The Best Pizza Joint in Every P5 College Town | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The Best Pizza Joint in Every P5 College Town

Why does it seem that there's a mandated minimum number of burned spots on pizzas baked in a wood-fired oven? I rarely, if ever, get actual black, carbonized burned spots on pizzas baked in gas or electric ovens from any place else. Local places, Domino's, Little Caesar' Papa John's, it doesn't matter. Only the wood-fired is burnt. And to rain on another parade, pizzas from a wood-fired oven don't taste any better.
Your right. It doesn't taste any better. You still need to make a good pizza. Its the crust. It brings everything together. It goes from wonder bread to a complex artisan bread, imo.

I worked at a pizza shop for years when I was in college. We served customers pizza off the conveyor belt. When an employee made a pizza for themselves? Every single one fired up the old slate oven. Hands down better. Same damn ingredients. Same deal at home. Pizza grill has run out of propane, and had to finish in the conventional oven. Its a What the hell happened? difference...

I freaking love those little burnt spots. That's what happens at 900 degrees, compared to your home oven. And yes, those spots do add flavor, but im partial to smoked food and BBQ. Not for everyone.

Last edited:
Your right. It doesn't taste any better. You still need to make a good pizza. Its the crust. It brings everything together. It goes from wonder bread to a complex artisan bread, imo.

I worked at a pizza shop for years when I was in college. We served customers pizza off the conveyor belt. When an employee made a pizza for themselves? Every single one fired up the old slate oven. Hands down better. Same damn ingredients. Same deal at home. Pizza grill has run out of propane, and had to finish in the conventional oven. Its a What the hell happened? difference...

I freaking love those little burnt spots. That's what happens at 900 degrees, compared to your home oven. And yes, those spots do add flavor, but im partial to smoked food and BBQ. Not for everyone.

I've found the main thing that kills a restaurant/take-out pizza for me more often than anything else is the sauce.

Some really bad sauces ruin an otherwise acceptable pizza. The quality of the mozzarella is important and you're right the crust can make a big difference.

If you’re a fancy man, Apizza is good too.

Thats prolly why they started making pizza rules in Italy.

Take a Margherita pizza. To the disdain of other royalty, Queen Margherita loved pizza- peasant food. Sent her guards out for delivery..lol. Royal chef finally made her pizza. Red sauce, white mozzarella, and green basil, to represent Italy's flag. A pizza fit for the Queen.

So there are rules. A true Margherita pizza, is allowed only flower, tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and basil. (Maybe a touch of salt.) When I order a true Margherita pizza, I know EXACTLY what I'm getting. Do I want some garlic? Duhh. Yes.

A (true) Margherita is a little bland for me, but ill take a good one, any day over something with crappy sauce.

Take a Margherita pizza. To the disdain of other royalty, Queen Margherita loved pizza- peasant food. Sent her guards out for delivery..lol. Royal chef finally made her pizza. Red sauce, white mozzarella, and green basil, to represent Italy's flag. A pizza fit for the Queen.

So there are rules. A true Margherita pizza, is allowed only flower, tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. (Maybe a touch of salt.) When I order a true Margherita pizza, I know EXACTLY what I'm getting. Do I want some garlic? Duhh. Yes.

A (true) Margherita is a little bland for me, but ill take a good one, any day over something with crappy sauce.
I am enjoying this thread greatly. Even if I can't eat pizza because I am on keto.

I am going to mention a chain here...a controversial move to be sure. But Blaze Pizza is in DeWitt, just off Erie Blvd near Dick's and Shoppingtown . Their prices are good, they make your pie fresh, you can customize it to the nth degree and if you like your crust extra crispy (that is me), they will be happy to oblige.

Their ovens are gas fired and run at an average temperature of 700 degrees. You can get a decent crisp in those things.

If you like a thin crust pizza, there are worse options.

In the no longer available, but not forgotten realm, Bill's Bakery on Burnet Ave in Eastwood used to make a sheet pizza that was really good. The crust was pretty thick, which is not my favorite, but those square slices were solid.

Best Pizza in town was the Italian Chef on the Northside of Syracuse. I think they have a location in Utica. Greasy sauce was the best with the combination of the crust.

Best now for me has to be the Varsity. But will give Mario Salvo a try.

I was a big fan of Pasquale’s in Fayetteville for a time too. But now loyal to Mario

I am enjoying this thread greatly. Even if I can't eat pizza because I am on keto.

I am going to mention a chain here...a controversial move to be sure. But Blaze Pizza is in DeWitt, just off Erie Blvd near Dick's and Shoppingtown . Their prices are good, they make your pie fresh, you can customize it to the nth degree and if you like your crust extra crispy (that is me), they will be happy to oblige.

Their ovens are gas fired and run at an average temperature of 700 degrees. You can get a decent crisp in those things.

In the no longer available, but not forgotten realm, Bill's Bakery on Burnet Ave in Eastwood used to make a sheet pizza that was really good. The crust was pretty thick, which is not my favorite, but those square slices were solid.

Speaking of non-traditional suggestions, I'll throw Angotti's on Burnet Ave into the mix. Old school Italian restaurant that makes a solid NY-style pizza. Last I knew, you could get a large cheese pizza from them for $10. Only downside is they don't do wings.

Best Pizza in town was the Italian Chef on the Northside of Syracuse. I think they have a location in Utica. Greasy sauce was the best with the combination of the crust.

Best now for me has to be the Varsity. But will give Mario Salvo a try.
Italian Chef in Utica is no longer open, but that was a good place.

Speaking of non-traditional suggestions, I'll throw Angotti's on Burnet Ave into the mix. Old school Italian restaurant that makes a solid NY-style pizza. Last I knew, you could get a large cheese pizza from them for $10. Only downside is they don't do wings.

A little doughy for our downstate friends. But agree with the rest, and the price is right.

Their garlic pie might be better than the traditional.

A little doughy for our downstate friends. But agree with the rest, and the price is right.

Their garlic pie might be better than the traditional.

Yeah a little thicker than true NY-style but not overly thick (like Buffalo style). The dough is delicious though and so is the sauce.

So there are rules. A true Margherita pizza, is allowed only flower, tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and basil. (Maybe a touch of salt.) When I order a true Margherita pizza, I know EXACTLY what I'm getting. Do I want some garlic? Duhh. Yes.

My cousin is one of the owners of Area 4 in Cambridge (I think they have another location or two, but Cambridge was the original). They went to Italy to get trained and certified for official Margherita making process, and they had the wood oven imported. I am a NJ guy and like our pizza, and I have been to Italy and had the original product too, but I liked the product at Area 4, and recommend it to you as a Boston area guy.

My cousin is one of the owners of Area 4 in Cambridge (I think they have another location or two, but Cambridge was the original). They went to Italy to get trained and certified for official Margherita making process, and they had the wood oven imported. I am a NJ guy and like our pizza, and I have been to Italy and had the original product too, but I liked the product at Area 4, and recommend it to you as a Boston area guy.
Thanks! I have no problem driving to Boston - just for a cannolli (better than NYC). A good pizza AND a cannoli? That sounds like a plan. ;-)

Tom does Blaze have the keto crust in Syracuse? I've gotten it a few times, it's not terrible.

Tom does Blaze have the keto crust in Syracuse? I've gotten it a few times, it's not terrible.
Yes they do. Last time I was there, they had a keto crust and a cauliflower crust option. It was weird because the cauliflower option was more keto than the keto option.

I just checked and it looks like they only have a keto option now, and it looks cauliflower based.

I haven’t tried either. I have only been there a couple of times, ordered normal crust and just ate the top. How sad. You don’t understand how important crust is for pizza until you eat it without it.

I came close to trying one of the low carb crusts, but I watched some videos of people trying them and their reaction was enough to convince me to not give them a try. They didn’t bad mouth the crust and said generally positive things but I got bad vibes. If someone on the board has tried the keto crust and liked it, please step up. Would love to hear the straight scoop on this option.

Yes they do. Last time I was there, they had a keto crust and a cauliflower crust option. It was weird because the cauliflower option was more keto than the keto option.

I just checked and it looks like they only have a keto option now, and it looks cauliflower based.

I haven’t tried either. I have only been there a couple of times, ordered normal crust and just ate the top. How sad. You don’t understand how important crust is for pizza until you eat it without it.

I came close to trying one of the low carb crusts, but I watched some videos of people trying them and their reaction was enough to convince me to not give them a try. They didn’t bad mouth the crust and said generally positive things but I got bad vibes. If someone on the board has tried the keto crust and liked it, please step up. Would love to hear the straight scoop on this option.
With many things of the keto ilk, as pizza crust, it's not great, but as keto pizza crust, it's not bad.

Thanks! I have no problem driving to Boston - just for a cannolli (better than NYC). A good pizza AND a cannoli? That sounds like a plan. ;-)
The best pizza in Boston is Regina Pizzeria, hands down. A very very close runner-up is Santarpios in Eastie. Santarpios is VERY expensive though.

And then people say "tHoSe PlAcEs ArE tOuRiSt TrApS"

Alright, cool. The pizza is still the best in the city.

The best cannolis in the city are at Bova's Bakery in the North End. Stop by for one after you have the gnocchi bolognese at Monica's across the street. (Open 24/7 too, in non-global pandemic times) :)

Hanover Street, ‘nuff said.

They've been closed a while but gotta give a "hall of fame" shout out to Gregorio's. Some damn tasty thin crust sheet pizza. I loved how their 2 slice lunch special was like $2 forever and always. The total would come to $2.04 but they'd never charge the change, just give you a wink, nod, and thanks. Then you'd open up the box and there would be a 3rd bonus piece in there that just made you feel special. Nestled in between Twin Trees and Tipp Hill they sure knew their clientele. It didn't matter if you were Irish, Polish, Russian, or Chinese, you'd walk out of there feeling like you were Tony Soprano getting hooked up at Satriale's, lol.