The Dino Babers Show - before Liberty | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Liberty

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday.

I’ll be summarizing the comments directly related to the team and the next game (late) on the night of the broadcast and anything else interesting the next day, (if there is anything else that seems interesting). I’ll have a “first hour” and a “second hour” question.

They are doing the show on Zoom, not at any local restaurant.

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Home | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s) or Comments

“Coach, Tommy DeVito is not available and Rex Culpepper is the next man up. Somebody’s got to replace Rex as the back-up quarterback, somebody who might be the future of the position. Could you discuss David Summers, Dillan Markiewicz, JaCobian Morgan and Luke McPhail in terms of their skill set and how close or far away they are from being able to help us this year?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

(Today was my birthday and I received a congratulatory call from me brother and sister-in-law at 7:23, just after I’d asked my question and gotten Dino’s response. I was on the phone for 20 minutes with them and thus missed that portion of the show. If anyone who listened to it would like to fill in what was talked out in that time, be my guest.)

Dino said “Liberty is coming in here, undefeated with plenty of wager. They have a quarterback, (Malik Willis, who may be the fastest player on the field and a tailback from Rochester. They have a unique scheme that gave us trouble last time. Things were exploited. Things that I didn’t think were going to happen, happened.“

Matt pointed out that Tommy DeVito was out and Andre Cisco is out and has opted for the NFL. DB: “Guys like me must be crazy to put their whole livelihood on the decisions of 18-20 year-olds. Some years are going to be 10-3 years. Others will be losing years. Most will be in between. At quarterback we’ll start at the beginning. Rex will be #1. Hopefully no one else will have to play. We’ll have a new back-up who doesn’t have the reps.” He said that the freshmen had worked only with the scout team. “What they get there is the game speed and see some big objects coming at them. But they have bene running the other team’s offense, not ours. We had a plan for them when we recruited them and they definitely have some skills.”

He reminisced about when he recruited Andre Cisco at IMG Academy in Florida, a place “where everyone expects to become a professional in their field. Everybody knew his name. He was very Zaire Franklinish, very Kendall Colemanish, on and off the field, totally committed to becoming a professional player. He lived in the training room, even when not injured. He wanted to be 100% all the time. We have film sessions in the middle of the night with me, the position coach and Andre. It bugs me when the NFL gets the really special ones at bargain prices. I just wanted him to get his money’s worth. He’s had the type of college career that he should be paid more than he’s going to get and I told his mother that. When he told me he was leaving I didn’t give him a hug, although I wanted to. He’s going to make it.”

A caller named bill wanted to know why we are dropping so many passes and why the referees are making calls like not penalizing the kick returner for running after he’d signaled a fair catch and the roughing the kicker flop. Dino, as he often does, tackled the second issue first. “Our guy rushing the kick took the wrong lane and never got to the block point. I don’t know whether he actually made contact or not. I saw the fair catch play and asked ‘Isn’t that illegal’? There was a third call that I don’t want to discuss but we didn’t lose because of three calls. The combination of dropped passes and losing the physical battle made it very hard to win. When we first went into the new Dome to practice I noticed how much brighter the lights were. Not every drop was by a player looking into the lights. Some guys were wearing plastic shields and they were picking up glare. I’m not making excuses – these are facts. But we do not believe in dropping the football. You can forgive a defensive player. But if you are an offensive player and you are dropping the football you will not play.”

Matt asked about the war in the trenches. “it’s about tackling and the will to stick your face in there. If you tell your guys to go over the hill, they have to go over the hill. We used to have wedges on kickoffs We used to judge players by whether they attacked like they were proud to be wearing the orange and blue.”

I then called in my question. Dino said that in the five years he’s been here, I have asked the most thoughtful questions of anyone – but he’s not going to answer that one because “our opponents listen to this show. I will say that we spend out time getting our starting quarterback ready and his back-up and the #3, #4, #5 guys don’t get much attention. They are not in the mix. All their skill sets and knowledge of the game are very young.” (This is where that clip from “The Dawn Patrol” comes in.)

(Now comes the 20-minute gap.)

1602813736366.png

When I came back, Dino was talking about his days at Baylor. They had a choice between Robert Griffin III and a transfer from the University of Miami. After fall practice, it was 50-50 between them and the coaches voted on who start in the opening game. I voted for the Miami guy because he’d played before. He won the vote and came out and threw 2-3 picks. RGIII came in and almost led us back to victory. He started for the rest of his career there. The only game he didn’t start was because of a coach’s vote. It makes me think that if it’s dead even between a guy who has played and guy who has never played, maybe you should go with the younger guy.” (Because if he’s already even at an earlier stage, he’s going to be the better guy in the long run. I guess that means that rex is not 50-50 with any of the four freshman.)

Mike in Connecticut is tied of ‘believe without evidence’. In Dino’s first year, we had the Virginia Tech win. In his second we had the Clemson win. Then we went 10-3 but it’s been all downhill from there. “Without coachspeak, can you identify the single biggest mistake you’ve made in that time?” He suggested it might be a lack of recruiting quarterbacks or offensive linemen. Dino: “We recruit quarterbacks every year. I tell my players ‘My job is to go out and recruit someone better than you. It’s your job to become the best you can be. Learn the offense. Get bigger and stronger. Don’t make mistakes. The thing that hurts us the most in the line are injuries. It’s hard to say we need more linemen. You can’t have 30 of them. From 2016-2018 we had basically the same line except for my son-in-law. After 2018 we were no ready to re-load. A lot of our injuries haven’t taken place on the field. Players are students and stuff happens.”

Matt said that in football, as in baseball, you have to be strong up the middle – and we’ve lost our running backs, our quarterback, have a middle linebacker with injuries and have lost our all-American safety and his partner hasn’t played. Dino added that “the guys in the middle tend to be the ones to tell the guys on the edges what to do.” (They call the signals.) matt asked him about Geoff Cantin-Arku. DB: “I would like to think that Geoff is OK. He does have an Owie.”

They had been saying from the beginning of the show that they would end the show with a conversation with linebacker coach Chris Acuff. This proved to be even more of a train wreck than usual as Acuff never even got on the air. Instead Dino said that our linebackers “Have missed too many tackles. They have played well at times and gotten some turnovers, including Geoff’s fumble return TD. But we have to tackle batter – wrap your arms around him like he was something dear to you.” (But maintain social distancing!)

Gave you a like for doing a great job reporting on the show (as always!). Wish I could give you another Like for the Rose Mary Woods reference. Solid!

I really don't buy the glare excuse for dropped passes. The other team plays under the same lights and they're no brighter than, you know, the sun, that big bright orb that teams play under in outdoor stadiums. And we should have an advantage with correct equipment choice at home.

Have a hard time understanding why you would not have your newer qbs only run the scout team and not learn your offense. So markowitz, Morgan and McFall are all running the scout team. We have dedicated more qbs to running the opponents than our own. Maybe we should run the opponents offense they seem to be able to sustain drives.

When SU is recruiting QBs, those recruits might not want to hear that true frosh, if #3, 4 or 5, don’t get much attention. Naturally, Babers is going to focus his game week attention on the first unit, but some members of his staff have to be working with and coaching up those true frosh. Right?

Have a hard time understanding why you would not have your newer qbs only run the scout team and not learn your offense. So markowitz, Morgan and McFall are all running the scout team. We have dedicated more qbs to running the opponents than our own. Maybe we should run the opponents offense they seem to be able to sustain drives.
During the season you get 4 11/2 hr practices that’s it no time for 3s you have to get to #2 in camp . You take this week for example REX needed extra reps on top of it especially for this game the weakest opponent we have the best chance to win that we have , yes we can lose but yuu know where I’m coming from .

Your comment shows your ignorance to how football practice reps are distributed. It's normal for the quarterbacks not on the two deep to run the scout team offense each week. It is not normal for a third, fourth, or fifth team QB to take precious few practice reps from the starting or primary back up QB during game preparation. McNabb ran the scout team as a redshirt.

One of the guys we haven't seen got reps with the normal offense this week. The coaches know who that was. The other guys continued on the scout team.

When SU is recruiting QBs, those recruits might not want to hear that true frosh, if #3, 4 or 5, don’t get much attention. Naturally, Babers is going to focus his game week attention on the first unit, but some members of his staff have to be working with and coaching up those true frosh. Right?
I'm sure they're running whatever drills all the guys run in individual position work, but they're not learning our offense during the season, at least not during practice. That's done in the spring and preseason.

I really don't buy the glare excuse for dropped passes. The other team plays under the same lights and they're no brighter than, you know, the sun, that big bright orb that teams play under in outdoor stadiums. And we should have an advantage with correct equipment choice at home.

That comment was on the level of last years "we didn't have the tape". Yikes.

I'm sure they're running whatever drills all the guys run in individual position work, but they're not learning our offense during the season, at least not during practice. That's done in the spring and preseason.
Would be great if some reporter or poster could outline or follow what the #3, 4 and 5 QBs do over the course of a week (mid-season) to improve skills, learn plays, run the scout offense vs the defense. There is a sense that the staff pays little attention and does not know what they have in these frosh QBs, and does not work on their development, until injuries happen. I am sure that is not the case.

Would be great if some reporter or poster could outline or follow what the #3, 4 and 5 QBs do over the course of a week (mid-season) to improve skills, learn plays, run the scout offense vs the defense. There is a sense that the staff pays little attention and does not know what they have in these frosh QBs, and does not work on their development, until injuries happen. I am sure that is not the case.
That seems impossible for a reporter to do with no access to practice. The coaches aren't going to sit down and outline a list of drills or a practice schedule.

I would think that whatever time each position group spends drilling they're working on things like throwing mechanics and footwork. When it comes time to work on assignments and plays, they're running the scout team.

During the season the limited practice time has to be spent on prepping for the opponent. Guys that are deep on the bench need to work on improving their bodies since they're not getting beat up in games and spend time on their own doing whatever they can to prepare to audition for playing time during the next offseason. It's the spring and preaseason that coaches can focus on the young guys that aren't playing right now.

"I voted for the Miami guy because he’d played before." This statement says a lot about Dino's though process. Some players are not great practice players but really shine in games. He should at least give one of the freshmen qbs some time and see what they can do. What he’s putting out there now isn't lighting up the scoreboard. Dungey came in without game experience and look what happened.

3 out of 5 years he's lost his starting qb and still no qb depth. I thought he would have placed more urgency on qb depth after year 2.

Happy Birthday and thanks!

Who knows how much of what Dino says is coach speak vs actuality.

Players not getting hurt on the field, does that mean not on gameday or not playing football? If it is not football then What? Are kids getting hurt in the weightroom? Walking around the hill? The way he put it makes it sound like we have trouble walking and chewing gum.

The QB comment, yes the 3rd string and on will not get practice reps but shouldn't they somewhat know the O by now from studying film and the playbook? Sure they will not know it as well as Rex, but they certainly should know it enough to play if needed.

Again this is all most likely talk and not the case, or at least I hope so.

Who knows how much of what Dino says is coach speak vs actuality.

Players not getting hurt on the field, does that mean not on gameday or not playing football? If it is not football then What? Are kids getting hurt in the weightroom? Walking around the hill? The way he put it makes it sound like we have trouble walking and chewing gum.

The QB comment, yes the 3rd string and on will not get practice reps but shouldn't they somewhat know the O by now from studying film and the playbook? Sure they will not know it as well as Rex, but they certainly should know it enough to play if needed.

Again this is all most likely talk and not the case, or at least I hope so.

Exactly, who knows what he actually believes and thinks versus just the typical coach speak. I don't put much stock into any of it. The good or the bad, it means pretty much nothing.

I think Dino would tell you Syracuse football is a tough sell and very difficult place to recruit

During the season you get 4 11/2 hr practices that’s it no time for 3s you have to get to #2 in camp . You take this week for example REX needed extra reps on top of it especially for this game the weakest opponent we have the best chance to win that we have , yes we can lose but yuu know where I’m coming from .
When you're losing, everything you do is wrong.

I remember under GROB someone calling into the post-game talk show to complain about the way the team ran onto the field.

When you're losing, everything you do is wrong.

I remember under GROB someone calling into the post-game talk show to complain about the way the team ran onto the field.
Funny...the one thing I'd add to that is that if you're goal is winning, and you're not, then you are doing something wrong.

I know it takes time, it takes this, it takes that... I defer to Parcells, you are what your record says you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom