage and fill gap that way.

Another game, another crappy run stopping performance by the D. Nearly impossible to win games when you keep giving your opponent second and short and third and even shorter. Babers and White desperately needs to figure out a way to stop the run. I'm confident our backfield can manage the pass defense. I still say this defense only works if you have three beasts up front which we clearly do not have.

Another game, another crappy run stopping performance by the D. Nearly impossible to win games when you keep giving your opponent second and short and third and even shorter. Babers and White desperately needs to figure out a way to stop the run. I'm confident our backfield can manage the pass defense. I still say this defense only works if you have three beasts up front which we clearly do not have.

We were 109th last year in run defense.

It’s not the scheme.

1604250521970.png

We were 109th last year in run defense.

It’s not the scheme.
Agree with you, but success in the 335 requires the front 3 to at least control or be neutral at the line of scrimmage. That is not even coming close to happening. I guess it doesn't matter though, this entire season is a huge dumpster fire

Mississippi State, which also uses the 3-3-5, continues to get lit up. It's not just SU struggling in their first year. It'll be easier for Arnett because of the talent rich region he's in.

Mississippi State, which also uses the 3-3-5, continues to get lit up. It's not just SU struggling in their first year. It'll be easier for Arnett because of the talent rich region he's in.
Haven’t seen Mississippi State play, but just looking at the scores it seems Leach is having bigger issues on O than he is on D. Alabama lights up most everyone.

There were two upperclassmen playing on the back 8 yesterday. Richards, who has been dinged up all year, and Melifonwu.

That's it, that's the list. Every single other guy is a 1st or 2nd year player, with no spring practice or supervised strength and conditioning.

Is it any wonder, in particular with an undersized DL, that they struggle getting off of blocks and get worn down in the second half. The run support they are getting on the back end is missing Coley, Williams, Jonas, and Cisco. If people don't think that makes a difference, they are nuts. That is a lot of starts, snaps, correct run fills, and bigger bodies that aren't out there.

It's not a gimmick defense but honestly, you can run a 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5, dime, nickel, big nickel, the 46 defense (pick one, any one)...when you don't have players it doesn't matter what scheme you run you won't have success.

Scheme can mask talent deficiencies. That's why so many different defenses exist in the first place.

Example: teams putting 8 in the box to stop the run masks a defense that's light up front.

Example: blitzing makes up for lack of a pass rush from your front 3 or 4.

Example: Nickel and Dime defenses cover up for LBs and DBs who have deficiencies and can't lock up people man-to-man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom