The Buddy leash | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Buddy leash

I agree regarding wins vs. losses. But Braswell was giving us decent minutes recently. Same with Woody prior to his COVID pause. Braswell has been here for 3 years now, and he can’t get into games at the F position over the coach’s son who’s a G? My biggest worry is locker room issues and more offseason transfers.

If Braswell played 6 minutes or whatever it likely doesn't change the calculus. Guess he's the odd man out now that Edwards is playing.

Woody has plenty of time here and seems like something went sideways with him a bit, not as concerned. He plays the game like JB likes it.

Kadary outscored Buddy and Joe combined in 15 minutes of playing time and that is supposedly his weakness. Does anybody deny that he is the best guard on the team? The three fouls is a bogus excuse today. Jim has always started guys in the second half with three fouls. Kadary didn’t return to this game until there were I think under 7 minutes left. I’m sorry but that’s just stupidity.

If Braswell played 6 minutes or whatever it likely doesn't change the calculus. Guess he's the odd man out now that Edwards is playing.

Woody has plenty of time here and seems like something went sideways with him a bit, not as concerned. He plays the game like JB likes it.
Braswell is a good defender.
If he gets more PT it would help the D.
Buddy plays too much.
He isn’t one of our 3 best players.
The kid is a piece of the team not the top piece.
This point can’t be debated because it sadly can’t get objectivity. It causes any discussion to be seen as stuff it isn’t and that shuts down debate.

Buddy isn’t a bum but he shouldn’t be leading the team in MPG.

Braswell, Newton shouldn’t be getting zero minutes.

Braswell is a good defender.
If he gets more PT it would help the D.
Buddy plays too much.
He isn’t one of our 3 best players.
The kid is a piece of the team not the top piece.
This point can’t be debated because it sadly can’t get objectivity. It causes any discussion to be seen as stuff it isn’t and that shuts down debate.

Buddy isn’t a bum but he shouldn’t be leading the team in MPG.

Braswell, Newton shouldn’t be getting zero minutes.

The poster was musing about locker room issues, etc. My rebuttal was just that a few minutes a game likely won't change that (if "that" is a thing).

I think Woody is going to be a good one for us down the line. Pretty sure JB said something to the effect of this year is a freebe for him.

The poster was musing about locker room issues, etc. My rebuttal was just that a few minutes a game likely won't change that (if "that" is a thing).

I think Woody is going to be a good one for us down the line. Pretty sure JB said something to the effect of this year is a freebe for him.
I don’t think the locker room is an issue for JB as it pertains to Buddy.
Buddy is a good kid.
JB plays him too much.
I ask this where is Kadary getting more minutes in the future seasons going to come from.
There is no reason right now JG-BB-KR aren’t playing 22-28 MPG each like Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters and Brandon Triche did in 2011.

Buddy plays 14 MPG more than Kadary that is the issue and Buddy’s not a better defender and Buddy’s offense doesn’t dictate playing all those minutes.
Especially if the defense improves with him resting.

Braswell seems to find a way to create a turnover and get a couple buckets in his 5-6 minutes.

Long raw guy who is starving for minutes so he can develop and become a smoother player offensively.

I think you'd get returns from specifically NOT DNP'ing the guy and making sure he sees 5+ every night.

I don’t think the locker room is an issue for JB as it pertains to Buddy.
Buddy is a good kid.
JB plays him too much.
I ask this where is Kadary getting more minutes in the future seasons going to come from.
There is no reason right now JG-BB-KR aren’t playing 22-28 MPG each like Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters and Brandon Triche did in 2011.

Buddy plays 14 MPG more than Kadary that is the issue.

Kadary had a quick 3 fouls today fwiw (I had to listen to the game on the radio so harder to keep up with minutes). JB in the last two press conferences has been pretty effusive with him.

Braswell seems to find a way to create a turnover and get a couple buckets in his 5-6 minutes.

Long raw guy who is starving for minutes so he can develop and become a smoother player offensively.

I think you'd get returns from specifically NOT DNP'ing the guy and making sure he sees 5+ every night.

For the team? Sure. He's played some valuable minutes, but his time seems to be going to Edwards right now.

I suppose the problematic aspect to this is that we've all witnessed plenty of games where we lack answers. No?

Even pre-COVID college basketball we have been bit with the injury bug at inopportune times and in those instances it would have been nice to have developed a bench.

This year, we have COVID...so perhaps it's more important than ever to have guys hitting the floor in situations they've been placed in as much as reasonably possible.

What might constitute reasonable? Situations where we are beating teams by a lot of points? I would happily start there although I'm not adverse to playing Woody/Bras at other times as well.

So, we have seen Buddy struggle mightily with certain defenses and certainly with his shot. AG has struggled mightily with playing under control, and had a couple games where he just seemed out of it.

JG struggles mightily with his weight and consistency, and Kadary has struggled a little with consistency, confidence and shooting. Accordingly, I simply cannot fathom, on a team with a coach declaring that our "lack of options" doomed us against Pitt or whomever it was, that we cannot find time to work other people into the lineup.

We won't even try AG or Eli last season at SG unless it's some dire emergency (even though both could easily handle the job), but we'll go extended run with Buddy at SF during blowouts? That don't make no sense. Buddy can't even jump off the floor.

Nah. Don't buy it. We gone crazy for Buddy. Plus, could he just run once in awhile on transition D? Just every once in a bit? Get yourself tired so other people can play!!!

Kadary had a quick 3 fouls today fwiw (I had to listen to the game on the radio so harder to keep up with minutes). JB in the last two press conferences has been pretty effusive with him.
So if Kadary has foul trouble and Buddy is struggling does that mean Newton or Braswell can’t play?

I truly believe Braswell is going to grad transfer when he gets his degree.
Do you believe if Buddy got 3 fouls he would sit as long as Kadary did?
That is the question people need to answer honestly.

So if Kadary has foul trouble and Buddy is struggling does that mean Newton or Braswell can’t play?

I truly believe Braswell is going to grad transfer when he gets his degree.
Do you believe if Buddy got 3 fouls he would sit as long as Kadary did?
That is the question people need to answer honestly.

Braswell probably should.

Depends on how stupid the fouls are, but in the first half yeah he'd sit.

Braswell probably should.

Depends on how stupid the fouls are, but in the first half yeah he'd sit.
He would sit in the first half then go right back to starting the second half.
He wouldn’t sit as long as Kadary did because the starting guards get atleast 7-8 minutes before JB even considers subbing either.

I mean people can’t be objective on Buddy’s playing time.
It’s caused people just assume it now no matter how he plays he is getting atleast 35MPG.

That is nuts.
He is a nice player he isn’t our best player.
So how is it going to change next year? Or the year after?

He would sit in the first half then go right back to starting the second half.
He wouldn’t sit as long as Kadary did because the starting guards get atleast 7-8 minutes before JB even considers subbing either.

I mean people can’t be objective on Buddy’s playing time.
It’s caused people just assume it now no matter how he plays he is getting atleast 35MPG.

That is nuts.
He is a nice player he isn’t our best player.
So how is it going to change next year? Or the year after?

This isn't the hill I'm dying on. If his name was Buddy Jones from J-D do you think he gets the same / similar minutes? End of the day JB always defers to shooters and guys who don't make mistakes. And he's played smaller guys at the 3 historically as well.

For the team? Sure. He's played some valuable minutes, but his time seems to be going to Edwards right now.
But Edwards getting minutes should really have no effect on Braswell or Woody. Edwards plays exclusively at center. When we take out Griffin or Guerrier, why can’t another forward on our bench sub in for them? Why do we need to move a guard down to the forward position? Especially when that guard really isn’t playing that well up to that point? That’s the point that I think I and others are trying to make.

I wish I had more insight into body language. Then I could explain what everyone's thinking about Buddy.

I feel like we've been light on the "body language" takes this year. Not sure if that's because of the spacing on the sidelines, or what. Seems amiss. Maybe they're on the horizon?

This isn't the hill I'm dying on. If his name was Buddy Jones from J-D do you think he gets the same / similar minutes? End of the day JB always defers to shooters and guys who don't make mistakes. And he's played smaller guys at the 3 historically as well.
Andy Rautins is a better shooter than Buddy he didn’t play over 30 MPG till his Senior year.

It’s not what you said. JB isn’t consistent.
Which is the point. Buddy plays too much.
How does it change next year?
Or the year after?

The answer is it won’t until we see it. He is playing mediocre to poor and still getting all these minutes.

But Edwards getting minutes should really have no effect on Braswell or Woody. Edwards plays exclusively at center. When we take out Griffin or Guerrier, why can’t another forward on our bench sub in for them? Why do we need to move a guard down to the forward position? Especially when that guard really isn’t playing that well up to that point? That’s the point that I think I and others are trying to make.

It also pushes Marek to his natural position depending on who Edwards is subbing for.

Andy Rautins is a better shooter than Buddy he didn’t play over 30 MPG till his Senior year.

Or the year after?

The answer is it won’t until we see it. He is playing mediocre to poor and still getting all these minutes.

Honestly and this isn't a flame you should just call into the show and ask him yourself.

Honestly and this isn't a flame you should just call into the show and ask him yourself.
Fair enough.
I am telling you though I look at the information before for I say what I say.

Fair enough.
I am telling you though I look at the information before for I say what I say.

Yeah me too. Buddy is averaging 16 point a game, turns it over 1x, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and generally knows his assignments and draws a lot of defensive attention. That's the likely response from him (then again who knows what he'll say).

I totally agree that Buddy shouldn't get so many minutes when his shots aren't falling, but I actually don't think his shot selection today was that bad.
I abhor his backdown game. Despise it. I’m talking Todd Burgan heat of 1,000 suns kind of hate.

He can take all the spot up threes he wants. I actually like his dribble penetration mid range up and under game.

But when he goes into his head down, I’m not passing, back down left, back down right, I’m taking this “turnaround 15 footer no matter how well defended fadeaway”...which he did at least 2x today, I absolutely lose my .

Yeah me too. Buddy is averaging 16 point a game, turns it over 1x, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and generally knows his assignments and draws a lot of defensive attention. That's the likely response from him (then again who knows what he'll say).
Not going to give you an answer to this because it’s pointless.
There is one for the record.

Or the year after?

Buddy is a poor man's Marius Janulis but plays minutes like he's a rich man's Matt Roe. Maybe a bit harsh but I just don't see any reason why he should have more shot attempts than anyone on the team despite the fact that he's played three fewer games. There shouldn't be that kind of a discrepancy. Guerrier is our John Wallace out there. Give him the rock!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom