The Bearded Man | Syracusefan.com

The Bearded Man

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
One thing you have to love about Shrader is that he is, for want of a better phrase, "old school tough."

The team seems to have more fire and I know that some of it comes from believing that Shrader is one of them. He is as tough as a linebacker and takes responsibility even for things that go wrong...even for things he is not actually responsible for. That is what a "teammate" does.

If a receiver is open even a little, Shrader isn't afraid to make the throw. Maybe he will complete the pass, maybe he won't, but he isn't shy about taking the chance. The old saying "the enemy of a good plan is the quest for a perfect plan" is not something you have to worry about with him.

The other thing is that if somebody gets in the backfield, it doesn't mean an automatic sack. You have to do more than breathe on Shrader to get him to go down...a LOT more.

It is nice to feel excited about the team again. It is nice to have at least the hope that the guys will be rewarded with a trip somewhere in a couple of months. It is nice to think that ACC foes can no longer view us as a gimme and a laughingstock. We may not win...Shrader might not have a good game every time out...but the other team is going to know that they were in a fight. And that fight will be with a team and a QB that is not going to roll over.

984B644B-146F-41C4-B465-EE9195F925A9.jpeg

One thing you have to love about Shrader is that he is, for want of a better phrase, "old school tough."

The team seems to have more fire and I know that some of it comes from believing that Shrader is one of them. He is as tough as a linebacker and takes responsibility even for things that go wrong...even for things he is not actually responsible for. That is what a "teammate" does.

If a receiver is open even a little, Shrader isn't afraid to make the throw. Maybe he will complete the pass, maybe he won't, but he isn't shy about taking the chance. The old saying "the enemy of a good plan is the quest for a perfect plan" is not something you have to worry about with him.

The other thing is that if somebody gets in the backfield, it doesn't mean an automatic sack. You have to do more than breathe on Shrader to get him to go down...a LOT more.

It is nice to feel excited about the team again. It is nice to have at least the hope that the guys will be rewarded with a trip somewhere in a couple of months. It is nice to think that ACC foes can no longer view us as a gimme and a laughingstock. We may not win...Shrader might not have a good game every time out...but the other team is going to know that they were in a fight. And that fight will be with a team and a QB that is not going to roll over.

He’s what QB1 should be.

We’re lucky to have him and Tucker in the backfield.

He’s exactly what this program needed.

So glad that we have him for a couple years, can’t wait to see what he does.

kind of kid that makes other players want to play with him.

He has the stuff that legends are made of!

Beautifully said Dick. He doesn't fear his opponent and most importantly he doesn't fear failure. He's not stat hunting but because he's not he's also piling up the stats. I'm not sure I completely approve of the reckless attitude he has for his body but that's his game.

There is no denying Tucker's talent and I am a huge fan.

Shrader has been the MVP of the season IMO.

He should use the beard for merchandising. Who wouldn't want an orange t-shirt with just a black beard on it? How about a beard that you can wear? Imagine 500+ students wearing novelty beards to the games?
An orange mask with a black beard on it. Since we are all forced to wear them anyway.

I haven’t changed mine in 20,years, think it’s time with the first smile I’ve seen the guy crack yet.

My avatar is a scan of the autograph that Ernie gave me. It resides on my desk, and as an aside every one of the other Orange autographs on the piece of paper eventually played in the NFL. Good haul for young me.

Anyway, I will use it forever because it seems that I need the express written consent of the Davis family to use a different avatar. Apparently it is reserved for his great, great nephew and after that it is “fair game”, whatever that is supposed to mean. It makes no sense and I can’t think of anything else that would ever be like that but I’m helpless to change the policy.

Good thing I would never want to change it anyway.

Say all you want about him being a running or dual threat QB, that man (and he is a MAN back there) stood in there like a pro and ate a hellacious shot to get that throw off to win the game.

That takes big brass ones to watch it coming and taking it in the chops full speed and stand there and deliver the ball.

He should use the beard for merchandising. Who wouldn't want an orange t-shirt with just a black beard on it? How about a beard that you can wear? Imagine 500+ students wearing novelty beards to the games?
Those are good. The novelty beard is gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom