The Best Burger Joint in Every P5 College Town | Syracusefan.com

The Best Burger Joint in Every P5 College Town

Now you know why the football has to be so good. The food is terrible and no one would go there otherwise.

Alabama sounds like 7 layers of hell for a food lover. I sincerely feel for their linemen, whose relationship to food is... somewhere close to your relationship with your spouse. Its intense.

I'm fortunate to live in a place that has fantastic food. More than 2 dozen restaurants have been featured on national shows, within 20 minutes of my home. When I'm not eating near home? I'm usually terribly disappointed in quality. Alabama sounds horrifying.

One local restaurant featured is historically interesting. Its a horse drawn carriage. Not a gimmick. Been there since 1912. It holds the Guinness book of world records for parking tickets...hahh. a ticket a day from 1912 to 1974. The owner would pay cash- on the spot- and the ticketing officer(usually a group) would give back the $$ for food,, and then purchase more, to assure no hard feelings. The carriage was so beloved, that the town voted for, and approved to give the owner- a non city employee- a paid vacation from the city. Guy made a hell of a burger, and we freaking like good food. The state, and county, at that time was predominantly libertarian. They all said screw it, and paid the man for his contribution to the community.

The new owner does it the same way. You still enter the horse drawn carriage. He goes to the field, and picks the grass fed Angus he will serve, and locally sources as much as possible. The caveat? That's just where we go to after the bars close...lol. That's just our drunk food. (Lines 100 long) Even sober, its the best $3 burger I've ever had.

Man vs. Food segment? They did hot dog/poutine. Locals? Burger/poutine. Its the burger. Although... fries are Belgium style.(best fries in the world) Thats near and dear to my heart. My grandfather escaped Hitler's wrath, as a Belgian(illegal immigrant)His dad stood in German firing lines in WW1, as he was hunted in the woods. A part of the German atrocities in Belgium. Belgian fries? You've prolly had fair fries - hand cut. Good, but soggy and potatoey. Belgian? Cool those fries for 2-3 hours. Fry em again. You get the crispness of flavorless fast food fries, and the depth of fair fries. Best of both. Do it. My son is both Belgian(dutch/flemish) and viking. He still demands fresh mussels, as served to my grandfather on the docks of Antwerp in the early 1900's. Incredible. A family tradition that we've literally filled the bathtub with. (Bushels) Proper Belgian mussels are a delight. Get the fries right? That's the national dish of Belgium. If your feeling lazy, a proper artisan loaf of French bread will suffice.

Our "low end" drunk food quality is so high, that any restaurant that charges more has to beat it, or they instantly go out of business. Our 2cnd child? He craved that place once or twice a week from the womb...smart kid.

As far as cuse goes... is there a good burger? I'm very interested in Angry Garlic. The short rib/brisket burger blend tells me they're trying. I suspect the effort shows. Is there any place near campus that drops a good burger? In 2 or 3 years, my kid has yet to find one.that remotely comes close to home :-(

One of the worst professional burgers that I've ever seen made was from
Gordon Ramesy. It was meatloaf. Most of his stuff is good, but the guy is clueless on a basic burger. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Alabama sounds like 7 layers of hell for a food lover. I sincerely feel for their linemen, whose relationship to food is... somewhere close to your relationship with your spouse. Its intense.

I'm fortunate to live in a place that has fantastic food. More than 2 dozen restaurants have been featured on national shows, within 20 minutes of my home. When I'm not eating near home? I'm usually terribly disappointed in quality. Alabama sounds horrifying.

One local restaurant featured is historically interesting. Its a horse drawn carriage. Not a gimmick. Been there since 1912. It holds the Guinness book of world records for parking tickets...hahh. a ticket a day from 1912 to 1974. The owner would pay cash- on the spot- and the ticketing officer(usually a group) would give back the $$ for food,, and then purchase more, to assure no hard feelings. The carriage was so beloved, that the town voted for, and approved to give the owner- a non city employee- a paid vacation from the city. Guy made a hell of a burger, and we freaking like good food. The state, and county, at that time was predominantly libertarian. They all said screw it, and paid the man for his contribution to the community.

The new owner does it the same way. You still enter the horse drawn carriage. He goes to the field, and picks the grass fed Angus he will serve, and locally sources as much as possible. The caveat? That's just where we go to after the bars close...lol. That's just our drunk food. (Lines 100 long) Even sober, its the best $3 burger I've ever had.

Man vs. Food segment? They did hot dog/poutine. Locals? Burger/poutine. Its the burger. Although... fries are Belgium style.(best fries in the world) Thats near and dear to my heart. My grandfather escaped Hitler's wrath, as a Belgian(illegal immigrant)His dad stood in German firing lines in WW1, as he was hunted in the woods. A part of the German atrocities in Belgium. Belgian fries? You've prolly had fair fries - hand cut. Good, but soggy and potatoey. Belgian? Cool those fries for 2-3 hours. Fry em again. You get the crispness of flavorless fast food fries, and the depth of fair fries. Best of both. Do it. My son is both Belgian(dutch/flemish) and viking. He still demands fresh mussels, as served to my grandfather on the docks of Antwerp in the early 1900's. Incredible. A family tradition that we've literally filled the bathtub with. (Bushels) Proper Belgian mussels are a delight. Get the fries right? That's the national dish of Belgium. If your feeling lazy, a proper artisan loaf of French bread will suffice.

Our "low end" drunk food quality is so high, that any restaurant that charges more has to beat it, or they instantly go out of business. Our 2cnd child? He craved that place once or twice a week from the womb...smart kid.

As far as cuse goes... is there a good burger? I'm very interested in Angry Garlic. The short rib/brisket burger blend tells me they're trying. I suspect the effort shows. Is there any place near campus that drops a good burger? In 2 or 3 years, my kid has yet to find one.that remotely comes close to home :-(

Gordon Ramesy. It was meatloaf. Most of his stuff is good, but the guy is clueless on a basic burger. Suggestions welcome.

Has your son tried Ale n Angus?
Downtown near the Hockey Arena (War Memorial)

Has your son tried Ale n Angus?
Downtown near the Hockey Arena (War Memorial)
According to the NY Beef Council. CNY has 7 of the 10 top burgers in the state.

I recommend Ale n Angus or the Blarney Stone. Both are excellent.

Strange that 3 of the top 10 are within a few miles of each other near Central Square. Central Square is not a bad place but I don’t consider it the center of the burger universe in the state.

Closest to campus is XO Taco. Great burger at a hip taco place that's popular with undergrads.

Farther out, there are some downtown. Ale n Angus; 317 on Montgomery; The Evergreen. Probably others I'm forgetting.

Shifty's is really not very far from campus, it's a neighborhood bar known for live music but they've got great burgers.

Blarney, mentioned in the OP, is solid. Worth a try, in my opinion.

Thank you for all the Ale N Angus recs. I had no idea such a great burger was 1 block away from Hotel Syracuse where my wife and I stay for games. Definitely going to have to put this on the rotation when I am there, burgers are the best!

Btw, not for burgers but I find most of the food at O’Shaugnessy’s pub pretty good, I get the Reuban a lot which I love but all the bar fare is really solid.

Blarney lost the wing crown imo but it is undoubtedly the best burger in town.

other competitors in the downtown area being:

ale n angus
Hops spot
Evergreen

What the hell is wrong with Alabama? First Chuck E Cheese for pizza and now Hardee’s for burgers?

Best Italian restaurant: Olive Garden

Best steakhouse: Outback

Best deli: Subway

Best sports bar: Buffalo Wild Wings

Best butcher shop: Walmart

Best hardware store: Home Depot

Last edited:
Best Coffee: Pilot Truckstop

Best Burger: McDonald's

Best Car: 1987 Yugo

Best College: UConn

tenor.gif