The 5 most unbreakable records in Syracuse basketball history | Syracusefan.com

The 5 most unbreakable records in Syracuse basketball history

Nah - HERE is the most unbreakable record in Syracuse history:

Winningest player in Syracuse history - Brandon Triche. :cool:

From 2009 to 2013, Triche guided the ‘Cuse to an overall mark of 121-26. That is the most triumphs by a Syracuse player in the program’s long history. He averaged 30 victories per season, against 6.5 losses.
You can’t really ask for anything more than that.

What are the odds we ever get a player good enough to start as a Frosh, play every game on teams that average 30 wins a year, and stay all four years??
Never gonna happen again.

What are the odds we ever get a player good enough to start as a Frosh, play every game on teams that average 30 wins a year, and stay all four years??

That's the reason a lot of career records are very safe right now. Have to think Lawrence Moten's scoring record is pretty secure although Tyus would've had a shot if he had stayed his senior year.

Most NCAA tournament wins, Trevor Cooney?
Collective Minds. Blown.

I am always a sucker for articles like this, and I love the rebounds in a game stat. It just goes to show how much different the game was in the 50s and 60s.

34 rebounds by one player in a game; in this past season, we averaged 35.8 rebounds as a team. Just way more missed shots back then. Basketball reference doesnt have our rebounding stats for 52, the first year they have is 1957, we averaged 48.4 rebounds as a team.

I still have eligibility left. ;)

Seriously, though, it's amazing to think that, if not for an injury and a case of poor judgment regarding academic assistance, Triche may have played on three Final Four teams.

I remember the NBA in the late 60s and the 70s, when a bunch of guys averaged 15+ rebs a game and it seemed like some guy (like 6'7' Wes Unseld or Willis Reed) would get 25 or more on any particular day - never could explain this.

I am always a sucker for articles like this, and I love the rebounds in a game stat. It just goes to show how much different the game was in the 50s and 60s.

34 rebounds by one player in a game; in this past season, we averaged 35.8 rebounds as a team. Just way more missed shots back then. Basketball reference doesnt have our rebounding stats for 52, the first year they have is 1957, we averaged 48.4 rebounds as a team.

Maybe if he has a Jimmer-like uptick in his scoring [which seems unlikely]. Moten averaged about ~18ppg his freshman year. JG3 is pretty far off of that pace, and it will be difficult to make up ground.
and JGs senior year he’ll be with Dior and at least 1 more 5-star freshman. Alan Griffin and Buddy will get a lot of shots this year.

I just think JG3 will never be in a position where he’ll need to score 20 a game other than MAYBE his junior year.

If our roster was devoid of shooters and had a pass-first PG; JG could have had a shot

Bold Prediction: I think JG3 challenges that before he leaves the hill

I actually looked up his stats for this past year because he came to mind! JG3 had 398 points this year. Moten had 2334 for his career. JG3 would need another 1,937. If we play 35 games a season, that's roughly 18.5 ppg. I don't think he gets there, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't come in right around 2k for his career.

I actually looked up his stats for this past year because he came to mind! JG3 had 398 points this year. Moten had 2334 for his career. JG3 would need another 1,937. If we play 35 games a season, that's roughly 18.5 ppg. I don't think he gets there, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't come in right around 2k for his career.

Hey, like I said bold prediction. It will be tough but if anyone might do it, it’s probably JG3 lol

Bold Prediction: I think JG3 challenges that before he leaves the hill

He's going to get a lot more firepower around him as a junior and especially as a senior.

Did some quick math and if SU averages 33 games per year over the next 3 (and this year, it doesn't look promising that they'll get any non-conference games IMO), he will have to average 19.6 ppg to get to Moten.

Not saying it isn't possible, but it certainly will not be easy.

I remember the NBA in the late 60s and the 70s, when a bunch of guys averaged 15+ rebs a game and it seemed like some guy (like 6'7' Wes Unseld or Willis Reed) would get 25 or more on any particular day - never could explain this.
It’s always hard comparing eras and imo the true greats are great in any era, but in terms of the 60s/70s, as stated, there were so many more missed shots. You look at the shooting percentages even from centers, and they were like low 40s many times. Which is crazy to think about now. Guys averaging 15 boards back then just can’t be compared to today.

Maybe if he has a Jimmer-like uptick in his scoring [which seems unlikely]. Moten averaged about ~18ppg his freshman year. JG3 is pretty far off of that pace, and it will be difficult to make up ground.

Yes Lawrence was money right out of the gate. Not sure he really gets the credit he should for helping us through the probation period along with Wallace. His freshman year, we knew Dave Johnson was proven. Autry was returning as a sophomore but he wasn't as good as he was going to get. We really needed another scorer. Most thought Anthony Harris had the best shot of that freshman class. I remember watching the game vs FSU on ESPN early that season. Not all the games were televised in those days so it was my first time seeing the team. I didn't think we would have enough to pull that one out until this kid with the high socks came out of nowhere.

It’s always hard comparing eras and imo the true greats are great in any era, but in terms of the 60s/70s, as stated, there were so many more missed shots. You look at the shooting percentages even from centers, and they were like low 40s many times. Which is crazy to think about now. Guys averaging 15 boards back then just can’t be compared to today.

Nate Thurmond is a HOF center, his career FG% was 42.1%. He made 4 straight AS teams from 65-68, and he shot 41.8%! (And yes, 19.6 rebounds in that period)

In 1961, the average team took 109 shots per game, this year? 88.8. The average team had 73.5 rebounds, it's 44 now! 67% more rebounds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom