The Carmelo Anthony Challenge | Syracusefan.com

The Carmelo Anthony Challenge

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Construct an NBA team that Carmelo could win an NBA title with.

It has been said that he's like a fish traveling upstream against the current with the Knicks.

He tends to try and do too much which is never a good thing for the player or the team.

Much like Donovan in football it's seems that Melo has never had the right pieces of the puzzle to achieve the ultimate prize.

Using the Celtics and Heat models of no more than three top of the line NBA All Stars, put together a team that he can win it all with.

Remember he had all of the right ingredients here at Syracuse in 2003 and we won the national championship.

For the last two Olympic championship teams & the Olympic qualifiers he was, on given nights, the best player on the floor.

Last edited:
C - Chandler
F - Ryan Anderson
G - Klay Thompson
G - Tyler Ennis (hey oh!)

Bench -

A distributor
A banger
A guy that creates his own shot
A perimeter defender
Another banger

Ok I will omit other small forwards since we are building Melo's team. No bron, durrant or george.

Stars:
Curry
Love
Melo
Add a tall defensive 2G.
Add center who can rebound/block shots.
Obviously an effective bench is needed and I'd want one that is designed to push the pace and play aggressive so most important piece would be a good pg.

Ok I will omit other small forwards since we are building Melo's team. No bron, durrant or george.

Stars:
Curry
Love
Melo
Add a tall defensive 2G.
Add center who can rebound/block shots.
Obviously an effective bench is needed and I'd want one that is designed to push the pace and play aggressive so most important piece would be a good pg.

I like this team quite a bit for Melo.

A defensive 2g who would work out is probably Igudala, Chandler is currently a capable defensive C, off the bench they would need a shooter like a Novak, and a capable backup point that pushes the floor. Crawford out behind Paul in LA would workout nicely.

If Carmelo wants a title, he needs to go sign with the Lakers for next season. A one season deal with Kobe, Gasol, et al. That's his best shot in the short term. He doesnt have time to wait for the Knicks to get their heads out of their arses.

I like this team quite a bit for Melo.

A defensive 2g who would work out is probably Igudala, Chandler is currently a capable defensive C, off the bench they would need a shooter like a Novak, and a capable backup point that pushes the floor. Crawford out behind Paul in LA would workout nicely.

I wasn't sure on how good the role players were supposed to be but you make some great suggestions. Crawford is exactly what I had in mind for a bench pg.

Starting lineup
PF Carmelo Anthony
SF Lebon James For defense and to earn foul call mostly
Center - someone like JJ Hickson because he covers ground well on defnese and cuts drivers angles.
PG- Michael carter williams
SG- wesley mathews high in 3 point shots/percentages can steal the ball some.

Bench -Center Javale Mcgee
Guard-Manu Ginobili
Center/forward- a big who can step up and really hit the baseline jumper at a real high percentage to open the lane (must have)

Last edited:
If Carmelo wants a title, he needs to go sign with the Lakers for next season. A one season deal with Kobe, Gasol, et al. That's his best shot in the short term. He doesnt have time to wait for the Knicks to get their heads out of their arses.

In my eyes, Kobe doesn't have enough left to even be the third guy on a championship roster. If Melo goes to LA, Kobe would need to be the #2 guy and thats not enough to get it done in the west right now.

Melo on Golden State would be the best option for a title quickly pair him with a ridiculous shooter in Curry, Klay Thompson and Barnes off the bench, Igudala as your defensive stopper, then you have a guy like Bogut down low to defend and clean the glass. Its not as ideal as self creating a team would be, but as far as a roster to just drop Melo on, it's probably the best (outside of simply pairing him with Durant or Lebron.)

Also Cleveland might not be a bad spot either if they could get Melo and a top notch big in the offseason. Top Pg in Irving, Dion who can score well and Melo, thats a formidable trio if Dion can accept not being "the guy"

Melo, Waiters, MCW, Wes Johnson, Hakim. Small line up but they will look good in Knicks orange ;)

Yeah if Melo wants to win a title next year he should opt out and sign with the Bulls

Starting lineup
PF Carmelo Anthony
SF Lebon James For defense and to earn foul call mostly
Center - someone like JJ Hickson because he covers ground well on defnese and cuts drivers angles.
PG- Michael carter williams
SG- wesley mathews high in 3 point shots/percentages can steal the ball some.

Bench -Center Javale Mcgee
Guard-Manu Ginobili
Center/forward- a big who can step up and really hit the baseline jumper at a real high percentage to open the lane (must have)
i laughed hysterically for like 10 minutes.

PG Chris Paul
SG JJ Redick
SF Carmelo Anthony
PF Blake Griffin
C DeAndre Jordan

For me there is a possible Knicks trade with the Clippers with Melo and Tyson going to LA. Though Tyson needs to play a little better.

Melo needs to walk as a FA and get to one of the following:
Bulls: join up with D Rose and Noah
Clippers: join up with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin
Heat: join up with LeBron, Wade and Bosch (except he'd have to sign for peanuts so this ain't happening)
I can't see the Lakers...all they have is an old injured Kobe and a bunch of junk. Gasol is gone next year. Plus Melo did not like D'Antoni.

Just throw Melo on Houston and they could win it. Plenty of other situations he could win it all in as well. Melo is unfairly criticized way too much IMHO - you can't win an NBA championship with a max contract guy not having an impact (Amare)

His biggest challenge is not punching Andrea Bargnani in the face. Bargnani and that blank stare after he does something dumb.

As a Raptor fan, 7 years of Bargs, made me hate him more than UConn.

Rondo and Melo would honestly be a good fit, say what you will.

Rondo
Bradley
Melo
Sullinger
Embiid

Green
Olynyk
Pressey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member