The Athletic on playoff expansion | Syracusefan.com

The Athletic on playoff expansion

SWC75

Bored Historian
The objections against it - and for the bowls- seem to be melting away:

"And now, Playoff expansion?! Not the usual random, just-for-fun speculative expansion content, but actual newsy developments? Do you know how many years I’ve spent shooting down questions about 16-team brackets, only to have sources tell me and Andy Staples this week that, yep, that’s on the table?'

"It’s not looking good for our friends in bright blazers. Just as many predicted for years, the Playoff started devaluing the bowls almost as soon as it began in 2014, and the erosion only grew as more and more star players opted out of them. But last year felt like a turning point. Even given the unusual circumstances, the fact that more than 20 Power 5 teams (and Boise State) opted out of bowl season entirely proved a real eye-opener for how those games are viewed today. Reverence for the bowl system helped fend off a Playoff for as many decades as it did, but in our reporting for Wednesday’s story, it became clear that the fate of the bowls is no longer very high on ADs and commissioners’ list of concerns."

I felt for years that there were way too many bowl games, (a dozen will do), but I've also felt that there's no reason to lose them to a playoff: the preliminary rounds of a playoff could take place in December with the championship in a bowl game and the teams that didn't make the final could still go to a bowl game and end their season on a positive note. virtually all the bowls have no bearing on the national title anyway: why would a playoff put them out of business? And if it would , doesn't mean that a playoff is a better system anyway?

I think they should detach the bowls from the playoff entirely, and return the prominent bowls to their historical relationships - i.e. Rose Bowl with Top B1G and Pac 12 teams not in the playoff and after that whatever happens, happens. Maybe less prominent bowls stick around, maybe they don't. The problem with many of the bowls are that they are matchups no-one cares about in locations that people don't care to travel to. Just sports TV filler for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom