The brag about my kid’s athletic performance thread. | Syracusefan.com

The brag about my kid’s athletic performance thread.

DoubleDee

All American
Every once in a while someone takes the opportunity to make a post regarding a great performance in a game, or update everyone on what their kids are doing sports wise. I thought it made sense to have a spot where we could just get on and brag.
I currently have a ten year old on the 5-6 grade travel lacrosse team for Baldwinsville, and my daughter just started volleyball for Baldwinsville at the Modified level, and is on their 13U club team.
My neice also plays varsity volleyball for CNS, and was just named an All CNY player by the Post-Standard. So I will be sure to come here to brag when appropriate!

In my 6th grader’s last two games (28 minutes long) he’s had 18 and 19 rebounds. Unfortunately with my genes he won’t be the tallest kid on the floor for too many more years.
Every kid who tells me that they play basketball as one of their sports; I tell them that getting rebounds is a part of the game that doesn’t take any discernible skill, it’s all focus and effort. Just gotta want that ball!

If you can get rebounds, your coach will keep you on the court.

My daughter’s 3rd grade team finally won their first game in three seasons. The game was tied heading into the fourth quarter and my daughter was assigned to cover the other team’s best player. She shut her down and they won by 2.

My daughter’s 3rd grade team finally won their first game in three seasons.
If I'm doing the math on this correctly, your daughter has been playing organized basketball since 1st grade. This doesn't pass the smell test.

My daughter is in 2nd grade and the "camp" that she participates in is a hot mess. Nobody knows what they're doing out there.

If I'm doing the math on this correctly, your daughter has been playing organized basketball since 1st grade. This doesn't pass the smell test.

My daughter is in 2nd grade and the "camp" that she participates in is a hot mess. Nobody knows what they're doing out there.

Sure it does. Ever try coaching kindergarten hoops?

thats just a clinic for us.

we start game Rec hoop in the 3rd grade for boys & girls.

id brag about my oldest boy, but we would have to create a whole board...and not just a thread.

Every kid who tells me that they play basketball as one of their sports; I tell them that getting rebounds is a part of the game that doesn’t take any discernible skill, it’s all focus and effort. Just gotta want that ball!

If you can get rebounds, your coach will keep you on the court.

highlight of my JV career was a 20 rebound game

I’ll be jumping on this one all year. What a great idea.

Very proud dad of a 16 year hs junior. He’s playing varsity hoops this year and his team is ranked fifth in the state. But we expect to challenge for the title as we have one of the best players/shooter in the state. My kid is a tenacious defender who can hit threes and drive, but really likes setting up teammates for easy buckets.

His team has already beaten the top squad in the state, handing them their first loss. Next up is the second rated team who has the best player in the state that doesn’t play at VT Academy.

oh, and he just started playing volleyball this year and I expect he’ll have a great senior year.

In my 6th grader’s last two games (28 minutes long) he’s had 18 and 19 rebounds. Unfortunately with my genes he won’t be the tallest kid on the floor for too many more years.
Whatever you do, make sure he works on his handle. I never allowed my kid to just be a center/forward even when he was one the tallest guys. He’s now a combo guard at 6’.

My teams were running the Huggy Bear zone trap/ pressing full court at that age. Well oiled machine.

My daughters quit hoops and swim and play golf thank god. But my daughter has a friend that has been playing hoops at the school from 7th grade through her junior year now and has never won a single basketball game when playing for the school. That is rare air and I am not kidding. I think the team is 0-78 or something like that. They have been close a few times with a couple OT games but never won. Where is Johnny Flynn and the dynasty sign when you need it?

My teams were running the Huggy Bear zone trap/ pressing full court at that age. Well oiled machine.

My daughters quit hoops and swim and play golf thank god. But my daughter has a friend that has been playing hoops at the school from 7th grade through her junior year now and has never won a single basketball game when playing for the school. That is rare air and I am not kidding. I think the team is 0-78 or something like that. They have been close a few times with a couple OT games but never won. Where is Johnny Flynn and the dynasty sign when you need it?
my third grade son is committing 4 flagrant fouls a game. all his teammates do is turn it over and he's the only one that hustles back. they don't foul anyone out and he assumes they'll never make a free throw so he just turns into the waterboy's mom annihilating kids. i think he's getting the football out of his system that we don't let him play. every other parents goes "oooooo" like something horrible just happened and then I have to sheepishly applaud his hustle because I don't want him to lose that. total shartshow.

My daughter’s in kindergarten and has been playing organized since last year... (I fudged her grade last year to get her in as it’s a different district we drive to). Only because she was ready.

The games are painful to watch for the reason you pointed out, but the skills and drills portions of the practices are very well run and organized.

Rough go last night for my boy and his team. Got beat by 10, and my son's only appearance in the record is for a turnover which ended his playing time. As a junior, my son is on the one screw up per game plan. Some of the other boys seem to have different plans...

Oh yeah, and I hate HS referees. This was called a foul. The kid in blue is on my son's team.

block.jpg

curious if every other parent gets fired up on game day like I do. I’m ready to go right now. I woke up thinking about my kids game tonight.

Lets go Wolves!

curious if every other parent gets fired up on game day like I do. I’m ready to go right now. I woke up thinking about my kids game tonight.

Lets go Wolves!
I'm the dad that does a little hollering on the sideline. Just good stuff, nothing maniacal. Other parents just stand around. I'm the one telling their kid good job, lets get fired up, etc.
My wife thinks im nuts. Whatever.

I have no kids, so I will reflect back to some of my exploits. I twice scored 5 goals in a hockey game. In my 11 year old year, I led the team in scoring, and for some reason never returned the trophy. I looked at it some years later, and a few years before me the leading scorer that had won the trophy played in the NCAA and a handful of games in the NHL. I went ...nowhere.

As a pticher, I also hit 5 or 6 batters in a game when I was 11 or 12. Lost count. I don't know why coaches kept pitching me.

Day two of the Ireva Icicle Challenge at the Oncenter today. Twelve courts = twelve whistles = category twelve headache!
My daughter did very well as her team continued to grow. They are 13u and as there was not a 13u category, our 13u and 14u teams played 14u competition. Baldwinsville’s philosophy is to to prep the girls for varsity, not to win at this level. It obviously works.
My niece continued to dominate (in my opinion, biased as it may be) with the Cicero stars (basically her cns varsity team). Her and her mother were approached by four different college coaches today. I guess that’s a good day.

I'm the dad that does a little hollering on the sideline. Just good stuff, nothing maniacal. Other parents just stand around. I'm the one telling their kid good job, lets get fired up, etc.
My wife thinks im nuts. Whatever.
at my son's games, i cheer for both teams and a couple of the other dads look at me funny. last game, i shouted out a warning to our opponents that the clock was running down - "7 seconds! move the ball! shoot!" i got dirty looks from our side. come on - it's 4th grade! the stakes are low, and i like to see kids do well.

at my son's games, i cheer for both teams and a couple of the other dads look at me funny. last game, i shouted out a warning to our opponents that the clock was running down - "7 seconds! move the ball! shoot!" i got dirty looks from our side. come on - it's 4th grade! the stakes are low, and i like to see kids do well.
Our son is a soccer goalkeeper. My wife and I always cheered for the opposing keeper, and hoped he didn't give up any soft goals. Some folks gave us strange looks, but being a Keeper's family is tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom