The Big East Is Reaping What Its Founder Sowed | Syracusefan.com

The Big East Is Reaping What Its Founder Sowed

Alsacs

Living Legend
This article is a too early for my taste but its true.

http://deadspin.com/5842935/the-big-east-is-reaping-what-its-founder-sowed

Dave Gavitt knew the future of Providence College basketball couldn't sustain itself and so his plan was to hitch PC's wagons to other programs in a conference that would allow it compete and remain in a power conference. Really this whole conference boils down to protect a Catholic school in the smallest state in the country with an enrollment of 3,850 the ability to play major basketball. Now I know SU benefited from the Big East, but ask yourself if we needed the conference more than these other schools. While I realize we aren't North Carolina or Kentucky the Dome would always be a recruiting tool for SU.

That's a ngood article. The Big East has been inherently unstable because the schools in it have had different athletic programs and different priorities.

I actually wrote to Jake Crouthamel some years back about this, advocating that the football schools break off and find football playing partners for a 12 team conference. I said i was afraid that maimi might leave if we didn't make a move like that. He told me that the idea that the Big east schools had different priorities and outlooks was "bunk" and that "Miami isn't going anywhere". :rolleyes:

That's a ngood article. The Big East has been inherently unstable because the schools in it have ahd different athletic programs and different priorities.

I actually wrote to Jake Crouthamel some years back about this, advocating that the football schools break off and find football palyign aprtners for a 12 team conferecne. I said i was afraid that maimi might leave if we didn't make a move like that. He told me that the idea that the Big east schools had different priorities and outlooks was "bunk" and that "Miami isn't going anywhere". :rolleyes:
Lol! ... no wait :bang:

As for Gavitt, the article's argument is compelling and the perfect rhetoric for flipping the moral high-road pundits the bird :)

A good article but check Big East Wikipedia mike t says the 5 to3 vote against penn st pitt was not a voting member and syracuse voted for penn st. thats the 1st time basketball school only hurtus then in 1995 let notre dame in and signalled the eventual end of coference so no one to blame but themselves.