The Best Burger Joint in Every P5 College Town

sutomcat

Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner MPG (special again)
Staff member
There's a cilantro gene, or something. They can actually test for it. It makes Cilantro taste like white chalk, and you will never, EVER, like the taste of Cilantro. I love it, but its always an ask when serving, because half my family despises the stuff.
True.

RandomGuy

All American
He also does a brisket sandwich with southern slaw on top. That’s actually their best seller
That sounds fantastic! How far from campus? And what do they consider southern slaw? Vinegar based?

I do a Cuban smoked pork(marinated in bitter orange) rice and beans,(garlic lime) with Latin slaw. The Latin slaw is lime, a touch of honey, and potato sticks...topped with Garlic lime crema, and Caribbean Scotch Bonnet hot sauce... /Cilantro(so freaking good). Looks like I'll be turning those into "burgers"...lol. thanks!

Last edited:

690West

Moneyline Master
That sounds fantastic! How far from campus? And what do they consider southern slaw? Vinegar based?

I do a Cuban smoked pork(marinated in bitter orange) rice and beans,(garlic lime) with Latin slaw. The Latin slaw is lime, a touch of honey, and potato sticks...topped with Garlic lime crema, and Caribbean Scotch Bonnet hot sauce... /Cilantro(so freaking good). Looks like I'll be turning those into "burgers"...lol. thanks!
They are in Dewitt, so 10-ish minutes from campus

djcon57

Hall of Fame
See that USC has Tommys which is literally my pick for worst burger joint there is in the US. Immediate stomachache and bathroom breaks for the next two days

RandomGuy

All American
Hot take: the delta between mediocre burger and great burger is far narrower than it is for foods like pizza, hot dogs, BBQ, tacos, pancakes, etc.
Agreed. Even our HS football burger is pretty darn good. Enough to sell a few thousand a night. Maybe it's the atmosphere? There is something perfect about the smoke of hundred's of grilling burgers wafting through the stands, while cheering on the home team. 2020 sucked. I can't wait for Friday nights!

OrangeDW

GIRARD STARTS. DAY ONE.
Okay, best cheap burger in every state. Don't think I've had a single one of these, even in my home state.

And now I'm hungry.

The Tavern in Eagle Bay(near old forge). Hole in the wall bar that only serves food for a few hours a day(maybe 12-4?), but the burgers are great, big, and inexpensive. This place has come through as a great burger lunch stop on many Adirondacks trips for me.

EnviroSciGuy

Resident woody plant obsessive
The Tavern in Eagle Bay(near old forge). Hole in the wall bar that only serves food for a few hours a day(maybe 12-4?), but the burgers are great, big, and inexpensive. This place has come through as a great burger lunch stop on many Adirondacks trips for me.
Can't believe I've never checked this out. Thanks for the tip!

samspann1

Living Legend
I wonder how many people in the DC area consider Ben's Chili Bowl a burger joint.

I'm surprised that Matt's Bar & Grill in Minneapolis didn't get the nod in Minnesota. They're one of the claimed inventors of the "Juicy Lucy".

For folks passing through WNY, check out Grover's, just east of Buffalo. Great (and huge) burger - the building was supposedly Grover Cleveland's hunting lodge, hence the name.

Top Bottom