The Dino Babers Show - before Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to Free Radio Online | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments

First segment question:

“Coach, during the preseason when you were asked about your quarterback situation, you referred to when you were on the staff at Arizona in 1998 and used two quarterbacks to go 12-1, including a win over Nebraska in a bowl game. Could you compare and contrast that situation with what we’ve got here now?”

Second segment question:

“Coach, with the combination of the new redshirt rule that started a couple years ago and the wide open transfer portal we have now, should we get used to losing people after the fourth game of the season because they want to preserve a year of eligibility for the new school they will be going to?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Matt referred to our positive turnover ratio, (actually it’s -2 on the season), and the goal line stand as the keys to the Liberty game. He asked Dino to describe the final minutes. HCDB: “My hat is off to Cody Roscoe and Marlowe Wax. The goals line stand was an amazing four play sequence. To beat a first round draft pick with his first turnover of the season is strong defense.

Matt mentioned that people were criticizing Coach Hugh Freeze for not kicking a field goal in that final sequence but that the angle would have bene a sharp one. (I would criticize Freeze for just trying to overpower our guys on three straight plays- but I’m glad he did it.) Dino: we had a 4th down opportunity on 4th and 1 and considered going. But if we messed up they weren’t far from field goal range. The key to a goal line stand is for everyone to do their job but for the players nearest the ball to do more than that. We needed 3-4 guys to tackle that dogone quarterback.”

They got to talking about Eric Coley, who had a good game. Dino said he’d seen him in high school, playing in the Dome and knew he had to recruit him. “If there are local players from New York State who can play, we’re going to recruit them”. Matt noted that Eric’s recruitment might have been facilitated that his stepfather, Vinson Reynolds, is Dino’s defensive line coach.

I called in my first question. Dino said that the situation at Arizona in 1998 was “unique. The two players were totally different guys. One could throw and the other guy was a runner.” That doesn’t sound unique. Here are their numbers that year:
It looks to me that one guy, (Keith Smith), is simply better than the other, (Ortege Jenkins). Dino called them “awesome guys who are great friends and both have become very successful”.
Dino, the team’s OC, wanted to pick one guy and go with him but head coach Dick Tomey, “my mentor, a defensive coach”, over-ruled him. “I like to stick with one. I feel like we’ve got two starters. If we need somebody’s skill to win a game, I’ll do that. We’ll do what we need to give my other 104 stepsons to win a game.”

Matt wondered if it was an advantage to have both of them “on edge”. Dino wasn’t sure what that meant. “The players are handling it well. The number of plays they have run is currently about equal but the reps in practice have changed. Whoever is hot will get a chance to stay hot.” Matt: “Have you committed to the run game or does the other team dictate what personnel you will use?” Dino: We have to put our players into a position to win.”

Back from a commercial, they talked about playing Madden football. Dino’s never done that but the players do all the time. He first encountered it at Baylor where he had some players over to his house for a barbeque, (is that legal?). Some of the players brought their Madden game over and Dino was amazed at the graphics. When he saw that the defense was in a ‘cover 2’ and the players were figuring out how to attack it, he got mad. “Here I am trying to teach you and you guys act like you don’t know the coverages.” To Dino, a football game was a bunch of plastic players, one with a cotton ball in his arms, vibrating across a metal field. (A few years ago I showed some neighborhood kids my old vibrating football game once and they thought it was the coolest thing ever.)

Tom in Manlius hoped Dino would try to hit Florida State early with the passing game because they are vulnerable there and an early score, (such as what we tried on the first play against Liberty). He wondered if we could go into “the two-minute drill early” because they wouldn’t expect it. Dino: “But then we wouldn’t get to establish our best player early, (Sean Tucker). We want to see what they will do to defend against him. Then we can see where they weaken themselves and we can take advantage of it with the run or the pass. We want to pass the ball better but how cool would it be to run the ball better? We’re confident we can do that with Garrett. We expect to be better or someone else will be better.”

Matt congratulated Dino on avoiding penalties. DB: “Our young men listened and did a great job to give us an opportunity to win against a very good team.”

John in Baltimore loved that opening long pass. So did I- it brought my mind back to the Dick McPherson days- remember when we always tried to hit a bit one on the first play, (see 2:20 and 14:10):
He wondered if Dino had any trick plays we could use to stun FSU. Dino: “I love trick plays. Some things have to be right. I like to save them for teams we are unlikely to beat.” (After a 1-10 year, isn’t that everybody?) Dick Tomey always stressed chasing people down if they got away from your defense, (or your offense after a turnover). He was always interested in how many times you could hold a team to a field goal or even scoreless after a saving tackle. Dino recalled that when he first came here he used a play that sent Eric Dungey downfield to catch a pass and people “booed and ripped” for exposing him to injury. That lasted until Eric first leaped a play to score and later threw an interception, made the tackle and caused and recovered a fumble to get the ball back on the same play. He didn’t worry about Eric after that.

John also asked about our getting no return yardage in the game. Dino said that we’d lost our veteran punt returner when Nykeim Johnson left and that Trebor Pena, (whose name he didn’t mention for some reason), had been injured and his replacement, (Courtney Young) is also out there for the first time. Dino is aware that we are losing yardage when balls aren’t caught and wants to see improvement there. Matt noted that “Rutgers’ punter was a magician kicking bowling balls, that Liberty didn’t have their regular punter and that Florida State’s punter can do it with either leg.” During the Rutgers game, he said that the punter “kicked balls with knives sticking out of them”. Dino said that “catching balls is an unbelievable skill” and that the young returners have to get used to looking up into the Dome lights to do it. He also has a lot of admiration for holders, who “have to have soft hands and get it just the way the kicker wants it”.

Matt opined that “The Wake game could be a huge game if we take care of business.” Dino declined comment because he doesn’t discuss any opponent but the next one.

Matt asked Dino if he had ever met Bobby Bowden. He did – once. He was on the UCLA staff on 2006 when they played Florida State in the Emerald Bowl in San Francisco, (they lost to the ‘Noles 27-44) and he met him at that time. The two teams were on the same side of the field and he as the OC would often be shouting plays onto the field as Bowden was shouting instructions, just a few feet away. Nonetheless, he was impressed, saying “Everything you read about is true. He was a Godly man and absolute leader.” He later, after retirement, was a guest speaker at the bowl game Bowling Green went to. Matt said that Bobby and his wife were married 77 years, (actually 72: they were married in 1949). They talked about what has happened to Florida State since Bobby left: Jimbo Fisher won a national title. “He had dreams of taking them to a certain place but then the SEC called”.

They are most worried about Jashaun Corbin and Jermain Johnson. Corbin is averaging 9.1 yards per carry, including an 89 yarder vs. Notre Dame and a 75 yarder vs. Louisville. Johnson, a Georgia transfer, plays DE and leads the team with 31 tackles, 7.5 for losses, including 5.5 sacks. DB: “They’ve got a lot of 4 and 5 star players and they will get this turned around in time. I just hope they don’t do it against us. Milton is their thrower. The other guy uses his legs.” Actually, neither Mackenzie Milton nor Travis Jordan is much of a runner and Jordan has more TD passes:
2021 Florida State Seminoles Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
About Johnson: “He makes plays all over and really hits his man. He loves the physicality of the game.”

Matt brought up a statement that Dino made about Sean Tucker: he never laughs. Dino suggested he should watch some John Candy movies. Matt said that the players on Dino’s wouldn’t know who John Candy was: he died in 1994. “Your players weren’t born yet.” Dino was shocked by that. He though it was “just a few years ago”. They started shouting out the names of John Candy movies, asking people to raise their hands if they’d seen them. They got a more favorable response than Matt expected, blaming it on “parenting issues”.

They brought on linebacker coach Chris Acuff while Dino ate his dinner. Acuff praised Mikel Jones: “He understands what we want and has communication and leadership skills.” On the big strip-sack: “Cody Roscoe fights his way to the quarterback and drills him. Marlowe should have recovered the ball but Mikel got it. Geoff Cantin-Arku “provides a change of pace. He’s made some great plays. He’s an integral part of our defense.” Against FSU, “we’ve gotta stop the run and limit the YAC. In every game, Corbin busts one out.”

Gomez came on talking about the seven deer he encountered on the way to heritage Hill and on the pumpkin catapult they have outside. Dino thought it was something out of Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. Gomes said they grade the catapults “for distance and accuracy”. Dino: “Just like quarterbacks”.

Gomez wondered about the “locker room vibe at 3-1”. Dino: “Practice has been good, although we had to refocus after the big win. We want to send the super seniors out with something special.”

He was impressed with the student section, with their ‘white out’ and all the noise they made. “That was different than last year. The noise hyped up and helped the defense on 4th down. I didn’t hear the pads smacking against each other, but I know they were.” Gomez said that fourth and goal is one thing he ahs to watch in any game. “What other things do you have to stop and watch?” Dino: “The Masters – hole #7 with the wind, two free throws to win a basketball game, Adam Sander vs. Bob Barker, “I don’t want a piece of you. I want the whole thing”
The Price Is Wrong, Bitch - Happy Gilmore (8/9) Movie CLIP (1996) HD
He also mention, Tombstone, Gladiator and Troy, as well as the Godfather, (who he imitated), making “an offer he couldn’t refuse”.

Dino was impressed with his team’s effort “vs. a #1 draft pick. They don’t care who gets the credit as long as they are in orange.” Willis said that he missed the other team’s fans getting on him. He’d also said that “thought it was cool” that Syracuse defense had improved. (I wonder if the thought the goal line stand was cool.)

Gomez asked Dino if he’d ever had to deal with fans shouting something vile about him or his team. “At eastern Illinois somebody was heckling my team as we left the field and I just popped- people around here have never seen me pop. But my big offensive linemen- bigger than anyone we’ve got here, told me what I always tell my players: “Don’t give them your juice, coach!” (He had a linemen bigger than Kalen Ellis?)

I called in my second question about whether there will be an exodus of players leaving after the fourth game of the season. DB: “I hope not but it’s definitely legal. The kids want the freedom to do what they want. I tell players not to leave before they get their degree. You’re not going to transfer to a place that can do more for you than a private school like Syracuse.” Gomez asked if the rules might be ‘tweaked’ in the near future. DB: “I don’t think so. Young people want freedom. But don’t leave too soon!”

RGIII put Sean Tucker is his top 5 for the Heisman. Dino appreciated what his former player said but “we’ve got a long way to go….he’s quiet and humble. He reminds me a lot of Marcus Allen. When I was in sand Diego I was at a party in a garage and noticed a guy sitting in the corner. It was Marcus Allen. Nobody even knew he was there – sitting in the corner of a garage. He talked to me for an hour. I was still in school.”

This will be many of the players first experience playing on the road before a big crowd. “The older players will help the younger guys prepare for it.” Dino still bemoaned that we have air conditioning in the Dome. A hot, sweaty Dome would have prepared the players for playing in Tallahasee.

I love this, so appreciative of the recap. I only ever get to listen to like 5-10 min of it.

John Candy, Happy Gilmore vs Bob Barker, a garage party with Marcus Allen, and this great line:

Dino: “I love trick plays. Some things have to be right. I like to save them for teams we are unlikely to beat.” (After a 1-10 year, isn’t that everybody?)

There was a little bit of everything this week.

I agree with him on the Dome A/C part. Believe that was a big home field advantage for us.

Re: trick plays, just come out and throw another play action long ball on the first play of the game. I assume FSU will be on the lookout for it but I say let it fly.

(the freeze option pass that I saw watching the above video at 14:10 would be a pretty sweet trick play to open the game. Hopefully Gilbert/Dino have seen that one)

Last edited:
I agree with him on the Dome A/C part. Believe that was a big home field advantage for us.

Re: trick plays, just come out and throw another play action long ball on the first play of the game. I assume FSU will be on the lookout for it but I say let it fly. (the freeze option pass that I saw watching the above video at 14:10 would be a pretty sweet trick play to open the game. Hopefully Gilbert/Dino have seen that one)
It was an advantage but if the AC means more fans and we're louder...I'll take that. I dont mess those sweltering September afternoons.

John Candy, Happy Gilmore vs Bob Barker, a garage party with Marcus Allen, and this great line:

Dino: “I love trick plays. Some things have to be right. I like to save them for teams we are unlikely to beat.” (After a 1-10 year, isn’t that everybody?)

Re: trick plays, just come out and throw another play action long ball on the first play of the game. I assume FSU will be on the lookout for it but I say let it fly. (the freeze option pass that I saw watching the above video at 14:10 would be a pretty sweet trick play to open the game. Hopefully Gilbert/Dino have seen that one)

A friend once told me that if he were a coach, he'd run a trick play on every down.

I responded that if you ran a trick play on every down, they wouldn't be trick plays. They would be your offense. You've got to get the other team to prepare for basic plays to set up the trick plays.

To clarify this question from Jon from Baltimore (I know him well), I, I mean he said that it seemed that we only used trick plays or tried to block punts when the game was out of reach and wouldn't affect the game such as when we played Clemson last year in the second half and against FCS teams and was trying to understand the logic of it. He gave the answer that Steve wrote above, which was frustrating, as it seems pointless to do it when it doesn't affect who wins the game and just there to make the score look better for us after the fact.

It was an advantage but if the AC means more fans and we're louder...I'll take that. I dont mess those sweltering September afternoons.
And there's nothing to stop them from cranking the heat in the practice facility to prepare for the florida heat.

And there's nothing to stop them from cranking the heat in the practice facility to prepare for the florida heat.
Exactly. My wrestling coach used to put rolled up wet towels under the doors and an ice pack on the thermostat in our wrestling room. Every practice was a sauna. We weighed ourselves before and after every practice to see how much water weight we dropped. My best was 7 lbs. You're probably not allowed to do that anymore.

I love HB/WR option passes. Just loosens everything up if they know someone else besides the QB is capable and willing to throw the ball.

Hopefully if Rhino is available, we see more Mang lined up on the LOS blocking. Rhino leading Tucker behind the left side of the line with Mang on the end creates some huge holes.

Exactly. My wrestling coach used to put rolled up wet towels under the doors and an ice pack on the thermostat in our wrestling room. Every practice was a sauna. We weighed ourselves before and after every practice to see how much water weight we dropped. My best was 7 lbs. You're probably not allowed to do that anymore.
Yeah. And it doesn't actually make sense, the weight loss part. It makes sense to condition for heat, but with adequate hydration.

Yeah. And it doesn't actually make sense, the weight loss part. It makes sense to condition for heat, but with adequate hydration.
We rehydrated and no one had any issues.

A friend once told me that if he were a coach, he'd run a trick play on every down.

I responded that if you ran a trick play on every down, they wouldn't be trick plays. They would be your offense. You've got to get the other team to prepare for basic plays to set up the trick plays.
For the record we may have the highest percentage of trick plays ran on us the last three years. Even when we have it defended well they always manage to get decent yardage on it.

These posts and the Why … Will Win posts are part of every pre game prep for me the past few years. How long you been doing this for SWC75 ?

We rehydrated and no one had any issues.
If you were losing up to 7 lbs over the course of a workout, your hydration wasn't keeping up with your sweat loss. I'm glad nobody had issues.

If you were losing up to 7 lbs over the course of a workout, your hydration wasn't keeping up with your sweat loss. I'm glad nobody had issues.
Of course not. We rehydrated after practice. The level of exertion during our 2 to 3 hour practices was too high to be able to "maintain" hydration during practice. I don't expect anyone who didn't wrestle to understand. That's ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom