The Big Attendance Story | Syracusefan.com

The Big Attendance Story

orange2win

2nd String
I just did some figuring. Over the last decade or so, our average home game attendance has been 19,151 for the first 11 games. This year thru 11 games average attendance at the Dome is 24,566. That's 28.3% higher.

Last year Kentucky was first in national attendance with 23,099 per game. We were second with 22,439. Louisville was third with 21,251. This means we are well ahead of Kentucky for last year and our average will climb as the season goes on.

Why is attendance so much larger this year? Well, obviously it must be our great little team that is ranked #2 in the nation. Right? Sorry, but I don't think that is the case. In 2011-12, by week 11, we had been ranked #1 nation for six straight weeks, which is even better. Our average attendance through 11 games in 2011-12 was 20,607. We are 19.2% higher this year.

So if not the team, why are numbers so much higher this year?

I just did some figuring. Over the last decade or so, our average home game attendance has been 19,151 for the first 11 games. This year thru 11 games attendance at the Dome is 24,566. That's 28.3% higher.

Last year Kentucky was first in national attendance with 23,099 per game. We were second with 22,439. Louisville was third with 21,251. This means we are well ahead of Kentucky for last year and our average will climb as the season goes on.

Why is attendance so much larger this year? Well, obviously it must be our great little team that is ranked #2 in the nation. Right? Sorry, but I don't think that is the case. In 2011-12, by week 11, we had been ranked #1 nation for six straight weeks, which is even better. Our average attendance through 11 games in 2011-12 was 20,607. We are 19.2% higher this year.

Indiana
Nova
UNC

I just did some figuring. Over the last decade or so, our average home game attendance has been 19,151 for the first 11 games. This year thru 11 games average attendance at the Dome is 24,566. That's 28.3% higher.

People bought seasons' tickets to get their hands on the Duke game and maybe a few others. I am sure some people did it solely to attempt to sell those tickets at a profit. The real question is: the way Duke has been playing; is that game going to lose luster by the time it is played like the Carolina game did??

It is definitely tied to the December Saturday game versus Villanova, B1G-ACC challenge game against the brand hated in CNY for 1987 Indiana, and last Saturday's North Carolina game. Those 3 are why we have such a high surge thus far. I doubt next year St. John's will match the Villanova crowd, but if we get another home/home with Georgetown started maybe it can replace it and keep it high.

It is definitely tied to the December Saturday game versus Villanova, B1G-ACC challenge game against the brand hated in CNY for 1987 Indiana, and last Saturday's North Carolina game. Those 3 are why we have such a high surge thus far. I doubt next year St. John's will match the Villanova crowd, but if we get another home/home with Georgetown started maybe it can replace it and keep it high.

I hear you, but where does Colgate fit in your theory. 21,085 last year; 25,519 this year.

Our attendance is so much higher because of joining the acc

I hear you, but where does Colgate fit in your theory. 21,085 last year; 25,519 this year.
I don't remember last year, but was Colgate on Saturday like this year? Typically attendance is higher on the weekend's then weeknight games.

Season tickets are by far the main reason.
I doubt the walk-up/individual game sales for Indiana.. let alone any of the OOC games.. were large at all.
Looked like there were a ton of people who resold that game.

If StubHub did not exist, our official number would be even higher than it currently is.
There is a lot of reselling happening from people who have seasons - but are using them to go to only Duke/UNC/Nova... or try to flip for a profit.

The stars perfectly aligned this year with all of our marquee games happening on Saturdays.
No way that happens next year.

mccroskey
roberts
watkins

I was more excited about the duke game a month ago
Not me. I think the more we win and the closer we get it's more exciting watching this team. I don't care if Duke is 20-0, 0-20 or 10-10. It's still Duke and they are going to bring it. However if we are still undefeated (and I hate to even type those words) you know it is going to be even a bigger game than people think.

UNC game was awesome. Pitt is going to be awesome and Duke is going to be off the charts awesome.

IIRC, Syracuse.com had a story pre-season that the attendance cake had already been baked - SU set a record for season ticket sales that virtually guaranteed an attendance level that UK could not possibly match.

I think that was answered by TDTOrange, it's a result of more season tickets sold in order to get the Duke, Villinova, UNC seats. The tickets are counted regardless if someone is in the seat.

There was a huge buzz when the schedule was finalized and included Duke, UNC, Indiana and Nova at home. There might be a view other smaller reasons but many people viewed this as the best home schedule ever.

dome dog now with sriracha sauce

sriracha.jpg

I think that was answered by TDTOrange, it's a result of more season tickets sold in order to get the Duke, Villinova, UNC seats. The tickets are counted regardless if someone is in the seat.

Everyone pre-season expected Duke and UNC to be their usual dominant selves, setting up That proving to be false, if you are correct, then we can expect ticket sales to plummet next year
There was a huge buzz when the schedule was finalized and included Duke, UNC, Indiana and Nova at home. There might be a view other smaller reasons but many people viewed this as the best home schedule ever.

I think that's a satisfactory answer.

Here is another interesting observation on attendance. About 5 years ago, the BE moved from assigning us 8 home games per year to 9. However, total games played at the Dome (excluding exhibitions) have typically been held to 19 per year (OC games thus changed from 11 to 10). In the ACC we are back to 8 conference home games, but total home games are down this year to 18. This surprises me.

24,566 x (average ticket price) = a lot of dough to pass up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom