The Dino Babers Show- before Duke | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show- before Duke

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday.

I’ll be summarizing the comments directly related to the team and the next game (late) on the night of the broadcast and anything else interesting the next day, (if there is anything else that seems interesting). I’ll have a “first hour” and a “second hour” question.

They are doing the show on Zoom, not at any local restaurant.

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Home | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s) or Comments

“Coach, you said at the beginning of the season, regarding the offensive line that the ‘cavalry will be coming after about a month, meaning that we’ll be getting back some players that have not bene available. Tommy DeVito was sacked 7 times against North Carolina and 7 more times against Pittsburgh but only once against Georgia Tech and we had a hundred-yard rusher for the first time in a long time. Do we still need the cavalry to come to the rescue and how many will of them there be?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Matt asked Dino what he’s done during the bye week, both professionally and personally. Dino: “Not much personally”, (he’s a football coach), “but we worked on the underbelly of our team. We tried to make up for the three weeks of spring practice we lost, especially in improving our passing game. I’m thinking out first staff meeting after the shutdown wasn’t until July. I told the coaches ‘Please don’t say that this is how we’ve always done things. We’ve never gone through anything like this before.”

1602215823174.png

Or, as Lincoln would have said: “The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise -- with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew.”

Back to Dino: “I hugged a player the other day. He’d tested positive for weeks and he just looked like he needed a hug…On Friday and Saturday we really got after each other but it wasn’t quite the same as a game. We want to get off to a good start and, being fresher due to the week off, run them down as the game progresses.”

Every game has been a noon game so far. Dino remember that when he was at Purdue in 1990, they had a succession of noon games. “You could play the game, go to church, watch everybody else go through was you did and get a good night sleep. It might not be the best for the fans but it was good for this coach.”

I called in my question and got a very short answer, the second part first. “I don’t know…I’d like to get some help at from the fort. I’d like to get guys back. We need numbers for the first and second teams. We’ve had good luck with injuries, (during the season) so far.”

I had hoped that Matt would follow up but all he said was that the lack of practice in the O-line resulted in a lack of cohesion and that Chris Elmore, as a fill-in, had done a pretty good job. He went on to discuss the defensive backfield and the injury problems there. Dino said “we’ll have to see” about Cisco. “We had men who didn’t expect to play thrust into starting roles. They had to call their mothers and tell them to watch the game. They didn’t have time to think about what they were doing so they played well. Now they’ve had two weeks to think about it and we’ll have to see how well they play.”

Matt suggested that Trill Williams has held the unit together with his leadership and his play. Dino:
“ ’Trill the Thrill’ – that’s what he calls himself. He’s always made the flashy plays but now he’s playing more consistently.” (He’s ‘consistently good and occasionally great’.) Matt asked about the lateral off the interception that resulted in a touchdown. Dino laughed before describing his reaction: “If it ends in a TD, I say ‘Good.’ Then I go over the positives and the negatives that could come from such a ply. I stress how it much come out if they were to do that again. At a minimum. We must wind up with the football.”

John in Baltimore called to suggest that we could use a guy like Luke Benson as a wide receiver on screen passes in the red zone. he could not only catch passes but improve the blocking on the perimeter. Dino: “The thought is correct: bigger receivers are generally better blockers. But Taj Harris uses his quickness and intelligence to be one of our best blockers.” He talked about our slot guys. “Nykeim (Johnson), will be mad at me but you don’t want to put a camper on a corvette. Courtney (Jackson) is in the middle range. We might be able to get come blocks from him. We are bigger at receiver than we have been. Our receivers have done an OK job but they need to dominate. We stretch people so wide that perimeter blocking is a key for us.”

He talked about Duke, starting with last year’s 49-6 Syracuse victory. “We put up 50 points with only 16 pass attempts. We completed 7 passes, two for touchdowns.” We rushed for 286 yards and were +3 in turnovers. “Duke turned the ball over their first three possessions of the second half.” Matt suggested that this could be a big advantage for us. Dino dismissed this, saying that Coach David Cutliffe, “is going to fix it.”

He said that we will still try to force those turnovers with “numerous blitzes from all angles. If you look at the film, you can see that guys were open but it’s hard to hit them if your ‘camera’ has shrunk.” Meaning that you ability to see what’s going on the field is limited in width, depth and time. “Our guys do a nice job of catching those turnovers. it makes them ask me to be able to play both ways sometimes. ‘Coach, you know how well I can catch the ball.’ the problem is, I do know. Those guys are doing plenty for us on defense. To play on offense they have to have the speed, mobility and power to make people miss or to overpower them in the trenches. When they come into my office to ask that, I always ask them to bring a friend. They will stop listening to me after I say ‘no’ and their friend will be able to tell them what was said after that.” Matt pointed out that Dino’s been using some defensive linemen on offense in the red zone. “We are lacking certain bodies until the next recruiting class gets here.”

They talked about Chase Brice and how he beat us two years ago. He’s been producing some of those turnovers “but coach Cutliffe will get him straightened out. They put a lot of points on the board against an athletic Virginia Tech team. They have a tight end with 19 receptions. He’s a good runner with a big body who doesn’t need a lot of separation to get the ball. if a quarterback is struggling, throwing it to the tight end can get him out of trouble. He can throw it more quickly.” Yeah, coach, he can!

“We have a pretty good pass rush with our 3-3-5. Duke has a couple of strong ends, Chris Rumph and Victor Dimukeje and a free safety in marquis Walters who is a ball hawk. It’s similar to what we had with Alton Robinson, Kendall Coleman and Andre Cisco.“ They talked about cornerbacks. “A lot of people won’t even look at a cornerback who is less than 6 feet tall because the receivers they have to cover are so big these days.” 5-11 184 Garrett Williams looks pretty good.

“The team that runs the ball and takes care of it the best will win. The defenses are better than people realize.”

Coach Babers introduced his offensive coordinator, Sterlin Gilbert, saying that they were “Salt and Pepper. What he does best is to push me on the ingredients that make us special. He takes ownership of what he does.”

Then they had another abbreviated talk with an assistant coach, between the last commercial and the closing music, which always started in the middle of their conversation. Gilbert wasn’t really saying much anyway. “Trying to teach 40-50 guys on zoom is difficult. We tried to create as much normalcy as possible. We’d had only 3 days of spring football. He was talking about how they were guiding young men into a better career path when the music drowned them out.

They have a tight end with 19 receptions. He’s a good runner with a big body who doesn’t need a lot of separation to get the ball. if a quarterback is struggling, throwing it to the tight end can get him out of trouble. He can throw it more quickly.”

Is that even allowed??

Or is that only a Duke thing?

Related: Please throw to our tight ends!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom