The defense | Syracusefan.com

The defense

samspann1

Living Legend
IMO, is almost as big of a problem as the offense. Does ANYONE here still think that the defense is any good?

I remember someone started a thread gloating about the halftime adjustments made by the staff, and the defense's play in the 2nd half...against Holy Cross. That pretty much says it all, I think.

The offense is not helping the D out at all
Two starting DBs out and missing bear
Sure they are not great but they have been holding up there end most of the time

The offense is not helping the D out at all
Two starting DBs out and missing bear
Sure they are not great but they have been holding up there end most of the time

Gave up 300 yards to Pitt in the first half. 63 points to the high-flying Terps. Chunk plays left and right to WMU. I believe that NC State quadrupled their number of 20+ yard pass plays they had prior to our game, against us.

Missing CBs and Bear doesn't explain why we either whiff on tackles or carry opposing ballcarriers forward for 3-4+ yards.

But hey, we adjusted against Holy Cross!

Gave up 300 yards to Pitt in the first half. 63 points to the high-flying Terps. Chunk plays left and right to WMU. I believe that NC State quadrupled their number of 20+ yard pass plays they had prior to our game, against us.

Missing CBs and Bear doesn't explain why we either whiff on tackles or carry opposing ballcarriers forward for 3-4+ yards.

But hey, we adjusted against Holy Cross!
Okay thanks

The defense has not been bad the last 4 years! And u can5 play defense for 3 quarters of the game and expect it to hold up. I do have questions about the secondary.

IMO, is almost as big of a problem as the offense. Does ANYONE here still think that the defense is any good?

I remember someone started a thread gloating about the halftime adjustments made by the staff, and the defense's play in the 2nd half...against Holy Cross. That pretty much says it all, I think.
Why it makes zero sense that Babers is kicking field goals on the three yard line

The defense has not been bad the last 4 years! And u can5 play defense for 3 quarters of the game and expect it to hold up. I do have questions about the secondary.

The defense got shredded early and often against Maryland, and gave up 300 yards to Pitt in the first half today. Nothing to do in either of those games with the defense wearing down in the 2nd half. This defense is just bad.

I think the defense has been solid. Maybe not dominant but solid. We have no business being within two scores deep into the fourth quarter. The offense puts them back on the field quickly and in crappy positions. When over 40% of your offensive possessions end in a 3 and out, how do you expect the defense to look?

I think the defense has been solid. Maybe not dominant but solid. We have no business being within two scores deep into the fourth quarter. The offense puts them back on the field quickly and in crappy positions. When over 40% of your offensive possessions end in a 3 and out, how do you expect the defense to look?

Pitt drained around 6-7 minutes off of the clock in the 4th quarter and kicked a FG. And after we cut it to a 7-point game, bad overturn notwithstanding, we missed numerous tackles and Pitt salted the clock away

Pitt drained around 6-7 minutes off of the clock in the 4th quarter and kicked a FG. And after we cut it to a 7-point game, bad overturn notwithstanding, we missed numerous tackles and Pitt salted the clock away
True — Pitt smoked us 3 - 14 in the second half. So, rag on that one long drive that was the exception. The defensive kids did not quit, held Pitt in check to give us a chance, though in fairness, Pitt had the better RB and OL.

They were on the field constantly. Should we not expect them to be tired in the fourth? They played well enough for us to win if we had an adequate offense and would have looked better with the same adequate offense.

Not stopping the run at the end is just so disappointing. How many times do you see a team run the clock out like that? I mean, it almost never happens. But of course it happens to us.

That said, this is supposed to be the fastest show on turf, an offensive juggernaut. That’s what we hired. And this defense is way more than adequate to hold up their end in such a system.

They were on the field constantly. Should we not expect them to be tired in the fourth? They played well enough for us to win if we had an adequate offense and would have looked better with the same adequate offense.

TOP was 31:56 - 28:04, in favor of Pitt. Before Pitt's 4Q drive which took 7:10, we actually led in TOP.

How do we get burned on a flea flicker pass two weeks in a row for tds? That makes no sense to me that after watching the film we would make the exact same mistake again.

Defense does not tackle well despite the crowd pleasing big hits. Pitt had mighty mite backs who ran through Syracuse arm tackles all night long. Fourth quarter, less than three minutes to go, Pitt is not, repeat not going to throw the ball and the Syracuse linebackers are six yards off the ball. Ward is not very good and his schemes are worse. 3-9 looks more and more realistic.

TOP was 31:56 - 28:04, in favor of Pitt. Before Pitt's 4Q drive which took 7:10, we actually led in TOP.
I would not have guessed that, given the number of quick outs we had in the first half. I would guess the short field our offense constantly gave them had something to do with it.

I think we only gave up 74 yards in the 2nd half. 20 on the game ending drive.

2nd week in a row though that Evan Ronnie Garvin Foster dropped an easy INT.

I think we only gave up 74 yards in the 2nd half. 20 on the game ending drive.

2nd week in a row though that Evan Ronnie Garvin Foster dropped an easy INT.

Classic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom