The big recruiting weekend is over. | Syracusefan.com

The big recruiting weekend is over.

Interviews with recruits? Reactions on their visit? Whether it solidified their decision?

Plenty to write about.
What's the value in that? They're all going to say they loved it. It's all about adding to the story, and there's not a story there, especially if they've all been here already and their minds are already made up. Again, it's not the Post Standard's job to do SU's PR.

And if they said it solidified their decisions, many on this board would say that the guys were solid the whole time and that Bailey is just fishing for clicks.

What's the value in that? They're all going to say they loved it. It's all about adding to the story, and there's not a story there, especially if they've all been here already and their minds are already made up. Again, it's not the Post Standard's job to do SU's PR.

And if they said it solidified their decisions, many on this board would say that the guys were solid the whole time and that Bailey is just fishing for clicks.

So basically you're saying that if there's nothing negative to report, then it amounts to PR.

And even if it was all roses, half the freaking class just ov'ed. How that went is pretty significant.

So basically you're saying that if there's nothing negative to report, then it amounts to PR.

And even if it was all roses, half the freaking class just ov'ed. How that went is pretty significant.

That sounds like an "alternate fact" ;)

Does anyone think there's a surprise or two to come on Wednesday? Would love to see this class bolstered with a DL or another power RB.

No. What I'm saying them visiting is the story because the NCAA dictates how many visits you can take, and visiting has become important. Who cares what they did this weekend? It's the same thing that players did on OVs this weekend and last weekend and last year and a decade before that. They got treated well, got a taste of the life, and went home happy.

From experience, including two years working as a news producer and two years TA'ing for the broadcast journalism program in Newhouse, that is not a story.

Which is why I say it's PR and nothing else. Because the only thing that comes out of it is that Syracuse University is a great place to go, and everyone can't wait to go there. Sure, it's nice to hear. But it's not news. It's an advertisement.

Now, if someone made up their mind because of the trip, that's something. But nothing changed. No one was convinced or un-convinced. Things didn't change at all for better or for worse. That's why it's not news.

The Post Standard does a fine job on the football and basketball side. More coverage then we've ever had.

Now, if someone made up their mind because of the trip, that's something. But nothing changed. No one was convinced or un-convinced. Things didn't change at all for better or for worse. That's why it's not news.

You don't know that. One of the kids just came back from a 3 day visit to Michigan after having Harbaugh personally visit him the previous weekend.

You don't know that. One of the kids just came back from a 3 day visit to Michigan after having Harbaugh personally visit him the previous weekend.
If anything at all came out of this weekend, it would have been reported.

UG. The story could be that the staff is finding it's legs while there has been a record amount of decommits at other schools. Or how about what has changed with the new staff and AD dept on these big weekends?

I mean - this idea that they shouldn't be the PR machine for the university is not the line to worry about. The line is "will our readers find this interesting?" I can think of a dozen more things I'd like to know about the weekend.

But no scandal, no story. (Eh - the writers were on a bar tour anyways, so moot point).

No. What I'm saying them visiting is the story because the NCAA dictates how many visits you can take, and visiting has become important. Who cares what they did this weekend? It's the same thing that players did on OVs this weekend and last weekend and last year and a decade before that. They got treated well, got a taste of the life, and went home happy.

From experience, including two years working as a news producer and two years TA'ing for the broadcast journalism program in Newhouse, that is not a story.

Which is why I say it's PR and nothing else. Because the only thing that comes out of it is that Syracuse University is a great place to go, and everyone can't wait to go there. Sure, it's nice to hear. But it's not news. It's an advertisement.

This is why they are failing. Find an angle that is news. I'm sure some of these kids have never been to the area. Did they see any weird stuff at the airport (given the news this weekend). etc.

Repeat after me: It doesn't have to be bad to be interesting to fans.

What do you want them to write about?
As others have noted on here, there is plenty to write about. It's called news, which can change from moment to moment. This is usually gathered together by interviews, quotes, and substantiation from others involved in the story. The need to know is high among football fans. Perhaps, even the who, what, where, when, and why are included. This is called journalism.

Now, others on here are also alumni of Syracuse University and value our degrees. Some are even graduates of the esteemed Newhouse School Of Communications. I am not a Newhouse graduate, but I value my advanced degree and the reputation of the school I attended. Most of the people who write, or in some capacity, work for the Post-Standard. I know Mink is one.

I do not know if you attended Syracuse University, but I strongly suspect that you may have attended LeMoyne College, also a fine Educational Institution. I have many friends that are alumni. But I feel that sub-standard reporting indirectly reflects negatively on SU, not to mention our collective need to know what's up.

Since they have done a profile on every kid already I wonder what story comes out on wed/thurs which used to be the big day to talk about recruits.

As others have noted on here, there is plenty to write about. It's called news, which can change from moment to moment. This is usually gathered together by interviews, quotes, and substantiation from others involved in the story. The need to know is high among football fans. Perhaps, even the who, what, where, when, and why are included. This is called journalism.

Now, others on here are also alumni of Syracuse University and value our degrees. Some are even graduates of the esteemed Newhouse School Of Communications. I am not a Newhouse graduate, but I value my advanced degree and the reputation of the school I attended. Most of the people who write, or in some capacity, work for the Post-Standard. I know Mink is one.

I do not know if you attended Syracuse University, but I strongly suspect that you may have attended LeMoyne College, also a fine Educational Institution. I have many friends that are alumni. But I feel that sub-standard reporting indirectly reflects negatively on SU, not to mention our collective need to know what's up.

Well I am an alum., fourth generation and I find no problem in the amount of recruiting/football news the PS reporters have been providing. If you want more may I suggest you subscribe to a paid recruiting site whose main purpose is to provide recruiting news.

Pretty weak sauce to attack the PS reporters on this.

I'll take Lemoyne's explanation of what is news over some of you amateur journalism experts who quite frankly embarrass yourselves with your comments.

With the possible exception of tracking down IM - seems reasonable - you are asking for PR pablum.

And while you may not be able to see this, you are a small band of nutjobs - and I mean that affectionately - who are in no way reflective of the larger fanbase or syracuse.com readers.

Besides, as others have noted, Bailey & Mink have crushed it on recruiting coverage. Much more so than some of the more-loved journos from the past who had little interest in recruiting news.

The number of readers who would be interested in that sort of PR piece could probably fit in Dino's office.

... and not one word from the crack sports writing team of the Sub-Standard.
It wasn't a "big recruiting weekend". If you go read the scout wrap up of the weekend there's nothing at all in there.

It wasn't a "big recruiting weekend". If you go read the scout wrap up of the weekend there's nothing at all in there.

Isn't it their job to find something interesting? I'm all for it not being a recap of the weekend. But I'd be shocked if their wasn't an angle worth our attention. Maybe the budget wasn't there. I don't know. I do know they were all out on a "best of central NY bar tour" via twitter.

Isn't it their job to find something interesting? I'm all for it not being a recap of the weekend. But I'd be shocked if their wasn't an angle worth our attention. Maybe the budget wasn't there. I don't know. I do know they were all out on a "best of central NY bar tour" via twitter.
But people complain when they write negative articles that are "interesting". We had 6 official visits this weekend. All by currently committed prospects. All who are signing with the Orange on signing day.

I just wrapped up the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom