The ACC vs. the Big East of Old | Syracusefan.com

The ACC vs. the Big East of Old

Van111

Starter
Many say our new conference (ACC) is the best ever put together in BB. I am sure there is and will be much debate on this as we move through our rookie year in this new league, with more to come. But are we as good as what the Big East was in its hay day? This is what the Big East would have looked like at the top this year had it not fallen apart.

SU 8-0 #4
UL 7-1 #7
UConn 7-0 #12
Nova 8-0 #14
Pitt 8-0 NR
Cincy 7-0 NR
Providence 8-2 NR

Not to mention a host of teams that on any given night could beat any one of the above or any one else in the country...(Notre Dame, St. Johns, Marquette, West Virginia just to name a few)
Compare that to any league this year. No, the Big East, or at least what it used to be will not be quickly forgotten. The ACC has a shot, but other than the elite of our league, they aren't in the same catergory. Plenty of work to do, and I say it may not be coincidental that SU and Pitt find themselves at the top of the ACC so early on.

the ACC has no idea what top-to-bottom strength even means and they haven't for years where the big east was always strong "top-to-bottom" (for the most part...i think you know what i mean)

the ACC has no idea what top-to-bottom strength even means and they haven't for years where the big east was always strong "top-to-bottom" (for the most part...i think you know what i mean)
Totally agree, except for those FCS teams Depaul and South Florida! :)

The Big East from about 1992 through 2004 was not a strong "top-to-bottom" conference.

The ACC hasn't been either in a long time. And as I have stated in several posts, it will take 3-5 years before the synergy of the new programs coming in mixes in with the Duke-UNC mystique to get to where the BE was from 2009-2013. But when it gets there, and it will get there, it will exceed in term of top-to-bottom strength not to mention at the top level where all of the branding is anyway.

The original BE got 7 of 9 teams to the tourney in 1991, but none of them made it to the Final Four, so most don't even remember that. Most don't forget that the OBE had three FF teams or the nnBE had three number seeds in 2009 with 2 final four teams and 5 Elite 8 teams. The ACC will develop into that shortly, imho. Just got to be patient.

Cheers,
Neil

Many say our new conference (ACC) is the best ever put together in BB. I am sure there is and will be much debate on this as we move through our rookie year in this new league, with more to come. But are we as good as what the Big East was in its hay day? This is what the Big East would have looked like at the top this year had it not fallen apart.

SU 8-0 #4
UL 7-1 #7
UConn 7-0 #12
Nova 8-0 #14
Pitt 8-0 NR
Cincy 7-0 NR
Providence 8-2 NR

Not to mention a host of teams that on any given night could beat any one of the above or any one else in the country...(Notre Dame, St. Johns, Marquette, West Virginia just to name a few)
Compare that to any league this year. No, the Big East, or at least what it used to be will not be quickly forgotten. The ACC has a shot, but other than the elite of our league, they aren't in the same catergory. Plenty of work to do, and I say it may not be coincidental that SU and Pitt find themselves at the top of the ACC so early on.

I would like to see December be SU's Big-East-Lite schedule with games against Georgetown, St.Johns (MSG), and Villanova every year. I really like this year's tougher pre-conference schedule. I think the Georgetown and Villanova games help us with recruiting.

F UCONN

Totally agree, except for those FCS teams Depaul and South Florida! :)

Yea, because Syracuse would never lose a game at either of those team's home courts ever.

Wait.

The Big East from about 1992 through 2004 was not a strong "top-to-bottom" conference.

The ACC hasn't been either in a long time. And as I have stated in several posts, it will take 3-5 years before the synergy of the new programs coming in mixes in with the Duke-UNC mystique to get to where the BE was from 2009-2013. But when it gets there, and it will get there, it will exceed in term of top-to-bottom strength not to mention at the top level where all of the branding is anyway.

The original BE got 7 of 9 teams to the tourney in 1991, but none of them made it to the Final Four, so most don't even remember that. Most don't forget that the OBE had three FF teams or the nnBE had three number seeds in 2009 with 2 final four teams and 5 Elite 8 teams. The ACC will develop into that shortly, imho. Just got to be patient.

Cheers,
Neil
I believe there is a justifiable reason for the BE not getting to a final those years. Plain and simple, the BE Refs allowed teams to literally beat each other up, smack down games I call them. Flagrant 1's were play on in those days in the BE. That brand is what didn't work come tournament time as the rules changes for the players. I think the best team in dealing with both play types was UCONN and hence why they had so much more success than other schools. I think if the ACC stays the way it has always been, pretty much a finesse league, this may bode well for us down the road. Lets face it, the 2-3 wasn't near as effective in the Big East as it is with evreyone else. I for one can't wait for leaugue play this year.

Yea, because Syracuse would never lose a game at either of those team's home courts ever.

Wait.
10-4 all time against Depaul and 10-1 against SFLA.

I would like to see December be SU's Big-East-Lite schedule with games against Georgetown, St.Johns (MSG), and Villanova every year. I really like this year's tougher pre-conference schedule. I think the Georgetown and Villanova games help us with recruiting.

F UCONN

I like it, but I would amend it so that the St. John's, Nova, and BiG opponent are in December, but the Hoyas, if they ever get around to signing the contract, is sometime in late January or month of February. I, for one, miss that one huge OOC game that was played during conference times. And what better game to showcase in that window but one of the greatest rivalry games of all-time?

Cheers,
Neil

Agree. I loved the old late Jan/Early Feb OOC games. Playing MSU in '03 helped pave our way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom