The Downside - Clemson I | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Clemson I

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Oshae Brissett has been very inconsistent this year. Some games he seems turned on and aggressive. In some games, he seems almost nonchalant and satisfied to play away from the basket throw up jump shots, as he did tonight. In 34 minutes Mr. Double-double had 9 points and 6 rebounds. He was 0 for 4 from three point range and 1 for 3 from the foul line. He had 5 turnovers. If we are going to rescue this season our biggest talent has got to give each game his maximum effort. If he wants the NBA to want him, he needs to do the same thing.

- Has Jim given up on Paschal Chukwu? He never played and Jim said in the presser that he wasn’t hurt. I guess he’s third string now.

- Our bad foul shooting returned. We actually out-shot the Tigers, 15/23 (65%) to 10/17 (59%) but we also missed some that would have taken whatever drama there was down the stretch away.

- Our press forced 17 turnovers but we gave it back 15 times, thus negating our advantage.

- Basically, we did it with 6 guys. Chukwu and Braswell didn’t play at all and Carey and Boeheim contributed little. There’s no need for a 6 man rotation with this roster. We need contributions from more people.

Plenty of effort from Oshae — he fought for boards, worked on defense. Did not make his shots, had more turn-overs than we want. Not for lack of effort.

Plenty of effort from Oshae — he fought for boards, worked on defense. Did not make his shots, had more turn-overs than we want. Not for lack of effort.

He disappeared most of the game.

Ive said it 1000 times..but will continue for the hell of it..

There is NO need to take the air out of the ball down the stretch when your NORMAL offense is...wait for it...taking the air out of the ball.

Your seats — far away from the court?

Maybe OB has studied some Ninja/Eastern techniques, or maybe it's on the viewer, similar to the indigenous folks who were said to not see the Spanish that were coming to **** them, due to not being able to conceive of ships those size. (I'm not sure about that, but in theory it sounds possible, the same way your mind can block out something in front of your face in the cabinet).

Anyhow, your post made me smile, I like when that happens on here!

Ive said it 1000 times..but will continue for the hell of it..

There is NO need to take the air out of the ball down the stretch when your NORMAL offense is...wait for it...taking the air out of the ball.

That may be one of the few things I do not agree with you about, brother. Like the announcer said though, they'd do better to not wait as long into the shot clock to start whatever they're going to do. I mean they can still do something similar, or even the same as before the milking, but just start it later than during the rest of the game, no?

Maybe OB has studied some Ninja/Eastern techniques, or maybe it's on the viewer, similar to the indigenous folks who were said to not see the Spanish that were coming to **** them, due to not being able to conceive of ships those size. (I'm not sure about that, but in theory it sounds possible, the same way your mind can block out something in front of your face in the cabinet).

Anyhow, your post made me smile, I like when that happens on here!

That may be one of the few things I do not agree with you about, brother. Like the announcer said though, they'd do better to not wait as long into the shot clock to start whatever they're going to do. I mean they can still do something similar, or even the same as before the milking, but just start it later than during the rest of the game, no?

my point is..they are so slow in their offensive sets, that they cannot afford to hold the ball 20 seconds and then get into it..if they just run their normal offense, they wont get a shot till less than five anyway

my point is..they are so slow in their offensive sets, that they cannot afford to hold the ball 20 seconds and then get into it..if they just run their normal offense, they wont get a shot till less than five anyway

lol! Well, if that's true, then I guess we still agree!

Went from a team that some people thought was 11 deep and going to run 40 minutes of he11 full court press defense, to playing only 1 sub more than 5 minutes and only 3 total against a team that is going to finish in the bottom half of the ACC standings. :(

I'm not saying that to suggest JB should have used a different rotation last night, more to point out that the annual proclamation regarding our extreme depth is almost always wrong.

Went from a team that some people thought was 11 deep and going to run 40 minutes of he11 full court press defense, to playing only 1 sub more than 5 minutes and only 3 total against a team that is going to finish in the bottom half of the ACC standings. :(

I'm not saying that to suggest JB should have used a different rotation last night, more to point out that the annual proclamation regarding our extreme depth is almost always wrong.
Looking at the season in totality, it looks like this team has nine pieces, and JB will be using seven or eight a game, while leaning on his most trusted and experienced players in tight games. I try not to make assumptions or draw conclusions from what I see in a single game.

Can we abandon the slow play when we are up? This rarely ever works. We almost blew the lead entirely with Clemson. The last 6 minutes of the game almost killed me

We do have depth. That doesn't mean every player is created equal. If Howard got hurt again we could have Carey start. Pascal who started last year did not play the 5 in this game we had two other players do it (BS/Marek). That to me is what depth is. Last year if Howard got hurt we had no body. HW was already gone and we had to play a walk on.

JB's record in close games is very good. It takes time to get a shot against the zone and limiting possessions down the stretch is a smart play.

I've always thought there should be a formula: Take the number of full shot clocks left and multiply it by 3. if your lead is greater than that, focus on killing the clock rather than scoring,. That would be a 4 point lead with 30 seconds left, a 7 point lead with a minute left, a 10 point lead with a minute and a half left, a 13 point lead with two minutes left, etc. And you re-calibrate every time you get the ball: if they steal and score, what are the numbers then?

I was hoping that we'd get away from playing guys 40 minutes again this season, but 40 minutes for Tyus in a conference game just like clockwork. K has the best player in college basketball by a long shot and he's not even at 30 mpg in conference.

I was hoping that we'd get away from playing guys 40 minutes again this season, but 40 minutes for Tyus in a conference game just like clockwork. K has the best player in college basketball by a long shot and he's not even at 30 mpg in conference.
He takes kids out when they lead gets in the 20's. When they play good teams in conference like UVA go look at the minutes for RJ/Zion/Cam

I've always thought there should be a formula: Take the number of full shot clocks left and multiply it by 3. if your lead is greater than that, focus on killing the clock rather than scoring,. That would be a 4 point lead with 30 seconds left, a 7 point lead with a minute left, a 10 point lead with a minute and a half left, a 13 point lead with two minutes left, etc. And you re-calibrate every time you get the ball: if they steal and score, what are the numbers then?
When we get around the 3:00 min mark up 6 let's say I normally think the opponent has 3 possessions left so if we score 1 time or get 1 stop we should win. I know other things come into play but that is normally my mindset as a fan.

When we get around the 3:00 min mark up 6 let's say I normally think the opponent has 3 possessions left so if we score 1 time or get 1 stop we should win. I know other things come into play but that is normally my mindset as a fan.
I would guess JB has been intuitively working something along these lines in his head for years. Perhaps nothing he is firmly wedded to, but something he employs based on the opponent and what he is seeing from his own players in the game at hand.

Can we abandon the slow play when we are up? This rarely ever works. We almost blew the lead entirely with Clemson. The last 6 minutes of the game almost killed me
Fans in the stands visibly writhe when the team slows it down. There is a lot of deep abdominal groaning also. (Oh wait! Maybe that was just me?)

SWC, surely you are Boeheim’s muse!

TBF, Zion still has some baby fat handles on him.. not sure he has it in him to run like Tyus does for 40 mins...

When you say fans in the stands are you talking in general or just that obnoxious kid that sits two seats down from you.
The kid and his dad were AWOL yesterday, undoubtedly due to the snow. I was rather wondering, with no Chukwu to kick around, where would he aim his fire next?

The “fans in the stands” I was referring to were 3 people. I - ahem! - tend to exaggerate a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom