The All 2000’s Syracuse basketball team | Syracusefan.com

The All 2000’s Syracuse basketball team

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Does Tyus make it in your, I’ll give it 9, man rotation? I’m not Boeheim, you get 9.

Tough to do based on his body of work, assuming we're working with the normal number of positions (two starting guards, two forwards, a center, and a reserve for each position). Tyus could theoretically play the 2 or the 3, but I'd probably already be all set with guards (Flynn/Scoop/Waiters) and small forwards (a wealth of guys at this position, with Anthony the obvious starter and Wes Johnson behind him). And guys like Devendorf and Gbinije would come before Tyus as well.

So...no. Can't see a way to make it happen.

Though it would've been cool to watch Battle play on a good up-tempo team and watch him take defenders one-on-one in transition.

Tough to do based on his body of work, assuming we're working with the normal number of positions (two starting guards, two forwards, a center, and a reserve for each position). Tyus could theoretically play the 2 or the 3, but I'd probably already be all set with guards (Flynn/Scoop/Waiters) and small forwards (a wealth of guys at this position, with Anthony the obvious starter and Wes Johnson behind him). And guys like Devendorf and Gbinije would come before Tyus as well.

So...no. Can't see a way to make it happen.

Though it would've been cool to watch Battle play on a good up-tempo team and watch him take defenders one-on-one in transition.
Can format the 9 based on the players you know and how you’d think they’d work after watching them.

I agree, it would have been interesting to see Tyus on a more dynamic team with some players like Flynn or K Jo who penetrated and demanded the defense’s attention.

I guess I’d put..

Flynn, MCW
Waiters, Devo
Melo, Wes
Hak, Grant
rak

Very hard keeping G, Rick, AO, Rautins, Nichols, Battle and even Mali out.

Can format the 9 based on the players you know and how you’d think they’d work after watching them.

I agree, it would have been interesting to see Tyus on a more dynamic team with some players like Flynn or K Jo who penetrated and demanded the defense’s attention.

I guess I’d put..

Flynn, MCW
Waiters, Devo
Melo, Wes
Hak, Grant
rak

Very hard keeping G, Rick, AO, Rautins, Nichols, Battle and even Mali out.

I like your roster. I maybe swap in Rick Jackson for Grant?

I love Tyus but there are almost 10 guards I would rather have (your rotation calls for only 3), in no particular order. *If Tyus could have ever gotten his 3pt shot over 35%, then he would have catapulted half of this group.

Rautins, Waiters, Flynn, Devo, GMAC, MCW, Ennis, Silent G, Scoop, Edelin (the year he was eligible and in shape)

You probably couldn't even get him on a team of 15, let alone 9. Hes probably like the 8th best guard at syracuse since 2000 (9 if you count 2000 guys so Hart is in there)

G - Flynn, Dion, Andy, Gerry
F - Wes, Melo, Warrick, Grant
C - Rak

Last edited:
Maybe, just feel like Grant was a huge momentum building guy with his outrageous putback slams. Devo and Johnny see one of those and it turns into run and gun beat them by 40 time.

How lucky we were jeez

Its close. To me it really comes down to who you would rather have as a second "bulldog" behind Waiters.

I think my roster would consist of:

Anthony
McNamara
Warrick
Wes J
Dion
MCW
Flynn
Grant
Either Devo, Triche, Silent G or Battle for that last spot.

I love Tyus but there are almost 10 guards I would rather have (your rotation calls for only 3), in no particular order. *If Tyus could have ever gotten his 3pt shot over 35%, then he would have catapulted half of this group.

Rautins, Waiters, Flynn, Devo, GMAC, MCW, Ennis, Silent G, Scoop, Edelin (the year he was eligible and in shape)

I see what you’re saying. Of this list I feel like only Waiters, Flynn, Devo, G and maybe senior Andy could’ve done a better job than Tyus with the pieces available.

I see what you’re saying. Of this list I feel like only Waiters, Flynn, Devo, G and maybe senior Andy could’ve done a better job than Tyus with the pieces available.
Umm, are you too young to remember GMAC taking Terrance Roberts, Watkins, MCroskey crew to Big East Titles? He played on a busted wheel most of 2 years because there was literally nobody else.

I mean, we have a tee shirt made up for those teams “not 10 f’n games”

Umm, are you too young to remember GMAC taking Terrance Roberts, Watkins, MCroskey crew to Big East Titles? He played on a busted wheel most of 2 years because there was literally nobody else.

I mean, I agree that Gerry is better than Tyus... but he also had Devo and Nichols on that team who would have probably been the best player on this years team.

To be honest my eyes glanced over g mac’s name on the list.

School stopped for days listening to gmac’s big east run on a small radio in our middle school classroom. I remember.

Uh, no.

RickJack, much like AO, was a very solid, but not spectacular player for us.
They both get a lot of love (and deservedly so, as part of one of our very best TEAMs EVER), but neither was an elite college player.

Uh, no.

RickJack, much like AO, was a very solid, but not spectacular player for us.
They both get a lot of love (and deservedly so, as part of one of our very best TEAMs EVER), but neither was an elite college player.

His senior year he was Big East DPOY, 2nd Team All Conference and AP Honorable Mention All American.

Not saying he was Shaq, but he was a really good player.

Its close. To me it really comes down to who you would rather have as a second "bulldog" behind Waiters.

Anthony
McNamara
Warrick
Wes J
Dion
MCW
Flynn
Grant

I agree with most of your list, although I'd be down to Devo or Silent G -
depending on whether you valued scoring & swag (Devo), or a do-it-all Swiss Army kinda guy (Silent G).

I could also see swapping in either CJ Fair or Lydon for Grant, if you wanted an elite glue-guy/garbage man & midrange guy (Fair), or some 3pt shooting and shot blocking (Lydon), from a guy who could also play some 5.
Speaking of the 5 - you don't have a center.
You could add Rak Christmas (Sr. version) or Fab (Soph).

His senior year he was Big East DPOY, 2nd Team All Conference and AP Honorable Mention All American.

Not saying he was Shaq, but he was a really good player.

Yes, I know all of that.
He did have a Shaq-like FT % tho, barely over 50% for his career.

If you want to play Rick at the 4, who do you bump?
Not Melo, Wes, or Hak.

And if you're going to have an actual 5, I'd choose Rak or Fab over Rick, and maybe even Lydon -
given that he's got the "stretch 4" part of the modern game, and still some very solid rim protection too.

Rak Sr Yr: 17.5pts 9.1reb 2.5blocks
Rick Sr Yr: 13.1pts 10.3reb 2.5 blocks

Rick's game was all within 5' and closer to the rim.
Rak had a very versatile game, including a legit faceup J.
And shot over 70% from the line his last 2 seasons.

Am I not remembering history correctly or is Nichols not regarded as well as he should be? He wasn’t Hak or Wes but I remember his senior year being very good.

PG) Michael Carter-Williams
SG) Dion Waiters
SF) Carmelo Anthony
PF) Wes Johnson
C) Fab Melo

Anthony
McNamara
Warrick
Wes J
Dion
MCW
Flynn
Grant
You all realize AO's FG% was amazing his senior year correct? oh and on the best SU team ever...

I agree with most of your list, although I'd be down to Devo or Silent G -
depending on whether you valued scoring & swag (Devo), or a do-it-all Swiss Army kinda guy (Silent G).

I could also see swapping in either CJ Fair or Lydon for Grant, if you wanted an elite glue-guy/garbage man & midrange guy (Fair), or some 3pt shooting and shot blocking (Lydon), from a guy who could also play some 5.
Speaking of the 5 - you don't have a center.
You could add Rak Christmas (Sr. version) or Fab (Soph).

All good points. I included triche because some players just know how to win and he was one of them. I also realize there wasn’t a true center on that list but felt that Warwick and Grant were capable of holding down the five spot. Leaving off Christmas and AO was probably the hardest two.

Am I not remembering history correctly or is Nichols not regarded as well as he should be? He wasn’t Hak or Wes but I remember his senior year being very good.

Well its a couple of things... you wanted a 9 man rotation so you need Forwards that can steal minutes at C, which makes Grant and Hak much more valuable than him (esp when you consider Wes and Melo are light years better) and secondly he probably gets dinged a little because he stat stuffed on a not very good team when the rest of these guys (except grant) put up as good or better numbers on significantly better teams too (which they were the best player on).

Nichols is probably 5-6th with Shumpert.

What's the criteria?

Is this an all star team [i.e., the best at each position, irrespective of fit] or an exercise in mixing and matching the best group of complimentary players?

You all realize AO's FG% was amazing his senior year correct? oh and on the best SU team ever...

Yup, shows the talent we got a few years ago that we aren’t getting right now. He be the best player on this year‘s team and yet was the third option on his own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom