The Downside- Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
- A loss is a loss is a loss is a loss…..We had a chance to have another historical victory over Clemson and let it slip away. It would have turned our season around. 1-5 is 1-5 is 1-5 is 1-5.

- Rex Culpepper, God bless him, showed why he is a back-up quarterback. In fact last year he fell to third string. He had three 3 interceptions throwing directly into coverage each time. He locked onto one receiver. On that last pick in the end zone, he had time to look around but just fired it in the direction of one guy and ruined a scoring chance. His bobble of a fumble that led to a scoop and score when we were down by 6 points was also a very inept play. I don’t know if the other guys are ready to compete but Rex isn’t close enough to being good enough to stick with him no matter what.

- I didn’t have a problem with the third quarter punt, which many are obsessing over. Clemson wound up with the ball on their three yard line in a one score game. I’ll take that. And they gave us the ball back shortly afterward. If only the high snap had happened on the first downs series rather than the second. This was about Culpepper’s turnovers, not punt decisions.

- Our streak of winning the turnover battle ended at 10.

- What was bothersome was the time outs and penalties. It didn’t really hurt us at the end but we threw serval time outs away trying to avoid delay of game penalties. And we have several false starts, two almost consecutively by senior.

- Our tight ends caught no passes….click…Our tight ends caught no passes…click…Our tight ends caught no passes…

- We are now down to our numbers 5 and 6 running backs, Cooper Lutz, a converter receiver and Markenzie Pierre. We still have 5 games to go – who’s behind them?
Sean Tucker is the future of the position, (along with Josh Hough), but his immediate future is cloudy with his injury.

- When we upset Nebraska in 1984, we lost our next 3 games. When we upset Clemson in 2017, we lost our next five games. Taking it to a highly ranked team is fun but it takes something out of your team and we may pay the price for this effort in the next few weeks.

I think the downside of this season is the injuries - and that won’t improve in the last five games. And when are we getting those oline players back again from injury? We were told we’d get a couple back and it hasn’t happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom