The ACC drops to 2nd place | Syracusefan.com

The ACC drops to 2nd place

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
in conference academic ranking due to the addition of Louisville.

After all 26 upcoming conference alignment changes are applied, using the current US News & World Report rankings, the B1G's average school rank is 58.36 (down from 57.58) and the ACC's average school rank is 58.50 (down from 50.08). If Notre Dame were to go all-in on the ACC then the conference would regain its standing as the highest ranked academic conference.

For complete details see my "FBS Conference Academic Rankings".

This is the only negative thing about adding UofL. $ over academics. Have to keep the conference alive.

Sucks. Would've preferred Maryland stayed. But they suck as financial stewards. Guess you can suck in sports and in athletic department management and still be rewarded with more money. Makes sense to me. God Bless America.

After all 26 upcoming conference alignment changes are applied, using the current US News & World Report rankings, the B1G's average school rank is 58.36 (down from 57.58) and the ACC's average school rank is 58.50 (down from 50.08). If Notre Dame were to go all-in on the ACC then the conference would regain its standing as the highest ranked academic conference.

Why wouldn't you include ND, they are for everything but football and hockey.

if a midget walks in the room, the average height goes down but I won't feel any shorter.

This is the only negative thing about adding UofL. $ over academics. Have to keep the conference alive.

It isn't even $ over academics. UL adds nothing to the bottom line.

Agree. I'm sure if this overall ranking mattered enough to the ACC, they would certainly include ND. They are an ACC school.

Because this whole game of musical chairs is about football and the $$$ associated with it.

I added an entry for "ACC w/ND" which has an average school rank of 55.73.

you guys really think any of this involves academics!!! They should invite Northeastern University. A school that is now higher ranked than Syracuse in the rankings. I myself take crap for this b/c I went to Syracuse and my delinquent brother went to NU.

No reason LVille can't make a commitment to improving their academics.

Ahhhh.

Which do you think is harder? A good academic school improving the competitiveness of a few teams or a school trying to greatly improve its overall academic profile?

Louisville is fundamentally a commuter school in a poor state with an "urban" mission. It's take decades for them to make the sort of fundamental change you are suggesting.

Granted it's basketball but they had the highest rated college basketball market every year for the past 10 years. They may (or may not) bring more $value$ to the bottom line than Maryland did.

Ahhhh.

Which do you think is harder? A good academic school improving the competitiveness of a few teams or a school trying to greatly improve its overall academic profile?

Louisville is fundamentally a commuter school in a poor state with an "urban" mission. It's take decades for them to make the sort of fundamental change you are suggesting.

Doesn't seem that hard to me. People here suggest Syracuse academics slipped because they loosened admission standards. Does tightening admissions increase your academic standards over a 4 or 5 year period?

I've never really understood the 'urban' 'commuter' school thing. I don't see how that makes a school less smart.

Given the composition of the new Big East (Memphis, Boise, Houston, San Diego St), Louisville's move to the ACC might actually decrease the academic ranking of both conferences!

Doesn't seem that hard to me. People here suggest Syracuse academics slipped because they loosened admission standards. Does tightening admissions increase your academic standards over a 4 or 5 year period?

I've never really understood the 'urban' 'commuter' school thing. I don't see how that makes a school less smart.

Phat ... it's a matter of scale.

UL moving up 50 or 60 or 70 places in ranking is a huge, huge distance.

This isn't like SU slipping a few places. What you are suggesting is a monumental, never-happened-before improvement in the academic standards of a school.

As to the "commuter" school thing. Let's look at the population of Kentucky high school seniors. Where do you think the best students from the best high schools want to go to school? Now work your way down the food chain. Where do you think the kids with low SATs and mediocre grades go to school?

The inclusion of UofChicago in the B1G is really disingenuous, imo and greatly skews the ranking. What is their ranking if UofC is taken out?

Lville has doubled it's ticket sales and contributions in the last 5 years. Their reported revenue was 16th highest in D1 in 2011. They are more than self sustaining, and that's with BEC distributions.

In 2011 of the BCS programs that report, Louisville had tickets sales greater than all but OU, Tex, A&M, Mich, Neb, OSU, PSU, Wisc, Bama, Ark, Aub, UK, LSU, UT.

There isn't an ACC that moved more ticket dollars than Louisville, and their rights/licensing revenues were $16M, and that's with only the $3.6 that BE schools get. For context Clemson was $19M and FSU was $27M. Take out the TV dollars and FSU and Louisville are comparable in that area.

UL is certaintly additive.

The ACC drops to 2nd place in conference academic ranking due to the addition of Louisville.

Remind me again who this REALLY matters to?

...Other than pompous academia snobs who pretend big time college athletics is any more about scholastic achievement than Pro Wrestling is about athletic competition.

I could care less if ACC slipped to the 10th ranked conference - so long as Syracuse is still considered a good school and our teams stay relevant athletically.

The inclusion of UofChicago in the B1G is really disingenuous, imo and greatly skews the ranking. What is their ranking if UofC is taken out?
I didn't include Chicago as they don't play football in the B1G.

If you follow the link you can see exactly which schools are included in each conference's ranking.

Remind me again who this REALLY matters to?
Methinks many alums (especially those that are not so sports-minded) would prefer if their alma mater was associated with other schools of similar "prestige". Is it a bit snobbish? You bet. It's not limited to academia. If you're into fashion and like to be well dressed I would expect you to enjoy mingling (and possibly be seen mingling) with other fashion-oriented people.

I didn't include Chicago as they don't play football in the B1G.
Okay. Yesterday, someone posted the listings and it included Chicago in the B1G. I just assumed...:oops:

if a midget walks in the room, the average height goes down but I won't feel any shorter.

Yea but, you can't get much shorter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure Louisville's poor academic standing will be made much of at the news conference.

Does this mean Jim and Rick are friends again?

Ahhhh.

I agree with you in principle. In Louisville's case, they're already dedicated to improving their academics. They had done so and before joining the Big East they had to re-affirm that commitment for the sake of ND and the Hoops schools (I believe Pitt and Syracuse were also pushing this). They have improved consistently. I've no doubt that they had to re-affirm again for the ACC. Also, being in the ACC will help the academic perception as it did for FSU.

Your comment on the difficulty for a commuter school to do so is dead on. Cincy, when forced to take the city school, was academically downgraded and has been crawling out of that hole for 40 years, in spite of having an excellent academic record before the merger of the two schools.

I wanna like the above post twice... Frankly, I'd like it ten times if the forum would allow me.