The Dino Babers Show - before Louisville | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Louisville

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
http://cuse.com/news/2016/8/30/football-dino-babers-radio-show-debuts-wednesday.aspx

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse)99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: WGVA

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

(For the moment, I assume they want us to submit it to the “Scott Shafer Show”)

My Question(s)

“Coach I was impressed with your offense but more impressed with your defense, particularly the tackling. I read an article and saw a video about how you and Coach Ward are employing the concepts used by Pete Carroll in Seattle, which he calls “hawk tacking”. It’s based on rugby and emphasizes use of the shoulder rather than the head and gaining control of the ball carrier over knocking him off his feet. Could this be at least a partial answer to the problems American football is having with concussions?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

(They were still in the Cavalier Room. They will move to Shaughnessey’s when it is finished. )

Coach Babers liked the opening game. “There were a lot of chess moves, lots of adjustment and changes of scheme.” He’s impressed with the Colgate staff and thinks they will be running an FBS program someday, (just like Dino and his former FCS coaches are doing now.)

On that opening drive: “It should have been 3 and out. Our defense played so well we decided to try to block the kick. The guy who was supposed to block it held up for some reason and somebody who had no business being where he was in the first place got called for roughing the punter.” (It must have produced an interesting conversation on the sideline.) “I was hoping that would be one of those games where that would be their only score. I was pleased when that turned out to be true.”

I called in my question but before asking it, I congratulated the coach for making history in his first game. We first played Colgate in 1891 and lost that game and the next two in the series. In all the years since, we had never caught up to the Red Raiders. I described the “HooDoo” and said that when Colgate last beat us in 1950, that put them ahead in the series 16-31-5. Ben Schwartzwalder turned that around and beat Colgate so badly the series was suspended. We’ve played them a few times since and won easily but we never caught up until last Friday night.

Regarding my question, the coach didn’t want to get into the concussion issue, (if he doesn’t want to talk about something, he doesn’t). “We teach proper tackling. We do use the rugby-style tackle you read about but we also use what we call a “head across the bow” tackle. When it’s 4th and 1, you can’t let them fall forward. In that instance, you can’t tackle with the head behind the body. So we teach both kinds of tackling.”

Matt asked him about Lamar Jackson. “He has shifty flat-out speed. This will make some of my players mad but he might be the fastest guy on the field. He moves through space effortlessly. He’s talented with both this legs and his arm.”

The gamer will be on Friday night on ESPN2. It will be the only major college game on at that time. “It’s more important to the players than anybody. The families that loaned their sons to Syracuse University will get to be able to see them on TV in their living rooms. It’s also important for recruiting. We want to put a product out there that is exciting and will make them want to some to Syracuse.

David in Queens was concerned with the offensive line, which seemed to have trouble blocking for the run or the pass: was it just a first game problem or indicative of an actual weakness? Coach felt that the line must have done something well because we accumulated 554 yards and are in the top 20 in the country in offense. “554 yards of anything is a good thing.” (Unless it’s premature.) “When the play gets stopped fans focus on the result but the cause could have been a lot of things, a receiver running the wrong route, for example. We want to run the ball when we want to do it, not simply take it when the defense gives it to us. I want out team to embrace the physicality of the game…..the best football teams embrace the old qualities of the game… If you want to move the ball consistently, you’ve got to be balanced. If the other team knows what you are going to do, you are working uphill. It’s harder to coach both and some coaches find it easier to put their hat on one thing.

Coach is used to weekday games from his time in the MAC. “The only day that is off-limits is Wednesday- and I never knew why.” Matt suggested it was “hump day” and they can’t figure out what week it’s in. Coach said that the schedules are so flexible these days that you can begin the season and not know that you will be playing a weekday game in November. (By the way, next week’s show will be on Thursday because the game will be on Saturday- they always try to do the show two days beforehand.)

Ah, yes, the chain gang…..HCDB: “It’s not a discussion. The rules are written in black ink on white pages. The officials wait for the box to be set up.” (The “box” being the guy with the pole that has the sign showing the down at the top of it – it also marks where the ball was on first down.) The center judge stays next to the ball until its set. He then backs off. If you run a play before he gets behind the farthest back, it’s a penalty. After that, you can go. The chain doesn’t matter.”

Matt suggested that “If they are talking about that, maybe you won a little territory anyway”. Coach “No- I’m more concerned about their quarterback, that big nose tackle, etc.” They went over the Louisville personnel, having already discussed the QB. He loves outside LB Keith Kelsey. He’s “old school” and plays at “the highest competitive level”. He causes Moms to call their sons and ask “Do you have to block that guy?” Devonte Fields is an outstanding edge rusher. “I don’t know what his problem was at TCU but he’s a very good player and so is the one on the opposite side.” That would be Steve Thomas, (they are the outside linebackers). The big nose tackle is 6-1 308 DeAngelo Brown. “They are long, strong and fast.”

Matt asked how the talent in the ACC compared to teams he’d played in the past. “It’s comparable to the most outstanding players we’ve played. We will have to limit our mistakes. We need to win the turnover battle and not have too many penalties. We’ll need something from them. The best team doesn’t always win. It’s the team that plays the best. It’s not baseball- you don’t have to beat them 7 times.” (Or the best of seven.) “We have to be a football team, not a bunch of individuals”.

Matt noted that Amba Etta-Tawo and Moe Neal had both scored the first time they touched the ball for SU. What was the first Dome experience like for the new-comers”. Coach: “That’s too bread a question Matt! The newcomers blended in and the team embraced them.” (I would have embraced them when they scored the first time they touched the ball, too, but I’m up in the stands.)

Coach wants and “Orange-out” for the game. He wants loud cheering when Louisville has the ball and silence when we have it. “Together we can get it done. Apart we can’t.”

Coach will be introducing his staff on the show, one by one. He let Brian Ward have the last 15 minutes. In his introduction he said he’d been impressed with Craig Bohl’s North Dakota State teams which were winning national championships at the FCS level. He admired the way they played defense. When Bohl got the Wyoming job, his DC, Brian Ward became available. Babers figured if he could combine the way North Dakota State played defense with the way Eastern Illinois played offense, he’d have a very powerful team. (This was music to my ears. I’ve rooted for the Bison for years and certainly admired them. They are to FCS what Alabama is to FBS. I remember one year Georgia Southern played both of them. They rushed for 303 yards against Alabama and 136 against NDS. I love that stat. Last week Coach Babers said that the team he grew up rooting for was Don Coryell’s San Diego State teams. Those are magic names to me and to whatever extent Syracuse can emulate them, the future here is that much brighter.)

Ward said he’d been working in the system NDS uses since 2005 at Missouri Southern and worked there with a couple of guys who are using the same concepts in the NFL right now. (I note from his resume that he was actually at NDS only for the 2010 season- the year before their championship run began- they were 9-5 that year and lost in the FCS quarterfinals but were laying the groundwork for their championships).

“After the first drive, we’d been hit on the chin and responded well. We didn’t execute, pressing too much. We lost the corner and didn’t finish the play. We did a fairly decent job the rest of the game, minus one drive that was the only other time they got past midfield. If it happens again, our guys will have been there. “

Louisville’s opening game was “a showcase of the ability they have and their efficiency. Bad leverage and bad match-up will be expose3d.”

“Chris Slayton needs to be the guy on the line. Zaire Franklin and Parris Bennett at linebacker and Antwan Cordy and Corey Winfield have to be consistently good. We need to see who are the tough guys who can respond when we need stops.”

This week’s trivia question was: Which tune does Coach Babers have played over the PA system at the close of practice, (this was revealed in an article on Syracuse.com in the past week). Here is the answer:

Coach said “There’s nothing more “old school” than that."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom