The Downside- Boston College | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Boston College

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Practice is important but it doesn’t count. Chris Bell may be our second best forward in practice but he needs to start producing in games. Chris is averaging 7 points, a rebound and a turnover playing 20 minutes a game. Today he played 14 minutes, hit a two pointer and managed a couple of rebounds, an assist and two fouls. JB is still waiting for him to perform in games as he must be performing in practice to continue to get these starting assignments.

- The guys behind Chris and Benny didn’t exactly burn it up. Maliq Brown missed his only shot, got a couple of rebounds but also turned the ball over in four minutes and was gone for good. Quadir Copeland had a bunch of 1’s in 7 minutes. He made a free throw, grabbed a rebound, passed for an assist and made a steal but also committed a turnover and a foul. Justin Taylor hit a couple of big threes at 10:42 and 0:06 of the second half but he played for 19 minutes and those were his only points. He had two rebounds, a steal and 2 fouls. That’s a total of 30 minutes, 7 points, 5 rebounds, and two steals for those three players. That’s not going to light a fire under anyone.

- Jesse allows smaller defenders to body him out of position for his moves and also for some rebounds. He was 3 for 8 from the field today. He’s got to get tougher and develop the footwork needed to get by these guys.

Jesse was bodied heavily by BC, however, it opened up for Mintz drives and Benny's big game. There were 3-4 BC guys in the paint on defence the entire time Jesse was in the game. Only guy not in the paint was the mobile forward/guard that was in JG3 shorts. Benny had to have a big game for us to cover the spread and the over. He did!!!!!

Coach keeps preaching spacing and we are continuing to ignore what our two seniors are doing to create those spaces. We had to hit 50% of our shots because on our misses BC beat us down the floor. I dont recall when we were so consistently run out of the Gym on misses. We had a 10 point lead that evaporated once Jesse went out. (SPACING).

We will be a facing a similar team on Jan 11th (VT) and hope we leared from the BC game. I think we barely beat Louiville and get smoked by UVA. (we have been keiley clark's "Beatch" for 6 years now, please let him get his PhD and move on).

Our 2nd forward spot is currently a black hole in terms of production. Lets hope we can average 6&4(pts/reb) out of that and Benny can grow into an 8&6(pts/reb) by seasons end in the ACC. That production gets us into the NCAAs

GO CUSE

He also had a big steal.
Good point. I had forgotten about that, but was thinking he made another big play. I was quite comfortable with what we got from Justin off the bench yesterday.

- Practice is important but it doesn’t count. Chris Bell may be our second best forward in practice but he needs to start producing in games. Chris is averaging 7 points, a rebound and a turnover playing 20 minutes a game. Today he played 14 minutes, hit a two pointer and managed a couple of rebounds, an assist and two fouls. JB is still waiting for him to perform in games as he must be performing in practice to continue to get these starting assignments.

- The guys behind Chris and Benny didn’t exactly burn it up. Maliq Brown missed his only shot, got a couple of rebounds but also turned the ball over in four minutes and was gone for good. Quadir Copeland had a bunch of 1’s in 7 minutes. He made a free throw, grabbed a rebound, passed for an assist and made a steal but also committed a turnover and a foul. Justin Taylor hit a couple of big threes at 10:42 and 0:06 of the second half but he played for 19 minutes and those were his only points. He had two rebounds, a steal and 2 fouls. That’s a total of 30 minutes, 7 points, 5 rebounds, and two steals for those three players. That’s not going to light a fire under anyone.

- Jesse allows smaller defenders to body him out of position for his moves and also for some rebounds. He was 3 for 8 from the field today. He’s got to get tougher and develop the footwork needed to get by these guys.
Agree on the small forward analysis. But in Taylor’s defense, those two 3s were HUGE and so was that steal in the backcourt after they grabbed the rebound. Major game changing plays. Justin is good. He just needs to be more aggressive in looking for his shot. We need Buddy to call him up and tell him about his own freshman experience when he really turned it on in ACC play and wasn’t afraid to be aggressive and shoot it.

- Great to see Justin hit those 3's. That's got to feel good and help build confidence. Would love to see him take more shots as well as the team making it a priority to set him up for good looks.

- This is very minor, as Joe had a solid game, but why was he dribbling so damn much towards the end of the game? Finally he gave it to Judah, but I found it odd - it seemed like it got personal between him and the BC guy all up in his grille.

- I'm happy to see Jim giving Copeland some run at this point in the season. I did not expect it. He seems like the kind of player who can frustrate Boeheim and earn a quick hook in games. While I have some issues with Jim, it is nice to see several guys continuing to get minutes. I guess, in sort of a strange way, Bell not really performing could be a blessing in disguise?? That said, it sure would be nice to see more productivity from that spot.

- Great to see Justin hit those 3's. That's got to feel good and help build confidence. Would love to see him take more shots as well as the team making it a priority to set him up for good looks.

- This is very minor, as Joe had a solid game, but why was he dribbling so damn much towards the end of the game? Finally he gave it to Judah, but I found it odd - it seemed like it got personal between him and the BC guy all up in his grille.

- I'm happy to see Jim giving Copeland some run at this point in the season. I did not expect it. He seems like the kind of player who can frustrate Boeheim and earn a quick hook in games. While I have some issues with Jim, it is nice to see several guys continuing to get minutes. I guess, in sort of a strange way, Bell not really performing could be a blessing in disguise?? That said, it sure would be nice to see more productivity from that spot.

Late in the game Joe kept the ball because if BC was gonna foul while we wasted time, we wanted it to be Joe.

Late in the game Joe kept the ball because if BC was gonna foul while we wasted time, we wanted it to be Joe.
The only problem with that plan is that Girard is a turnover waiting to happen whenever he dribbles. Mintz might hit a lower ft percentage, but if dribbling away from five seconds violations without dribbling off your leg is the goal, Girard isn't my pick.

The only problem with that plan is that Girard is a turnover waiting to happen whenever he dribbles. Mintz might hit a lower ft percentage, but if dribbling away from five seconds violations without dribbling off your leg is the goal, Girard isn't my pick.
Speaking of turnovers, Mintz had another 10-second violation right before Girard started bringing the ball up. I believe that was a factor as well.

Well it worked out.

Speaking of turnovers, Mintz had another 10-second violation right before Girard started bringing the ball up. I believe that was a factor as well.
True... That wasn't good basketball by Mintz.

The play where Joe dribbled for 6 seconds in the backcourt before passing to Judah?

The play where Joe dribbled for 6 seconds in the backcourt before passing to Judah?
Or was there a second one in the game? My DVR cut the end of the game on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom