The DeVito catharsis thread | Syracusefan.com

The DeVito catharsis thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Now that DeVito has been named QB1 at Illinois, I figured it would be good to have a place where people can work out whatever stuff they need to work out re: DeVito.

Think he kinda got a raw deal here? This is your place.

Feel like he has some consistent underperformance issues and you want to bring them up again? Welcome, this is the place.

Morbidly curious how he performs and just want to keep tabs casually? Yeah, you can do that here too.

Now that DeVito has been named QB1 at Illinois, I figured it would be good to have a place where people can work out whatever stuff they need to work out re: DeVito.

Think he kinda got a raw deal here? This is your place.

Feel like he has some consistent underperformance issues and you want to bring them up again? Welcome, this is the place.

Morbidly curious how he performs and just want to keep tabs casually? Yeah, you can do that here too.

I think after a couple weeks at QB1 for Illinois we will be able to better opine on things...

I get we didn’t have the best Offensive line. But this stat is absurd. That also has a lot to do with the player himself. Couldn’t read the field fast enough. Interested to see how he does at Illinois. Unfortunately if he finds success, it has a lot to say about our head coach imo.

Attachments

• 9A6B740E-5AAB-430D-9448-073521CF28EF.png
    9A6B740E-5AAB-430D-9448-073521CF28EF.png
    481.2 KB · Views: 266
I get we didn’t have the best Offensive line. But this stat is absurd. That also has a lot to do with the player himself. Couldn’t read the field fast enough. Interested to see how he does at Illinois. Unfortunately if he finds success, it has a lot to say about our head coach imo.

Hmmmm - It’s kinda amazing how our backup QB’s had remarkably lower sack rates, playing behind the same (or worse, due to late season injuries) lines.

It’s almost like the QB not getting rid of the ball quickly enough is a very large contributing factor.

As is running out of bounds behind the LOS, rather than throwing it away -
aka gifting the D a sack.

If Tommy is successful at Illinois (which I genuinely hope he is), it doesn't mean that we were somehow wrong not to play him here in lieu of Garrett. Sometimes players just need a fresh start with a new coaching staff, scheme, etc. to get their mojo back.

Tommy is a unique player. He has a rocket arm (probably the best arm at SU since McNabb) and can make all the necessary throws, but his pocket presence is/was horrendous from the beginning of the 2019 season forward.

I have a feeling this thread will not end well for Dino and Co.

I’ll be back in Oct…

DeVito -- in a word -- stunk.

Glad we upgraded. We have three QBs on the roster who are better than TD right now.

Best of luck at Illinois, hope he kills it there, but wasn't sad to see him go and won't lose any sleep about him playing elsewhere.

His performances, and the coaches’ utter reliance on him with no Plan B, set us back a couple of years. He didn’t have the “it“ factor. The team never rallied around him as opposed to say Shrader or Dungey. The guy just wasn’t a gamer most of the time.
He struggled. He took some shots and didn’t seem to be trying to win as much as he was trying to clinically execute diagrammed plays. It’s a subtle difference but it makes a difference. That mentality, combined with an atrocious offensive line was a recipe for disaster. And who was our back up? – Converted TE Rex Culpepper (I hope he’s doing well).
Just very disappointing how the whole thing worked out. The crown jewel of our recruiting class unable to lead us to success. I remember the anticipation before the Maryland game in 2019 when we got lambasted. I remember down by two scores against Rutgers last year, something like third and 12 and he’s throwing a 4 yard out. I remember the Clemson game in 2019 where we had intercepted deep in Clemson‘s territory and the next play he throws an inexplicable interception. There were a few promising moments too, but they were few and far between. He was always running for his life at the drop of a hat.
My little boy sports heart was so aggravated by the inability to make plays. It’s like I was watching a predictable, scripted movie.
Rant over. Catharsis needle moved a little.

I think Tommy had a raw deal overall with how poor the OL was during his middle years. He also had the problem of no depth behind him and the coaching staff was likely pushing him to play conservatively to save him from injury.

However, his pocket presence was not good and beyond frustrating most of the time. Running OB for a loss on 4th and I think 3 a few years ago with no one near him, the constant missed open receivers and the predisposition to not make a play with his feet his first 2 years as a starter killed me.

In particular, two seasons ago I distinctly remember a play where Queeley was 1 on 1 on the near side with tight cover on the same side of the field where DeVito was rolling out. Queeley started to block the CB and TD would have had at least a 10 yard gain if he walked down the sideline. Instead, he held the bell around the LOS for about 5 seconds before throwing the ball into open space where Queeley had no chance of getting the ball.

I think last year he had some good things going for him when he saw Shrader coming for his job, but it just never clicked for him here.

I think he will be solid because he won't be asked to carry their team. Here - I think he was overrated and poorly coached. Not a good combo.

I think he will be solid because he won't be asked to carry their team. Here - I think he was overrated and poorly coached. Not a good combo.

Was he asked to carry SU, especially with the break out of Tucker? I don't think he was.

one is either a bad QB or a good QB.

there really is no middle ground.

for example: shrader, is a bad QB. hopefully 1 of those transfers...is not.

I get we didn’t have the best Offensive line. But this stat is absurd. That also has a lot to do with the player himself. Couldn’t read the field fast enough. Interested to see how he does at Illinois. Unfortunately if he finds success, it has a lot to say about our head coach imo
I assume most QBs that got sacked as often as Devito didnt get 500 snaps.

Robo QB. Amazing arm. Good speed. No feel whatsoever, and he went down easier than any Syracuse player I can ever remember. His last season at Don Bosco was a precurser of things to come.

Seemed like a good kid though. Hope he does well at Illinois (unless they play Syracuse).

Dino and DeVito were like that couple that, by themselves, were great people, but together, were toxic. This break up is beneficial for everyone. I'm confident both will be better for it and in time, I hope that ache in their hearts heal.

To me TD was cocky and arrogant from the start! He needed to leave is HS reputation home and become a student of the game again! hopefully Illinois humbles him and he goes onto a fantastic NFL career..
And you got that from meeting and interacting with him when? Could not be further from the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.