The Downside- Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The best team won and it wasn’t us.

- And it wasn’t even close to being us: we got off to a 17-2 start and I thought, well, at least I won’t have to sweat out the basketball game while also watching the football game. The rest of the basketball game was 68-98, worse than the football game. The Raiders absolutely handled us. They seemed be toying with us. In the second half, it seemed every time I looked at the basketball game, they were hitting every shot. But it wasn’t just a bunch of crazy shots going in. They moved the ball around to the open guy over and over again. We had no high post defense at all. Colgate just did whatever they wanted.

- Joe Girard had a great game and Buddy Boeheim a decent one, (although he only scored 7 in the second half. Jimmy Boeheim struggled to get the ball in the basket but got 10 rebounds, many of his own missed shots. That was about it. And that’s clearly not enough,

- Cole Swider didn’t look like a potential all-American with 8 points and 2 rebounds. Maybe we’re seeing why he couldn’t crack the starting line-up at Nova.

- Jesse Edwards managed 8p/8r/3b but there were too many times when he was out-positioned and “rooted out”, to use one of Matt Park’s favorite phrases. The more muscular and experienced Colgate big men dominated.

- Benny Williams can do some good things but 1 rebound and 3 turnovers doesn’t do it.

- Overall we gave up 18 three pointers, let the ball freely into the paint and got out-rebounded by 10 while forcing only one more turnover than we had. That’s going to produce a defeat no matter what it says on the other team’s jerseys.

- Winning 54 games in a row against an opponent doesn’t make the score anything other than 0-0 when the next game starts.

- Toda we didn’t look like a team that’s going to pull itself out of the bubble after all these years.

- Watching both the football team and the basketball get blown out simultaneously was a uniquely painful experience. It was as if my dentist, in the middle of a root canal, decided to take out my appendix while he was at it. I’ve found four other times both our football and basketball teams have lost on the same day: 12/7/68: Football lost to Joe Paterno’s first great Penn State team, 12-30 while the basketball team gave up 68 points in a 110-118 loss to Niagara. 11/26/16: The flag football game with Pitt: 61-76 and a 50-64 lost to South Carolina in New York. 11/16/18: The 3-36 loss to Notre Dame and the 65-80 loss to Oregon. And today.

- The best team won and it wasn’t us.

- And it wasn’t even close to being us: we got off to a 17-2 start and I thought, well, at least I won’t have to sweat out the basketball game while also watching the football game. The rest of the basketball game was 68-98, worse than the football game. The Raiders absolutely handled us. They seemed be toying with us. In the second half, it seemed every time I looked at the basketball game, they were hitting every shot. But it wasn’t just a bunch of crazy shots going in. They moved the ball around to the open guy over and over again. We had no high post defense at all. Colgate just did whatever they wanted.

- Joe Girard had a great game and Buddy Boeheim a decent one, (although he only scored 7 in the second half. Jimmy Boeheim struggled to get the ball in the basket but got 10 rebounds, many of his own missed shots. That was about it. And that’s clearly not enough,

- Cole Swider didn’t look like a potential all-American with 8 points and 2 rebounds. Maybe we’re seeing why he couldn’t crack the starting line-up at Nova.

- Jesse Edwards managed 8p/8r/3b but there were too many times when he was out-positioned and “rooted out”, to use one of Matt Park’s favorite phrases. The more muscular and experienced Colgate big men dominated.

- Benny Williams can do some good things but 1 rebound and 3 turnovers doesn’t do it.

- Overall we gave up 18 three pointers, let the ball freely into the paint and got out-rebounded by 10 while forcing only one more turnover than we had. That’s going to produce a defeat no matter what it says on the other team’s jerseys.

- Winning 54 games in a row against an opponent doesn’t make the score anything other than 0-0 when the next game starts.

- Toda we didn’t look like a team that’s going to pull itself out of the bubble after all these years.

- Watching both the football team and the basketball get blown out simultaneously was a uniquely painful experience. It was as if my dentist, in the middle of a root canal, decided to take out my appendix while he was at it. I’ve found four other times both our football and basketball teams have lost on the same day: 12/7/68: Football lost to Joe Paterno’s first great Penn State team, 12-30 while the basketball team gave up 68 points in a 110-118 loss to Niagara. 11/26/16: The flag football game with Pitt: 61-76 and a 50-64 lost to South Carolina in New York. 11/16/18: The 3-36 loss to Notre Dame and the 65-80 loss to Oregon. And today.
Great stuff, only correction and retraction is 11/16/18; Cuse lost to Oregon on a friday afternoon/evening, the Notre Dame loss was the next day on Saturday.

Great stuff, only correction and retraction is 11/16/18; Cuse lost to Oregon on a friday afternoon/evening, the Notre Dame loss was the next day on Saturday.

I'm looking at the two media guides and they have the date of both games as 11/16/18. We lost to Connecticut 76-83 on 11/15.

Last edited:
I’m trying not to be depressed tonight over this loss…it’s amazingly a low point in the program and equal to the worst I’ve seen here in a while. Can we turn it around absolutely but we have a ton of work to do as a team and have to turn it around in a short amount of time

I’m trying not to be depressed tonight over this loss…it’s amazingly a low point in the program and equal to the worst I’ve seen here in a while. Can we turn it around absolutely but we have a ton of work to do as a team and have to turn it around in a short amount of time

One thing that allowed me to take this without being devastated is that both teams can still reach their goals. It may be unlikely for the football team but it's not over yet. And the basketball season is just beginning.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom