the class of 2022 will be interesting | Syracusefan.com

the class of 2022 will be interesting

upperdeck

Living Legend
After this yr plays out, it will be interesting to see where hundreds of HS kids fit on rosters that have no scholie spots to fill for the 2022 season..

The big schools with kids leaving for the pros will have spots but schools like SU where in many yrs no kids leave will have 15-20 kids who can stay and many schools will be in that same boat. Do we ask kids to leave, do we try to get kids to stay for yr 5-6, tons of transfers with 1-2 yrs left will be available as well in place of HS kids.

it could also mean some kids that would normally go to big schools end up falling down a notch or 2 of quality players stay at some of these big schools who are good but not quite Pro quality

Indeed ... I’m still waiting for more specifics on how this will all work for the coming years. It seems like the players that would have exhausted their eligibility this past season, will not count towards the 85 limit. But will that be the case for the kids after the 2021 season that want to stay for their 5th (potentially 6th in program) season playing? And for future years as well?

It’s called the Portal. Too many kids mean some will leave. The problem is where will they go if all rosters are full?

but the funding is only a 2021 issue after that its what happens to kids that have the year that want to stay and thats all about number 85.. if the avg class is 20 kids, you have to think most schools will have 10+ kids that teams will want to keep around for yr5 or 6 . Schools like SU that dont usually have kids go to the next level. And its an issue that will go on for 4-5 yrs.. Do schools just say no, then the kids go to the portal? There will be hundreds of kids with experience floating around on top of the normal number.

I think some of the group of 5 and even FCS schools will get lots of good players.

but the funding is only a 2021 issue after that its what happens to kids that have the year that want to stay and thats all about number 85.. if the avg class is 20 kids, you have to think most schools will have 10+ kids that teams will want to keep around for yr5 or 6 . Schools like SU that dont usually have kids go to the next level. And its an issue that will go on for 4-5 yrs.. Do schools just say no, then the kids go to the portal? There will be hundreds of kids with experience floating around on top of the normal number.

That's true assuming the NCAA holds fast to strictly imposing the 85 scholarship limit again starting in 2022-23. I wouldn't be surprised to see a phase out over mutiple years, though, to lessen the impact on the HS class of 2022, but at this point the financial implication is just the one year.

yeah its not a one sport issue.. the ivies are all messed up.. they might miss most of the spring sports too and kids will have multiple years left and no place to play.

What the hell.., at this point in the state of college sports, I think any guy who is a full time student should be able to play college football as long as he wants. If we are going to start paying them anyways, what’s the difference? No more four years of eligibility. Play until you’re 40 if you want! Go State!

Disagree...it was a reaction to the unknown. However, it unfortunately favors the big football factories.

Well exactly, it was more or less an impulsive decision (for optics) without thinking it through and having a fully vetted plan. Everyone is asking now what.

The decision also negatively impacted all the high school kids who lost their seasons with no do overs, and now enter college with bloated rosters.

We’re also going on a year now with no in person recruiting. Some high school senior might be sol because he missed his senior season and a college senior gets to return so there’s no need to offer the Hs kid. I’m happy for one and sad for the other. But life goes on there should’ve been no extra year granted.

Last edited:
Well exactly, it was more or less an impulsive decision (for optics) without thinking it through and having a fully vetted plan. Everyone is asking now what.

The decision also negatively impacted all the high school kids who lost their seasons with no do overs, and now enter college with bloated rosters.

We’re also going on a year now with no in person recruiting. Some high school senior might be sol because he missed his senior season and a college senior gets to return so there’s no need to offer the Hs kid. I’m happy for one and sad for the other. But life goes othere should’ve been no extra yea granted.
Yup. HS seniors are getting a bad deal. Even those who pick up scholarships will be WAY down the roster, with less chance to make 2-deeps. I suppose you could project that many of these kids will gain the benefit of being able to redshirt. But by then it will be so long since they actually played football, they may be set back too far to recover.

It sucks for some. But they are trying to make the best of a terrible situation. I don't find any fault in doing that. And I wasn't in favor of it. But someone was going to suffer. If you had to pick who would suffer the least, I think it would be the high school sr's.

Should go something like 100 in 2022, 90 in 2023 and 85 in 2024. Title IX waivers for the next few years

However, how do you treat the other sports?

How do you do a Title IX waiver without Congress' consent?

Yup. HS seniors are getting a bad deal. Even those who pick up scholarships will be WAY down the roster, with less chance to make 2-deeps. I suppose you could project that many of these kids will gain the benefit of being able to redshirt. But by then it will be so long since they actually played football, they may be set back too far to recover.

How so? A HS Sr. still has all summer and in some cases, even Spring, to impress his coaches enough. Are you just referring to those states that banned HS football, like Cali? Most of the power states - Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio still played full seasons. CA, North Carolina and Virginia were the only big states that cancelled football. And those that are serious about playing next level were probably getting one-on-one training. Heck, our school had a 5-star running back opt-out his senior year so he could focus on one-on-one training to get ready for college ball. He had the choice to play and still thought the best option was personalized instruction.

How so? A HS Sr. still has all summer and in some cases, even Spring, to impress his coaches enough. Are you just referring to those states that banned HS football, like Cali? Most of the power states - Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio still played full seasons. CA, North Carolina and Virginia were the only big states that cancelled football. And those that are serious about playing next level were probably getting one-on-one training. Heck, our school had a 5-star running back opt-out his senior year so he could focus on one-on-one training to get ready for college ball. He had the choice to play and still thought the best option was personalized instruction.

Ok the caveat is not anywhere in the Northeast and every other state that is also shutdown. Neither of my kids have played an organized sport for a year now and summer seasons were shutdown to.

Last edited:
No face to face visits.
Many HS seniors didn’t play. They may not have garnered anywhere near the number of offers they might otherwise have received. So their options were reduced. Due to uncertainty, many more kids committed early. They had to.
Many are goin to go to college and be at the bottom of a 100 player roster. Instead of 85, and all of those extra guys are experienced, and in some cases very capable players.
If they say out their senior year, and redshirt as freshmen — getting few snaps or PT — they will essentially have been out of football for 2 years.
And this part is just a guess, but I would wager that fewer scholarships are handed out to freshmen this year.

No face to face visits.
Many HS seniors didn’t play. They may not have garnered anywhere near the number of offers they might otherwise have received. So their options were reduced. Due to uncertainty, many more kids committed early. They had to.
Many are goin to go to college and be at the bottom of a 100 player roster. Instead of 85, and all of those extra guys are experienced, and in some cases very capable players.
If they say out their senior year, and redshirt as freshmen — getting few snaps or PT — they will essentially have been out of football for 2 years.
And this part is just a guess, but I would wager that fewer scholarships are handed out to freshmen this year.
Plus some of the 2021 seniors will probably take the option to Prep a year. Then the 2022 class will be competing with those kids plus the ones that will be in the portal.

How do you do a Title IX waiver without Congress' consent?
I was talking about any penalties imposed by the NCAA.

Frankly Congress should have better things to worry about

Last edited:
The other issue for 22 and beyond high school players is the portal. If the immediate eligibility rule passes how many schools may opt for the portal to fill positions versus high school players. Your 4 and 5 stars will be fine but I could see a number of 3 stars not get offered that may have in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom