The Big Lie Exposed again | Syracusefan.com

The Big Lie Exposed again

Louie and Bouie

Starter
Once again, NBA combine exposes the big lie of height exaggration at the college level.

Cursory review shows it' pretty consistent across the board with a few players a full 2" shorter than there listed height.

Of interest- Battle is 6'5" (not 6'6") and Grayson Allen is only 6'3" (not 6'5").

It's comical to me that pretty much everyone does it. Never understood the practice as to why as it gets exposed year after year.

Are the college measurements with or without sneakers?

Once again, NBA combine exposes the big lie of height exaggration at the college level.

Cursory review shows it' pretty consistent across the board with a few players a full 2" shorter than there listed height.

Of interest- Battle is 6'5" (not 6'6") and Grayson Allen is only 6'3" (not 6'5").

It's comical to me that pretty much everyone does it. Never understood the practice as to why as it gets exposed year after year.

It's not really a big lie. Tyus Battle measured close to 6-7 in sneakers. He doesn't play barefoot, so he's 6-6 3/4 when he's on the court. Syracuse listed him at 6-6. The listings seem pretty accurate, actually.

Last edited:
I always look at their height as adjusted for inflation. I guess it makes sense - they should be measured in shoes as they play in shoes. Maybe wingspan is more important. I don't know

I feel like they report the heights accurately for combine purposes, and then when they are playing in the NBA they go right back to the inflated height measurements.

It's not really a big lie. Tyus Battle measured close to 6-7 in sneakers. He doesn't play barefoot, so he's 6-6 3/4 when he's on the court. Syracuse listed him at 6-6. The listings seem pretty accurate, actually.

You've bought in for sure. Measurement of height is not done with shoes on from your birth through your time growing up. Every time you go to get your height measured at your doctors they ask you to remove your shoes.

The size of your sneaker sole should have zero bearing on your height. If so, then guys could show up to combine with 3'' heels.

Its not important, for sure, but heights provided by sports programs are without shoes and all of them are higher than at the combine. Silly to think otherwise.

So I'll modify and call it a small lie.

Are the college measurements with or without sneakers?

They take both measurements but more publicized is without shoes. That's why there is internet chatter about G. Allen and L. Walker today. Much shorter than previously advertised.

They take both measurements but more publicized is without shoes. That's why there is internet chatter about G. Allen and L. Walker today. Much shorter than previously advertised.

the combine takes both. I'm not so sure college does.

Not a very "big" lie.

It's done to add drama, I guess.

I can remember back 100 years ago when I was playing HS football and was reading a sheet that listed to heights and weights of our upcoming opponent.

I said to my friend, "We're toast. These guys are huge".

My friend told me to look at the back of the sheet where our stats were listed. Our weights and heights were similarly inflated.

What's the saying, "Believe none of what your hear and half of what you see."?

Besides, I've been told that that isn't a way you measure a basketball player. It's from the bottom of his feet to the tips of his fingers with his arms raised.

You've bought in for sure. Measurement of height is not done with shoes on from your birth through your time growing up. Every time you go to get your height measured at your doctors they ask you to remove your shoes.

The size of your sneaker sole should have zero bearing on your height. If so, then guys could show up to combine with 3'' heels.

Its not important, for sure, but heights provided by sports programs are without shoes and all of them are higher than at the combine. Silly to think otherwise.

So I'll modify and call it a small lie.

Bought in to what? The colleges list their heights with shoes on, probably because that’s how tall they are on the court. Why would anyone care what height they are in bare feet. The Haas kid from Purdue is nealry 7-3 with shoes on. Purdue listed him at 7-2. Where’s the lie again?

“Simply put, Haas is a giant. Enough so that Purdue, which listed Haas at 7-foot-2 and 290 pounds this year, was actually kind of underselling it. Remember that NBA (and typically college teams) list a player’s measurements in shoes. That means Haas, who was 7-foot-2.75 in shoes is closer to 7-3. He weighed more as well at 303 pounds, had a 7-5 wingspan and the draft’s second-largest set of hands. He is a large human being.”

The combine heights with shoes on are very close to the college listed heights. Grayson Allen is 6-4 1/2 with shoes on. Listed at 6-5 at Duke. Who cares? Everyone knows people are taller with sneakers on and most everyone is aware that their measurements are with shoes on.

Last edited:

Lonnie Walker is listed at 6-5 at Miami. 6-4 1/2 today in shoes. Same as Grayson Allen.

Cool! I never thought of myself as a six-footer, but I'm sure with the right shoes (It's all about the shoes!) I can justify it.

but heights provided by sports programs are without shoes and all of them are higher than at the combine.

Ah...here’s the issue. You think colleges use barefeet measurements. They don’t. Just like the NBA, college programs list heights with shoes on.

Really relatively irrelevant. You can play or not, if Battle is truly 6'5" and not 6'6" it doesn't change whether he can play or not. Scouts get all wound up about measurements because its something they can objectively measure and it balances the fact that they suck at evaluating talent and ability.

mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u1.jpg

An inch or two is not much of a lie. I always saw Grayson listed as 6'4" so 6'5" isn't exactly a big stretch. And, as others have said, the college heights are likely with shoes on.

Whether they are measured with or without shoes shouldn't create huge discrepancies. What leaves me scratching my head are sneakers that might add one and a half to two inches to someone's height. Admittedly, my playing days are well behind me, but in well over two decades on the courts, from Chuck Taylors to Pumas to Nikes to New Balance, I don't think I ever owned a pair of basketball shoes that added as much as a 1/2 inch to my height, if that. I just assumed that when the AD's apparatchiks are putting together programs, they simply asked the kids, "How tall are you?", and that's what is listed. And, it isn't all that rare for the number to be completely fictional. Or, wishful thinking!

Whether they are measured with or without shoes shouldn't create huge discrepancies. What leaves me scratching my head are sneakers that might add one and a half to two inches to someone's height. Admittedly, my playing days are well behind me, but in well over two decades on the courts, from Chuck Taylors to Pumas to Nikes to New Balance, I don't think I ever owned a pair of basketball shoes that added as much as a 1/2 inch to my height, if that. I just assumed that when the AD's apparatchiks are putting together programs, they simply asked the kids, "How tall are you?", and that's what is listed. And, it isn't all that rare for the number to be completely fictional. Or, wishful thinking!

Chucks add about an inch and that's without a 'heel' or drop to them. Most basketball shoes nowadays have a slight heel/drop, which adds some more height.

To those who say "you play in sneakers so you're height should be listed with sneakers" ...do you then believe weight should be done with shoes and clothes on? if no.why not? the reason it makes sense to measure without shoes is because we are looking for empiric data. not everyone is wearing the same shoes. Teams that are investing resources and millions of dollars into these kids want real information for which to make decisions.

as far as height in general, I think people are wildly off on heights. i know many guys that say they are 6 feet tall when in fact they are 5'10 or 5 11...a 6 foot tall person (legit 6 foot, not with shoes) is actually quite tall. in the US, a 6 foot tall male is in the EIGHTY SECOND percentile. yet if you ask guys, almost all of them that arent obviously short, claim to be 6 feet tall Now some of them are just lying..others really think they are that tall .

I heard Osun Osunniyi is only 5-10, not 6-10, (it was a misprint). So we dodged a bullet there.

was he wearing herman munster shoes ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom