THE BIGGEST HOSING IN THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL | Syracusefan.com

THE BIGGEST HOSING IN THE HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL

Cuse_NYC

Starter
Referees should be investigated. Down to blowing the whistle with .8 to go to try and get the UNC cover. 3 of Jesse’s fouls were BS. MOUNIR PUSHED IN THE BACK BY BACOT IN THE ft to win. And obviously the flagrant. JB has to sound off. Inexcusable. 24 ft to 3… The boys played too hard for this outcome. Pathetic

I didn’t like the flagrant call (it was an offensive foul though), but this was not a hose job. Syracuse shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. Girard saving the ball under his own basket was the worst. They have no one to blame but themselves.

I didn’t like the flagrant call (it was an offensive foul though), but this was not a hose job. Syracuse shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. Girard saving the ball under his own basket was the worst. They have no one to blame but themselves.

This.

Really stoopid stuff...

They kids played hard tho.

All u can ask.

Did you not see Bacot shove Hima in the back? Go watch it back. And when you outrebound a team, the ft’s should not be 24-3. Period.

I posted this in the Post-game thoughts thread but I'll post it here too.

OK ref breakdown to end the game in a tight game..

- Mintz fouled on his made jumper with 6:16 left. No call for the And 1.

- Mintz steals and drives for an And 1 with 5:22 left only to be called for an absolutely ridiculous charge

- UNC down by 2 with 21.4 seconds left gets fouled. Makes the first FT then misses the second.. on the rebound Bacot stiff-arms Hima near the face (I've rewinded several times and yes it was a very nice stiff-arm) and isn't called for a foul. Result a loose ball which JGlll tries to save and it goes to UNC for a bucket to take a 1 point lead.

- After another charge and flagrant is called on Mintz with 10 seconds left. UNC makes 1 to go up by 2. On the ensuing inbound Caleb Love completely shoves Mintz and of course no call yet again and instead they call the foul on Mintz which seals it.

Free throws end up 23 to 3 in UNC's favor (and they were the road team even).

If you want to say UNC earned more free throws fine. But when you're the road team and you shoot that many more free throws than the other team and then you get 4 absolutely shady calls like that your way down the stretch then these refs should be absolutely fired. Period. This conference is a joke.

Last edited:

- Mintz steals and drives for an And 1 with 5:22 left only to be called for an absolutely ridiculous charge

- UNC down by 2 with 21.4 seconds left gets fouled. Makes the first FT then misses the second.. on the rebound Bacot stiff-arms Hima in the face (I've rewinded several times and yes it was a very nice stiff-arm) and isn't called for a foul. Result a loose ball which JGlll tries to save and it goes to UNC for a bucket to take a 1 point lead.

- After another charge and flagrant is called on Mintz with 10 seconds left. UNC makes 1 to go up by 2. On the ensuing inbound Caleb Love completely shoves Mintz and of course no call yet again and instead they call the foul on Mintz which seals it.

If you want to say UNC earned more free throws fine. But when you're the road team and you shoot that many more free throws than the other team and then you get 4 absolutely shady calls like that you're way down the stretch then these refs should be absolutely fired. Period. This conference is a joke.
Ayers is a jack @ss

SU is a team that drives to the basket as much as UNC. All things fair, it’s not remotely possible that there should be such a huge FT disparity. I’m legitimately pissed.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but we're carpetbaggers in the acc... That means bad calls on your home court vs. tobacco road blue blood teams when the game is on the line... And when u pepper in stupid end of game play from our own team... Guaranteed loss.

This league is a POS for teams like us.

This is nothing new. I despise this league.

- UNC down by 2 with 21.4 seconds left gets fouled. Makes the first FT then misses the second.. on the rebound Bacot stiff-arms Hima near the face (I've rewinded several times and yes it was a very nice stiff-arm) and isn't called for a foul. Result a loose ball which JGlll tries to save and it goes to UNC for a bucket to take a 1 point lead.

If you want to say UNC earned more free throws fine. But when you're the road team and you shoot that many more free throws than the other team and then you get 4 absolutely shady calls like that you're way down the stretch then these refs should be absolutely fired. Period. This conference is a joke.
Even Maliq mauled all over the arms on the late tip in

This is nothing new. I despise this league.
I've hated the move to the ACC ever since it happened.
I've hated UNC and Duke for longer and more than any team in the Big East, even Georgetown (but maybe not UConn).
The fact that we can't seem to get a fair shake from the officials in both basketball and football makes it even more frustrating.

I found this last week while looking for another article about officiating bias. About football but still relevant I think:

"As with the game-level effects, the ACC shows more evidence of bias in its team-level effects than the other
conferences. The ACC results demonstrate bias by penalizing teams with high football prestige less than their low prestige counterparts – a curious finding given the bias against the stronger football programs of the day. One explanation for this would be ACC officials protecting traditionally strong football programs while penalizing the more recently successful more. Supporting this notion, there is evidence of ACC officiating favoritism towards teams that have been in the league longest (founded in 1953) and more frequently flagging teams that are newer to the conference: Georgia Tech (1978), Florida State (1991), University of Miami (2004), Virginia Tech (2004), and Boston College (2005). Current ACC members Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Louisville were all added after the sample period ended in 2012."

Source: https://www.researchgate.net/public...nt and oversight of college football referees.

The fouls in this game were 17-11. In the 1/8/83 game at North Carolina they were 34-13.

The free throws in this game were 3-23. In the 2/8/86 game vs. Notre Dame they were 11-49. In the 3/16/86 loss to Navy in the NCAAs they were 21-54.

As long as the defenders feet are moving you’d think people around here believe that I could throw punches at the defender with my free hand to get to the hoop and it’s ok.
He didn't have position. That's what a block is. You don't like it, then rewrite the rules. That's the second one they missed and in a game like last night's, it proved crucial. A three point play off of the first missed call swings the game in one that was that tight until the final "charge".

He didn't have position? How? He was in legal guarding position in front of Mintz and moving backwards into an area he has just as much of a right to as Mintz. The rule says, the defender is not permitted to move into the path of the player once he has started his upward motion. That didn't come close to happening.

He didn't have position. That's what a block is. You don't like it, then rewrite the rules. That's the second one they missed and in a game like last night's, it proved crucial. A three point play off of the first missed call swings the game in one that was that tight until the final "charge".
What do you mean, he didn’t have position? He was in legal guarding position. The defender does not have to be set in a single position for there to be a charge.

He didn't have position? How? He was in legal guarding position in front of Mintz and moving backwards into an area he has just as much of a right to as Mintz. The rule says, the defender is not permitted to move into the path of the player once he has started his upward motion. That didn't come close to happening.
He was backpedaling the entire time. That's not defensive position. That's why the college rule is messed up because it simply leaves it in the hands of the referee which is why we're having this conversation today.

rarely do I use the refs cost us the game excuse. BUT
The 2 calls against Mintz were Blue blood garbage.
The first charging call @ the 4-5 minute mark the UNC player was not "set".
The second call he WAS set and and the play deserved a charging call.
BUT NOT A FLAGRANT.
The officials determined the outcome of the game in UNC's favor.

Lol the BE officiating was a master class compared to this crap.

Cahill, Higgins, and Papparo were consistently terrible, but they were equal-opportunity bottle-jobbers, screwing teams randomly with bad calls a lot.

I wouldn't call their ineptness or often seemingly purposeful bad calls to inject themselves into the game outcomes a "league bias" by any stretch, altho they all seemed to enjoy twisting the screws on JB in particular. They were just really poor officials from a professional standpoint.

That's not the case in the ACC... there is definitely an officiating bias.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom