The book club.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by 4evaOrange, Oct 10, 2016.

1. 4evaOrange

4evaOrange Anna Kendricks boyfriend.

So we'll use this thread to discuss books. And books that someone may want to take up.

Currently I'm reading World War Z, which is nothing like the movie at all.

I've read Under the Dome, Salems Lot, the tommyknockers, of Stephen King, and I have black space to read next.
    Of course I've read all the Harry Potter books.
    Maze runner books.
    Meet me in Atlantis by Mark Adams.
    Destination Truth by josh gates.
    Jurassic Park and Lost world, both 100x better than the movies.

What books are you reading and have read?

Guy Fawkes and cuseattle like this.
  2. OttoinGrotto

OttoinGrotto 2016 Iggy Winner

I feel like you would enjoy The Last Policeman trilogy by Ben Winters, based on what you listed in your post.

3. 4evaOrange

Crime mystery horror?

Give me short premise of first book. Please.

4. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

If you like Stephen King, do not miss The Stand - my favorite SK book. "It" is very creepy and good. The Shining is great.

Most Michael Crichton books will hold your attention also. Timeline, Congo, and The Terminal Man are good, too.

cuseattle likes this.
  5. Briancuse

Briancuse Living Legend

A couple of under the radar Writers I would really suggest are Brad Thor and Andrew Britton. Kind of in the Tom Clancy mold, they write a lot of books about government conspiracies, cia stuff, terrorists.

cuseattle likes this.
  6. OttoinGrotto

An earnest detective investigates murders while a comet is on course to end the world and society is rapidly decaying around him. Intrigue ensues.

cuseattle likes this.
  7. OttoinGrotto

I read The Stand right when the big swine flu thing hit a few years ago. HORRIBLE timing on my part.

CuseFaninVT, cuseattle and orange79 like this.
  8. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

I would put Thor and Britton along side Andrew Peterson, Berry Eisler in that Genre

I would David Baldacci and Vince Flynn books A cut above those. Really waiting for the flynn books movies to be made.

I do like what Greaney has done to continue the Clancy books , he has brought back some of the old luster of that series.

I think Lee Child and Michael Connelly, John Sandford are writing some really good cop/mystery type stuff and Connelly's Bosch series on Amazon has done a good job of hitting that chars vibe from the books.

A bit more lighthearted series of books is what Clive Cussler has done with about 4-5 series going now, kind of like James patterson does with other authors under his brand.

A really good mystery Author was Dick Francis who died in the last few years and his son has continued the stories with 4-5 more books. It revolves around horse racing chars in England and goes back about 40 years worth of books around 30 in the series. Interesting to see the stories change as the technology has over the years.. Several movies from that series

Much like the Allistair MacClean books that became some of the big hollywood movies like Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare and of course Ice Station zebra with the GOAT Jim Brown.. his books were really good but a bit dated being 60-70s written.

9. cuseattle

cuseattle All American

This topic reminds me how much time Netflix has taken away from my leisure reading. There is always time for a little Stephen King, though. I highly recommend Dr. Sleep for anyone who enjoyed The Shining.

orange79 likes this.
  10. 4evaOrange

I'm really excited to start reading black space but i need to finish WWZ

cuseattle likes this.
  11. Cheriehoop

Cheriehoop Moderator Staff Member

Great book - The Heart of Hell by Pulitzer Prize winner Mitch Weiss. It's about the LST 449 (Tank Landing Ship) and the battles this small ship and others in their flotilla went through in the South Pacific ending with Iwo Jima. It's an exciting, moving, sad book detailing the battles, the lives and deaths of the crew. Highly recommend it.

12. Capt. Tuttle

Capt. Tuttle Living Legend

Michael Connelly, David Baldacci and Harlen Coben are all favorites.

If you want to laugh and get a sense of the Irish people, "A Course called Ireland" is fantastic. It is laugh out loud funny

The Potter series is an all time favorite for me, as is "The World According to Garp."

"Pillars of the Earth" was really, really good.

I enjoyed David Morrell, especially his historical fiction books. "The Covenant of the Flame" is one

Dan Brown is good, but the plots get a bit repetitive, IMO

Simon Beckett has some good forensic fiction books.

Guy Fawkes and cuseattle like this.
  13. HoustonCuse

HoustonCuse Hall of Fame

I read exclusively non-fiction - I thought I was the only one until seeing this. I'll have to check it out.

Most recent:
    Command and Control by Eric Schlosser
    Was ok, not great, but the stories will terrify you.
    I also came away with an unexpected perspective on how terrifying we must have been to the Soviets throughout the Cold War.

My 5 star, lock of the week, recommendations:
    Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors and Neptune's Inferno both by James Hornfischer
    Both are outstanding in every way. If somebody would make a serious movie out of either of these it would be beyond amazing.

Blind Man's Bluff by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew

Also excellent:
    Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan
    The Making of the Atomic Bomb and Dark Sun by Richard Rhodes

JAXCUSE, Guy Fawkes and Cheriehoop like this.
  14. lummgr

lummgr Starter

Playboy, April 1987. Great read.

Mr Peabody likes this.
  15. Cheriehoop

Cheriehoop Moderator Staff Member

I like non fiction more also, including medically themed books like those by Atal Gawande but also scientific based thrillers.

The Heart of Hell is particularly close to my heart since my father was on LST 469 in all the same battles. They were the backup for LST 449 and replaced them during Iwo. Dennis Blocker, whose grandfather was on LST 449 was the force that spurred the book. My father's name is included in the book and he was hospitalized after Iwo Jima in San Diego military hospital for a year as an 18 -19 year old after his ship was severely hit there. He only spoke about his service time at all while in a VA hospital right before he passed away in 2008. My father only said that the media never talked about Navy underwater demolition , LST forces etc who were there before each battle to clear the way for the Marines to even land. My mother always wanted to visit Hawaii however my father would get upset repeating how much he hated it there but would have liked to visit Guam again. He would never say why he hated Hawaii since he wasn't there for Pearl Harbor but this book answered many unanswered questions. I now better understand why he had those moods, reactions and sudden outbursts etc and why this strong, hard-working, stubborn, courageous man cried (never saw him cry before) during his final VA hospital stay over his heart breaking regret that he refused to ever take my mother to Hawaii and her reticence to ever bring it up again because of his anger whenever Hawaii was even mentioned as an exotic beautiful wonderland on tv, in newspapers etc(She had passed in 2003).

It's an excellent book, highly rated.

16. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

If you're interested in history, McCullough's biography of John Adams is fabulous. His book 1776 is very good also.

17. Capt. Tuttle

Capt. Tuttle Living Legend

Have them on CD for car travel. Fantastic.

orange79 likes this.
  18. Symphony Steve

Symphony Steve Starter

Two books I've read recently that I highly recommend:

"The Whites" by Richard Price, writing as Harry Brandt. Nobody transcends the crime genre better than Price. He creates complete characters and writes knowledgeably about law enforcement and the people on both sides of the law. Who are sometimes the same people. Oh, and his plots are ingenious. If you like this book, also check out 'Clockers' and 'Lush Life'.

If you want to understand how heroin came to destroy so many small towns, you must read 'Dreamland: The True Story of America's Opiate Epidemic' by Sam Quinones. Investigative reporting at its best. I've been begging people to read this National Book Award winner. Here's just one review to whet your appetite (for the book, not black tar heroin):

'Dreamland' is the must-read book about America's heroin crisis

Quinones is not just a great reporter, but a wonderful storyteller. The seemingly-disparate strands that start the book come together as a distinct tapestry by the book's conclusion. BTW, the book is not a political polemic, and you will understand in detail one of the greatest problems currently confronting us. You. Will. Thank. Me.

Guy Fawkes and LoudHouse44 like this.
  19. HoustonCuse

HoustonCuse Hall of Fame

Great stories. Thanks for sharing that.

Cheriehoop likes this.
  20. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes 2016 Iggy Winner

Favorite Books of All Time
    - Dorian Gray
    - The Importance of Being Earnest
    - Fear and Loathing
    - Lord of the Flies
    - Absolutely American

Books read in last 12 months
    - Watchmen - My first graphic novel and I really enjoyed it.
    - Vince Flynn - Mitch Rapp (all) - Highly recommend but I am dork for those books
    - I am Pilgrim - Hayes - I prefer Mitch Rapp and the ridiculousness but it was a fun read
    - Jo Nesbo - Harry Hole (all) - Some are better than others but it's a Norwegian Sherlock Holmes theme
    - For the the Bells Tolls - Hemingway - ehhh up and down, I wouldn't recommend
    - The Bad Guys Won - Pearlman - great baseball book
    - The Heart of Hell - Weiss - as Cheriehook said it's a great book
    - An Officer and a Spy - Harris - didn't enjoy it but it was historical so I forced myself to read the entire book about the Dreyfus affair
    - Mob Rules - Ferrante - interesting comparison between business and the mob
    - The Only Rule is It Has to Work - Lindbergh - I loved this book but I am a baseball dork.
    - Best Team Money Can Buy - A few unbelievable chapters but otherwise a decent baseball book
    - The Arm - Passan - see above. I am a baseball nerd and am into stats and healthcare so this piqued my interest

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    OttoMets, cuseattle, orange79 and 2 others like this.
  21. rocklloyd

rocklloyd All Conference

as noted above, vince flynn (RIP). his ghost writer, Kyle Mills. All of Brad Thor's books (scot Horvath). Nelson Demille (I love John Corey and John Sutter), WEB Griffin. These 4 authors should keep you busy for a long time.

Anything about Navy SEALS.

Mr Peabody, Guy Fawkes and orange79 like this.
  22. SkanSU

SkanSU Starter

Actually I have read all of the DeMille books and must say that I have enjoyed them...until the last 2 John Corey books. Very upsetting without Kate. Truly would give the last 2 only 3 stars

23. SkanSU

SkanSU Starter

Based on what you read I have just completed A.G. Riddle's Atlantis Trilogy (The Atlantis Gene, The Atlantis Plague, The Atlantis World) Pretty good light reading

4evaOrange likes this.
  24. Trueblue25

Trueblue25 Living Legend

Reading "Generation Kill" by Evan Wright.

Got a book on Counterinsurgency by David Kilcullen on deck.

25. 4evaOrange

What is the series about ?