The Best Burger Joint in Every P5 College Town | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The Best Burger Joint in Every P5 College Town

There's a cilantro gene, or something. They can actually test for it. It makes Cilantro taste like white chalk, and you will never, EVER, like the taste of Cilantro. I love it, but its always an ask when serving, because half my family despises the stuff.
True.

He also does a brisket sandwich with southern slaw on top. That’s actually their best seller
That sounds fantastic! How far from campus? And what do they consider southern slaw? Vinegar based?

I do a Cuban smoked pork(marinated in bitter orange) rice and beans,(garlic lime) with Latin slaw. The Latin slaw is lime, a touch of honey, and potato sticks...topped with Garlic lime crema, and Caribbean Scotch Bonnet hot sauce... /Cilantro(so freaking good). Looks like I'll be turning those into "burgers"...lol. thanks!

Last edited:
That sounds fantastic! How far from campus? And what do they consider southern slaw? Vinegar based?

I do a Cuban smoked pork(marinated in bitter orange) rice and beans,(garlic lime) with Latin slaw. The Latin slaw is lime, a touch of honey, and potato sticks...topped with Garlic lime crema, and Caribbean Scotch Bonnet hot sauce... /Cilantro(so freaking good). Looks like I'll be turning those into "burgers"...lol. thanks!
They are in Dewitt, so 10-ish minutes from campus

See that USC has Tommys which is literally my pick for worst burger joint there is in the US. Immediate stomachache and bathroom breaks for the next two days

Hot take: the delta between mediocre burger and great burger is far narrower than it is for foods like pizza, hot dogs, BBQ, tacos, pancakes, etc.
Agreed. Even our HS football burger is pretty darn good. Enough to sell a few thousand a night. Maybe it's the atmosphere? There is something perfect about the smoke of hundred's of grilling burgers wafting through the stands, while cheering on the home team. 2020 sucked. I can't wait for Friday nights!

Okay, best cheap burger in every state. Don't think I've had a single one of these, even in my home state.

And now I'm hungry.

The Tavern in Eagle Bay(near old forge). Hole in the wall bar that only serves food for a few hours a day(maybe 12-4?), but the burgers are great, big, and inexpensive. This place has come through as a great burger lunch stop on many Adirondacks trips for me.

The Tavern in Eagle Bay(near old forge). Hole in the wall bar that only serves food for a few hours a day(maybe 12-4?), but the burgers are great, big, and inexpensive. This place has come through as a great burger lunch stop on many Adirondacks trips for me.
Can't believe I've never checked this out. Thanks for the tip!

I wonder how many people in the DC area consider Ben's Chili Bowl a burger joint.

I'm surprised that Matt's Bar & Grill in Minneapolis didn't get the nod in Minnesota. They're one of the claimed inventors of the "Juicy Lucy".

For folks passing through WNY, check out Grover's, just east of Buffalo. Great (and huge) burger - the building was supposedly Grover Cleveland's hunting lodge, hence the name.

I wonder how many people in the DC area consider Ben's Chili Bowl a burger joint.

I'm surprised that Matt's Bar & Grill in Minneapolis didn't get the nod in Minnesota. They're one of the claimed inventors of the "Juicy Lucy".

For folks passing through WNY, check out Grover's, just east of Buffalo. Great (and huge) burger - the building was supposedly Grover Cleveland's hunting lodge, hence the name.
I do not in any way consider Ben's a burger joint. It was a must visit spot when we moved here and at no point was a burger recommended.

Grover's is excellent. Used to work nearby and be able to stop during lunch when there wasn't a giant line. Best thing about the line were the morons coming for the 1st time and didn't know they needed to write their name on the little chalkboard and would be able to get ahead of them all. Always ordered the Bruiser and man was that thing awesome. Be basically comatose the rest of the workday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom