The challenge that is this year | Syracusefan.com

The challenge that is this year

GoSU96

Living Legend
Starting with the defense.

Even before the disruption that has happened this year, fielding a high performing defense was going to be an long putt. The defense lost an lot of experience on the DL and Secondary. Not necessarily the best players, significant depth. Add to that a change in scheme and DC.

Then into the mix is no time in spring to transition the defense and a limited august camp.

During the season the secondary has been gutted by injury to almost every upperclassmen, there has been some instability and limited guys in a very young LB unit, and the DL, while stable, lacks the one guy that is necessary to make a three man front go, which is a true two gap nose.

Here is what the roster looked like going into yesterday also showing last years departures, unavailables, and games played.

1604242433350.png

And here's the offense.

1604256600673.png

Started the year down six upperclassmen from the start of 2019, three graduated, three injured out. The two Davis's have been out for all but one game each (both in limited action) this year. That's five players that would be on the two deep that aren't available. On top of that underclassmen Bleich, Red, Froumy, and White are out for the year as well. The five that have been able to go have improved over the year, but there are guys playing that wouldn't be, at least not starting, either because of injury or they wouldn't have won the spot.

With the skill positions what has happened at RB is nuts, you just can't expect to replace that amount of guys with equal production. Pair that with Devito going out and there just isn't a chance right now to generate consistent offense, even if the OL is improving.

The lack of quality upperclassmen WRs the last two years is mind boggling. Below is our 2016 WR stats. How can you not recruit off of that? The WRs we have had are poor for a run first O. Hopefully there is something in the pipeline.

94 catches 1482 yards 14 TD
90 822 6
48 559 1
48 518 3

And here's the offense.

View attachment 190345

Started the year down six upperclassmen from the start of 2019, three graduated, three injured out. The two Davis's have been out for all but one game each (both in limited action) this year. That's five players that would be on the two deep that aren't available. On top of that underclassmen Bleich, Red, Froumy, and White are out for the year as well. The five that have been able to go have improved over the year, but there are guys playing that wouldn't be, at least not starting, either because of injury or they wouldn't have won the spot.

With the skill positions what has happened at RB is nuts, you just can't expect to replace that amount of guys with equal production. Pair that with Devito going out and there just isn't a chance right now to generate consistent offense, even if the OL is improving.

thats a really glaring visual for the o line, running backs, and secondary

Are you telling me nobody will be injured next year? That would be a first .

There is a reason for this that is not just random. Is it strength & conditioning? Is it the way they practice? Both?
My belief is that Babers fields an outdated offense, which while at Syracuse has only consistently accomplished giving the opposing O back the ball fast (OITNF)...

keep the D on the field longer, more injuries happen. Force tempo with an undersized OL, more injuries happen. OL has injuries, QB’s take bad hits and make bad decisions.

Think our strength and conditioning has been average, however I question Babers’ ability to hold his scholarship players accountable for buying in and remaining disciplined in their physical development/maintenance.

So I don’t understand constantly posting the injured list like this year is any different from what we experience on an annual basis minus 2018. Is it part of the reason we lose. Sure, but it’s not an excuse.
Agreed injuries happen every year.
I think most of us can deal with a poor season this year.
What frustrates me is how awful the organization of the team is.
Our execution offensively is so bad I am shocked when we complete a pass.
In college football 2020 that is insane.

We don’t look like a division 1 Football team.
The team doesn’t look prepared and nothing gets corrected that isn’t working.

Again if we get outalented then I get it.
We don’t look like a competent team. That is coaching.

And here's the offense.

View attachment 190345

Awesome job on the spread sheets Thanks.

So I don’t understand constantly posting the injured list like this year is any different from what we experience on an annual basis minus 2018. Is it part of the reason we lose. Sure, but it’s not an excuse.
Did we have that many injuries prior to 2018? I don't remember it being all that crazy. It just seemed like Dungey couldn't stay in the field.

That's a stark visual breakdown.

And it explains why several key positional units have struggled.

My belief is that Babers fields an outdated offense, which while at Syracuse has only consistently accomplished giving the opposing O back the ball fast (OITNF)...

keep the D on the field longer, more injuries happen. Force tempo with an undersized OL, more injuries happen. OL has injuries, QB’s take bad hits and make bad decisions.

Think our strength and conditioning has been average, however I question Babers’ ability to hold his scholarship players accountable for buying in and remaining disciplined in their physical development/maintenance.

The same outdated offense that averaged 40 points two years ago? That is quick

The same outdated offense that averaged 40 points two years ago? That is quick

I don't think any offense is really outdated. It's just not executed. Either because the players aren't good enough, or because defensive coordinators have caught up to your tendencies.

Dino acknowledged it can be better by going out and getting Gilbert to be his OC/QB coach. It's tough to be a successful OC from game 1 because of all that goes into it, but Gilbert lost the spring and a traditional preseason. People need to give him a chance, no matter what weirdos at USF say.

There is no such thing as an outdated offense. Your team and staff either execute and adjust the gameplan or you don't. I also think how or when coaches call certain types of plays makes a difference. While disappointed we are not seeing some plays on offense, I think overall the offense in 2018 shows it can be productive. I completely agree we have injuries every year but with that said if you look at what has happened to the oline (which was not a strength to begin with), I don't know how people can't see that the injuries are a seriously impactful issue. There are absolutely other factors but it all starts with the line. It impacts the passing and running games. This year our oline even impacted our defense by forcing Elmore to move to guard when we were going to use him at DT. I think before anything positive happens for our team, that oline needs to both heal and get better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom