The "A" teams | Syracusefan.com

The "A" teams

SWC75

Bored Historian
Alabama and Oklahoma meet in the Sugar Bowl tonight. They are two of the most famous football schools in the country. The Tide has been voted national champion in the writer's or coach's poll or won the BCS title game in 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011 and 2012. Football historians also credit them with national titles in 1925, 1926, 1930 and 1934, although those are not unanimous. The Sooners were voted #1 in 1950, 1956, 1956, 1974, 1975, 1985 and won the 2000 BCS title.

These teams have been so good over the years that when I watch a game their in, I assume that they will dominate and come out the winner. Even when they play great rivals like Tennessee and LSU or Texas and Nebraska, the other team always seems like the underdog. Thus, it's fun to see them play each other.

The fact that they have similar uniforms, (biggest difference: the script "OU" on the Sooner's helmets) and both are the state universities of states that have Indian names ending in "A" and that their football teams are primarily what their states are known for underscores the similarities.

It's unfortunate that they haven't played each other nore often in their history. They've met four times with the Sooners holding a 2-1-1 edge. I remember their first meeting, the 1/1/63 Orange Bowl, a coaching battle of titans, Bear Bryant and Bud Wilkinson, which Bryant's team won 17-0, thanks to 31 tackles by linebacker Lee Roy Jordan. The met again in the 1970 Bluebonnet Bowl,a time when both teams were in a down period and experimenting with the wishbone triple option attack as a possible answer. They played to a 24-24 tie. Both became dominant programs the rest of the decade, the Tide going and the Sooners while they won a combined five national titles. Unfortunately, they didn't play each other, wishbone to wishbone, again in that era.

They had their only regular season battles, a home and home series, a decade ago, Oklahoma winning 37-27 in Norman and then 20-13 in Tuscaloosa. At that point the Alabama program was down and Oklahoma was very much up but the games were still very competitive. Right now Alabama has to be the clear favorite but I hope for a competitive game again tonight.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Alabama got way from what should have been it's game plan. they should have been running the ball and draining the clock. Instead they are in a shoot-out with a Big 12 team. Not a good idea. They still have time to return to the running game and try to dominate the seocnd half. But first they need a stop.

wfschrec

Minister Of Defense
Alabama got way from what should have been it's game plan. they should have been running the ball and draining the clock. Instead they are in a shoot-out with a Big 12 team. Not a good idea. They still have time to return to the running game and try to dominate the seocnd half. But first they need a stop.

Agreed ... what baffles me is it seems like the Bama WRs get really good separation ... its almost like they could throw it 50 yards at a time if they chose to ... but like you said ... a shootout is a bad move at this point.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Well, the Sooners really showed 'em. They have been kind of in low gear in recent years, not as dominant as they were and a notch below national title contention. It looks like they are coming back strong and with that young quarterback will be a team to watch out for next year.

wfschrec

Minister Of Defense
Yeah they had a great game plan coming in ... it will be interesting to see how the B12 shapes up next year.

SWC75

Bored Historian
I wonder what Drew Allen's thoughts were watching that game.

Mine is that he'd still have been watching that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lamizana43

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom