The Boeheim brothers...back when | Syracusefan.com

The Boeheim brothers...back when

cto

Administrator
Watching Jimmy and Buddy during the game last night reminded me of my favorite Boeheim brothers story. And I'm not telling it out of school because Buddy alluded to it in one of Mike Waters' interviews with them this summer.

In early 2009, Jim and Juli were raising three young kids (10-year-old Jimmy and nine-year old twins Buddy and Jamie) who were normal, active, rambunctious kids of that age. At some point in February, Juli told them whoever was the best-behaved kid for the next week would go to the Big East tournament with mom and dad while the other two would stay home with a babysitter. Buddy won the "best kid" contest (as it became known) and traveled with his parents and the team to NYC.

Following the six-overtime win over UConn, the team bus arrived back at the hotel at about 2:30 a.m. No one had eaten since 5 p.m. (prior to leaving for MSG before the double-header), and everyone was starving. A bunch of players started walking down Lexington Avenue to find food, and Buddy joined them. So here was this little blond nine-year-old with a group of very tall (mostly African American) college students setting out in search of food in Manhattan at 2:30 a.m. I asked Juli whether she was worried about Buddy (who knew nothing about NYC) walking the streets of Manhattan at that hour. She said absolutely not because he loved the players, and the players loved him and they would take care of him.

Meanwhile, Jim, Juli, Barbara Boeheim and I started walking south on the other side of Lexington Avenue, also looking for food, when we found an open Deli and ordered sandwiches. A large group of guys also entered the Deli, recognized Jim, and came over to congratulate him on "a great game." We were shocked to notice they were all wearing UConn jackets and sweats.

Anyhow, back to Buddy. He had a delightful time wandering the city with his "friends" ... and many stories about his five days in NYC to share with his brother Jimmy ... who had stayed home and watched the games on tv.

Last edited:
Thanks for the story, CTO. I have always had questions about this though and I’m sure you probably know the answer: I heard some version of this where a player was talking about finding a McDonalds or something at 3am and I just couldn’t believe that the players would just be turned loose in NYC at 2am to fend for themselves to find food. I guess I always imagined they had prepared meals or at least catered meals fit for high level athletes when at road venues or tournaments and that is to say nothing of the adage that nothing good happens at 2am! Maybe the late hour ruined whatever food plan was in place? But still it seems like it would be a team staff task to go find food and bring it back to the hotel rather than release the players out into the NYC night like that, especially given that they had a nationally televised game tipping off in less than 18 hours!

Sorry for that being long but I’ve always wondered about it. Is that normal? Was coach worried his players would wind up in their own version of “The Hangover?”

As an aside, I know a guy who was a scholarship player for a mountain west team who played at MSG once. He almost didn’t make it to the game because he somehow wound up in a back alley attempting to buy a fake ID from an undercover cop hours before tipoff!!

Thanks for the story, CTO. I have always had questions about this though and I’m sure you probably know the answer: I heard some version of this where a player was talking about finding a McDonalds or something at 3am and I just couldn’t believe that the players would just be turned loose in NYC at 2am to fend for themselves to find food. I guess I always imagined they had prepared meals or at least catered meals fit for high level athletes when at road venues or tournaments and that is to say nothing of the adage that nothing good happens at 2am! Maybe the late hour ruined whatever food plan was in place? But still it seems like it would be a team staff task to go find food and bring it back to the hotel rather than release the players out into the NYC night like that, especially given that they had a nationally televised game tipping off in less than 18 hours!

Sorry for that being long but I’ve always wondered about it. Is that normal? Was coach worried his players would wind up in their own version of “The Hangover?”

As an aside, I know a guy who was a scholarship player for a mountain west team who played at MSG once. He almost didn’t make it to the game because he somehow wound up in a back alley attempting to buy a fake ID from an undercover cop hours before tipoff!!
Most of the interviews I have watched/heard with former players indicate that one of the things JB is known for is treating the players like adults and professionals. I suspect there are less curfews for Syracuse players than on other teams.

As an aside, I know a guy who was a scholarship player for a mountain west team who played at MSG once. He almost didn’t make it to the game because he somehow wound up in a back alley attempting to buy a fake ID from an undercover cop hours before tipoff!! of the time, the post-game meal is at the team hotel (if they are returning to the hotel) or on the team plane if they are flying back to Syracuse post-game. On this particular night, they were ekpecting to eat at the team hotel (Eastside Marriott), but the kitchen was shut down by the time they got back there (2:30 a.m.). I should have explained that in my post above. That was actually a humorous part of the story ... when the team discovered there was no food at the hotel.

Most of the time, the post-game meal is at the team hotel ... or on the team plane if they are immediately returning to Syracuse post-game. However, the kitchen and all dining facilities were shut down by the time we got back to the Eastside Marriott that night. Hence the "foraging" for food. In my experience with team road trips, this was the only time I saw this happen. Post-game (and pre-game) meals are an intrinsic part of the team's travel schedule.

Last edited:
Watching Jimmy and Buddy during the game last night reminded me of my favorite Boeheim brothers story. And I'm not telling it out of school because Buddy alluded to it in one of Mike Waters' interviews with them this summer.

In early 2009, Jim and Juli were raising three young kids (10-year-old Jimmy and nine-year old twins Buddy and Jamie) who were normal, active, rambunctious kids of that age. At some point in February, Juli told them whoever was the best-behaved kid for the next week would go to the Big East tournament while the other two would stay home with a babysitter. Buddy won the "best kid" contest (as it became known) and traveled with his parents and the team to NYC.

Following the six-overtime win over UConn, the team bus arrived back at the hotel at about 2:30 a.m. No one had eaten since 5 p.m. (prior to leaving for MSG before the double-header), and everyone was starving. A bunch of players started walking down Lexington Avenue to find food, and Buddy joined them. So here was this little blond nine-year-old with a group of very tall (mostly African American) college students setting out in search of food in Manhattan at 2:30 a.m. I asked Juli whether she was worried about Buddy (who knew nothing about NYC) walking the streets of Manhattan at that hour. She said absolutely not because he loved the players, and the players loved him and they would take care of him.

Meanwhile, Jim, Juli, Barbara Boeheim and I started walking south on the other side of Lexington Avenue, also looking for food, when we found an open Deli and ordered sandwiches. A large group of guys also entered the Deli, recognized Jim, and came over to congratulate him on "a great game." We were shocked to notice they were all wearing UConn jackets and sweats.

Anyhow, back to Buddy. He had a delightful time wandering the city with his "friends" ... and many stories about his five days in NYC to share with his brother Jimmy ... who had stayed home and watched the games on tv.
LOL oh man poor lil Jimmy. I feel so bad for him.

"Juli: alright guys, the results of the best kid contest are in. Buddy completed 100% of his chores this week. Jimmy, it appears that you didn't make your bed on Tuesday, so we have you at 95%. Therefore you will not be joining us behind the bench at the greatest college basketball game of all-time. See you in 4 days."

LOL oh man poor lil Jimmy. I feel so bad for him.

"Juli: alright guys, the results of the best kid contest are in. Buddy completed 100% of his chores this week. Jimmy, it appears that you didn't make your bed on Tuesday, so we have you at 95%. Therefore you will not be joining us behind the bench at the greatest college basketball game of all-time. See you in 4 days."
I know, right. If she’d only known what a magical week it would be, she would have brought all of them. She probably just assumed they’d lose in the first or second round, though the GMac run had only been 3 years before.

The kids have gotten to see some great games over the years. Whenever Ive watched that Virginia Elite Eight victory from 2016, I love seeing all the Boeheim kids and Hop’s son Griff jumping for joy in the stands in Chicago.

“Mom? Dad? Buzz? Uncle Frank? Where is everybody?”

F2064E06-AA7B-43E0-B70E-50C50C435695.jpeg

Really surprises me that the someone on the Cuse support team wouldn’t anticipate and know that people were gonna need to eat late and didn’t make any arrangements. Hotel probably could have assisted.

Really surprises me that the someone on the Cuse support team wouldn’t anticipate and know that people were gonna need to eat late and didn’t make any arrangements. Hotel probably could have assisted.
A game that should have ended at 11 pm, ended at 1:30 am. That’s not something one anticipates. Plus, I suspect the hotel workers just went home at some point.

Most of the time, the post-game meal is at the team hotel ... or on the team plane if they are immediately returning to Syracuse post-game. However, the kitchen and all dining facilities were shut down by the time we got back to the Eastside Marriott that night. Hence the "foraging" for food. In my experience with team road trips, this was the only time I saw this happen. Post-game (and pre-game) meals are an intrinsic part of the team's travel schedule.

Thanks for the insight that’s more what I figured. In this instance it makes sense that the unexpected late hour played into it. I would have figured they’d dispatch a team manager or two to go get a bunch of food and bring it back.

Was Jim concerned that night about what shenanigans could happen with his players out there so late?

In early 2009, Jim and Juli were raising three young kids (10-year-old Jimmy and nine-year old twins Buddy and Jamie) who were normal, active, rambunctious kids of that age. At some point in February, Juli told them whoever was the best-behaved kid for the next week would go to the Big East tournament while the other two would stay home with a babysitter. Buddy won the "best kid" contest (as it became known) and traveled with his parents and the team to NYC.

"Growing Up Boeheim". The reality TV show that never aired.

Thanks for the insight that’s more what I figured. In this instance it makes sense that the unexpected late hour played into it. I would have figured they’d dispatch a team manager or two to go get a bunch of food and bring it back.

Was Jim concerned that night about what shenanigans could happen with his players out there so late?
They had just won a hard-fought 70-minute basketball game. They were both exhausted and euphorically happy ... and very hungry...when they got off the bus and learned there was no food at the hotel, meaning there was no place for a team meal. Jim knew the players well by that point (it was March), and it just seemed the natural thing to do... i.e., when you're hungry, you find food. He did not seem to be concerned about whatever you mean by potential "shenanigans."

Last edited:
They had just won a 70-minute basketball game. They were both exhausted and euphorically happy ... and very hungry...when they got off the bus and learned there was no food at the hotel, meaning there was no place for a team meal. Jim knew the players well by that point (it was March), and it just seemed the natural thing to do... i.e., when you're hungry, you find food. He did not seem to be concerned about whatever you mean by potential "shenanigans."
Having Buddy with them might have been a great deterrent.

LOL, Bill Raftery said the next night that when he got back to the hotel after the game and told his wife the game went to 1am, she said "yeah, right!"

Everyone on the "Cuse support team" was at the game doing their job... e.g. director of basketball operations, graduate assistant, trainer, equipment manager, strength and fitness manager, videographer, security guy, student managers, etc. No one was back at the hotel worrying about food if the game went six overtimes.

Last edited:
Everyone on the "Cuse support team" was at the game doing their job... e.g. director of basketball operations, graduate assistant, trainer, equipment manager, strength and fitness manager, videographer, security guy, student managers, etc. No one was back at the hotel worrying about food if the game went six overtimes.
They couldn't have foreseen a six overtime game?

Last edited by a moderator:
They had just won a hard-fought 70-minute basketball game. They were both exhausted and euphorically happy ... and very hungry...when they got off the bus and learned there was no food at the hotel, meaning there was no place for a team meal. Jim knew the players well by that point (it was March), and it just seemed the natural thing to do... i.e., when you're hungry, you find food. He did not seem to be concerned about whatever you mean by potential "shenanigans."
Keeping in mind that it’s still Manhattan, but it was likely that area was still teeming with activity even at that late hour. There were certainly no tumbleweeds blowing down the street, or dark alleys to avoid.
BET crowds tended to keep very late hours, and it was probably business as usual for the delis and bodegas catering to the fans wandering around the city.

let's be honest. if coach K had 2 kids playing major minutes we would be tearing him apart.
Why? Like Fran McCaffrey who has had 3 sons play? Like Greg McDermott? Jim Larranaga? Ray Meyer? Bob Knight? Press Maravich? Al McGuire?

Let’s be honest, we haven’t needed Coach K to have sons who play for him, to tear him apart.

Another hijacked thread. You guys could hijack a thread about cheesecake and turn it into a thread about porcupines. For the record, Coach K has three delightful daughters... none of whom ... to my knowledge... played college basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom