"The Dome roof" | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcsu

Living Legend
Listening to the interview with AD JW it struck me that there seems to be a subtle shift in focus when discussing the Dome remodel. Rather than talking about redoing the Dome we are now almost soley focused on replacing the roof. I hope im reading too much into this.

Christ, i am so beyond tired of this dome renovation talk. We started this conversation 2 presidents, 2 AD’s and 3 football coaches ago...and all we have to show for it are remodeled locker rooms and ribbon boards.

Until i see tangible action, any renovation talk from the university is gassbag news

(Edit: not meant as a jab at you KC)

For those who haven't listened to the interview here it is. At the 5:43 mark Wildhack speaks to Parks question about the Dome.

kcsu I think you are reading too much into this. It was a Signing Day interview so most of the focus wasn't on the Dome renovation. If you go back and listen to the interview again Wildhack says the roof is the first step in the renovation.

kcsu I think you are reading too much into this. It was a Signing Day interview so most of the focus wasn't on the Dome renovation. If you go back and listen to the interview again Wildhack says the roof is the first step in the renovation.
" and from there we will move on" sounds like phase one is the roof. Is there any chance they go cheap and stay with an inflatable? Anything else seems to require major structural changes which i think would lend to a significant remodel. I cant see how they could just do the roof unless they stick with another inflatable.

Might want to consider the Chancellor's January 17 address to the campus about priorities:

-- deciding in June about "the future of the Dome roof". Just one sentence, no other hint.

I think if the roof is step 1, then not a hell of a lot is going to go on beneath it. Certainly aren’t gonna open concourses, or any major changes.

They probably will just change the roof. Then when asked about more things to come they will come out and say..."Hey we just changed the roof and that was a big expense, so we are in no rush to make any other further changes"

They probably will just change the roof. Then when asked about more things to come they will come out and say..."Hey we just changed the roof and that was a big expense, so we are in no rush to make any other further changes"
I dont know and this has been kept very close to the vest. The point is i dont think they can put a hard top on the Dome without significant structural changes. Hopefully they call all in.

I think if the roof is step 1, then not a hell of a lot is going to go on beneath it. Certainly aren’t gonna open concourses, or any major changes.

The Dome is locked up on all sides by buildings and the road that crosses ESF. Wider concourses I don't think will happen as I can't see where the extra room is to expand. The best bet they had was pre-law school building. Build on that big area and make a grand atrium.

" and from there we will move on" sounds like phase one is the roof. Is there any chance they go cheap and stay with an inflatable? Anything else seems to require major structural changes which i think would lend to a significant remodel. I cant see how they could just do the roof unless they stick with another inflatable.
A hard roof, from my discussions with folks with more construction knowledge than I, would require structural changes. Anything they do will be determined by their decision on what they do with the roof.
And you may not have noticed but I posted a picture of the Chancellor last week in Dubai. I don't think he is their just to visit the SU campus in Dubai. My hope is he is on a fundraising tour for campus projects.

And you may not have noticed but I posted a picture of the Chancellor last week in Dubai. I don't think he is their just to visit the SU campus in Dubai. My hope is he is on a fundraising tour for campus projects.

Yep, people can keep saying do something do something. But you need the benjamins.

The problem with multi phase projects is they can stop after just the first phase. Cuomo is in an election year - this is an opportunity for Walsh to make a name for himself and step out of his dads shadow.

i was told it was fabricated entirely from recycled dome dog wrappers. is this a myth? i thought i helped build it.
(ps. the sports revenue last year was 91 million. let's leave the taxpayers out of it. they got cash.)

Last edited:
A hard roof, from my discussions with folks with more construction knowledge than I, would require structural changes. Anything they do will be determined by their decision on what they do with the roof.

He is out counter-recruiting against the University of Syracuse - Dubai campus.

Your sentence in bold above is also how I took Widhack's comments. The only implication to be made at this point is that they are finalizing the decision on what to do with the roof and will announce that decision to the public over the "summer" (from June on).

Whatever
that decision is (inflatable or fixed) will drive the scope of the renovation. That decision will obviously be based on financial feasibility/impact studies and whatever access, if any, SU will have to public funds.

That is the only thing that can be read into the comments referenced, IMO.

Yep, people can keep saying do something do something. But you need the benjamins.

Agree about the Benjamins. But if we are being 100% transparent, it also comes down to the level of commitment from SU and simply being content with their place. Simplistically, my understanding is that with the move to the ACC, SU is getting nearly 20 million/year more than when in the Big East. SU has now been in the ACC for 5 years. Additionally, with the ACC Network allegedly on the horizon, this increases SU's conference affiliation win fall.
I realize that SU has spent some coin recently in locker rooms, additional coaches, etc., but again, with now an approximate 20 million additional annually, it would appear that SU has the coin to take on a larger scope Dome renovation.

Honestly, SU should count its lucky stars every single day and twice on Sunday's for the - gift of a lifetime - invite to the ACC. Otherwise, as many here enjoy to wallow in UConn's seemingly demise, that just as easily could've been Syracuse University. People can poo-poo the recent Syracuse.com article about recruits and their apparent ranking of P5 schools, etc., but the perception of Syracuse is likely just that. SU has been irrelevant in football for a long long time now. I really don't see it changing a whole bunch, as again, the university is seemingly content being nothing more than a BC, Wake, Duke, etc. on the field, although, remaining well behind the aforementioned academic standing of those schools.

Last edited:
Hopefully meeting with our big money grad now that he’s out of “jail”

I don't think a new bubble is really an option at this point. The costs from putting an obsolete roof on the building would be too high. It's also not very efficient at keeping heat in so they are still trying to heat a giant building with little insulation. A hard top roof would pay for itself eventually.

But I think the main factor is liability. If they put a new bubble and that thing fails at one point there will be hell to pay. Accidents and tragedies happen, but it wouldn't look good when people start looking at why the BOT signed off on putting an obsolete roof on the largest building on campus to "save a few bucks".

I don't think a new bubble is really an option at this point. The costs from putting an obsolete roof on the building would be too high. It's also not very efficient at keeping heat in so they are still trying to heat a giant building with little insulation. A hard top roof would pay for itself eventually.

But I think the main factor is liability. If they put a new bubble and that thing fails at one point there will be hell to pay. Accidents and tragedies happen, but it wouldn't look good when people start looking at why the BOT signed off on putting an obsolete roof on the largest building on campus to "save a few bucks".

I feel like I read that those types of roofs aren’t even made anymore and that it’s not even an option to put another one of those on? I thought it was just a matter of which type of hard top roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.