The casual fan isn't going to the bowl game (from up here) | Syracusefan.com

The casual fan isn't going to the bowl game (from up here)

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
the down side of another NYC bowl game so soon is what my unscientific anecdotal survey over the last two days tells me amongst the people I work in my work experience the past couple of days. That's the trouble with NYC around the holidays with $ to stay and it being 4 hrs away I guess.

Some of the others said they'd have gone if a southern bowl not as concerned about $. Oh well. Us diehards will be there. I'm thinking we get 15-20k of us this time around vs. what 25-30k last time..

I know way more people who will attend because of not needing to fly or stay over, but i also get the sense less will attend because the newness is a bit lower.

the down side of another NYC bowl game so soon is what my unscientific anecdotal survey over the last two days tells me amongst the people I work in my work experience the past couple of days. That's the trouble with NYC around the holidays with $ to stay and it being 4 hrs away I guess.

Some of the others said they'd have gone if a southern bowl not as concerned about $. Oh well. Us diehards will be there. I'm thinking we get 15-20k of us this time around vs. what 25-30k last time..

I remember that a lot of K-State folks had sticker shock last time around.

This team deserved russell...having said that im still going to pinstripe. And the casual fan wouldnt go to ANY bowl game..lets be honest

Yeah I am not sure about more folks flying anywhere. Whats an airfare from CNY to Orlando or nearby going for? I know on the RU board no one can find a flight for less than $600 from ANY Metro area airport.

I'm literally finding 5x the number of people going from my inner circle this year vs 2010.

I would love to go. Just a tough time of year for me to commit. Much easier for me to get away after the first of the year.

Ditto the folks saying "casual" fans don't go to bowl games. And CERTAINLY not casual Syracuse fans.

I imagine we'll have ~20-25K there like we usually do for NYC games (note: SU will not sell that many tickets, SU fans don't go through the school like other fanbases). Place will look fuller than 2 years ago since we'll get a lot more WVU fans than K-State fans.

I didn't go last time around, but I will be there this time with several friends in tow

I think people had already planned to go to NYC for the basketball game on 12/22 and can't justify going back a week later to spend more money.

Ditto the folks saying "casual" fans don't go to bowl games. And CERTAINLY not casual Syracuse fans.

I imagine we'll have ~20-25K there like we usually do for NYC games (note: SU will not sell that many tickets, SU fans don't go through the school like other fanbases). Place will look fuller than 2 years ago since we'll get a lot more WVU fans than K-State fans.

They will probably get more than KSU, but I'm not sure we'll see the typical huge WVU crowd. They are very disappointed and this bowl is a huge letdown for them from what they expected mid-season when they were ranked #5. I can see many of them saying screw it especially with the cost of everything NYC.

they dont travel to the Dome either

Yea, but getting to the Dome is an uphill walk. Getting to NYC is a flat car, train or plane ride.

I think people had already planned to go to NYC for the basketball game on 12/22 and can't justify going back a week later to spend more money.
Possibly. Out of the 30 people that are going that I know, zero of them were going to MSG and they're all basketball season ticket holders.

I have a feeling it will look a lot like 2010... At the end of the day, the numbers will be similar

Sounds like a lot of fanbases are not going through the schools anymore. Read this.

http://thegazette.com/2012/05/16/big-ten-wants-bowls-to-change-ticket-distribution/

We have a group buying almost 20 tickets through the school and a lot of my friends are going compared to back in '10.

Sounds like a lot of fanbases are not going through the schools anymore. Read this.

http://thegazette.com/2012/05/16/big-ten-wants-bowls-to-change-ticket-distribution/

Interesting.

Certainly backs up my experience. I bought tickets for the '97 Kickoff Classic through SU --40+ tickets for a large group. The seats sucked, we were stuck up in the corner of the 3rd deck. Since then I have never, ever purchased tickets through the school, knowing I'd end up with a crappy location.

Plus, in the age of StubHub and Ticketmaster, where I can see exactly where I'll be sitting and the price those are paying around me, it makes zero sense to buy tickets sight unseen from the school.

Glad to see the B1G is questioning this, they actually have the juice to change the rules with the bowls.

Interesting.

Certainly backs up my experience. I bought tickets for the '97 Kickoff Classic through SU --40+ tickets for a large group. The seats sucked, we were stuck up in the corner of the 3rd deck. Since then I have never, ever purchased tickets through the school, knowing I'd end up with a crappy location.

Plus, in the age of StubHub and Ticketmaster, where I can see exactly where I'll be sitting and the price those are paying around me, it makes zero sense to buy tickets sight unseen from the school.

Glad to see the B1G is questioning this, they actually have the juice to change the rules with the bowls.
dont think this applies to what SU is offering online through them as they listed the sections we'd be buying so in this case at least fans will know generally what they're getting.

dont think this applies to what SU is offering online through them as they listed the sections we'd be buying so in this case at least fans will know generally what they're getting.

Got it. Glad to see they're at least doing that.

Still, the other issue is price. It doesn't apply to, say, a BCS bowl where most of the time there is demand. But everyone knows there will be ample tickets to buy in the Bronx 5 minutes before kickoff. Between Amazon, eBay, craigslist, Groupon, etc. people are pretty comfortable bargain shopping online these days.

If I was on a budget I'd just keep checking into Stub Hub the next couple weeks and pounce when I saw those $95 main level seats fall to $50.

I have a feeling it will look a lot like 2010... At the end of the day, the numbers will be similar

Much more WVU fans than KSU fans. I see the same amount of SU fans showing up, maybe a little less, but a solid amount of WVU fans making the trip. Be prepared because my friends who are WVU fans are wild and die-hards so the atmosphere ought to be interesting.

I think it will help with the game being on a Saturday, but I also think there is more enthusiasm about the program right now. Two years ago it was just my buddy and me and our friends acted like we were crazy for going down. This year we have about 7 additional people coming down with us.

I think it will help with the game being on a Saturday, but I also think there is more enthusiasm about the program right now. Two years ago it was just my buddy and me and our friends acted like we were crazy for going down. This year we have about 7 additional people coming down with us.

Not sure if the enthusiasm will translate to better attendance, but its certainly a real thing.

Back in 2010 we stumbled into the bowl, having lost 3 of 4 down the stretch. Hell, we beat 2 FCS teams en route to that 7-5 record anyway. And we were still awash in the stink of the GumpRob era. I remember talking to my buddies while we had lunch at the Dinosaur in Harlem that day before the game, wondering how badly KSU would beat us. We were strictly there because we so desperately missed bowl games, not because we felt we would win or that we had a ton of confidence that the program really was healthy again.

The past 6 games have changed that feeling considerably. We have a ton of momentum and people feel like we're good again.