The Downside- Duke | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Duke

SWC75

Bored Historian
- What a way to ruin a Saturday evening. That was the ugliest basketball game I’ve ever seen, especially considering the talent on the floor. Neither team knew how to attack a zone defense, although the Blue Devils eventually figured it out.

- This team seems built to come up short. It just doesn’t have enough firepower or on-court leadership to overcome a difficult opponent or situation.

- Jim Boeheim from his most recent radio show: “Most college coaches don’t like the 24 second clock – it would have hurt us this year, although we would have adjusted to it. It would hurt bad teams more than good teams. The longer you hold it, the harder it is to get a good shot.” We were a bad team tonight. We brought the ball up at a glacial pace and passed it around the perimeter in a languorous fashion. There was little probing of the defense. We’d finally jack up a shot with the shot clock on single digits. Jimmy Satalin complained about our seeming lack of urgency. It’s February 25th and we are 18-10 and 708 in the conference. If that situation isn’t urgent, what is?

- Teams kill our zone from the high post all the time. They lob the ball in there. The center or power forward moves toward the man with the ball and that guy shoots over them or passes it behind him for a lay-up or dunk. Of course you need a tall guy who can shoot from 10 feet and pass the ball well. Gee…do we have a guy like that? I focus on the high the high post and…nobody’s home. Guys cut through but don’t stay there. The ball doesn’t get thrown to them. We play ring around the rosy when our game is getting to the basket and the foul line. We got to the line 6 times in this game to 16 for Duke. 25 of our 53 shots were three pointers (47%), compared to 18 of their 53 shots (34.0%). They are supposed to be the great shooting team, not us.

- Duke wanted to make the “other guys” on our team beat us. They succeeded and it worked. Battle, Brissett and Howard scored 66 of our 74 points against North Carolina. They scored 29 of our 44 points here and had to score our last 16 to get that percentage. Our other guys were being left open and increased their output only from 8 to 15 points. We just don’t have enough weapons.

- We held Duke to 60 points on 2 for 18 shooting from the arc, (and I didn’t see a lot of open shots). And it wasn’t nearly enough.

- Matt Park said Paschal Chukwu looked like he was competing in the walking event in the summer Olympics. He could barely lift his feet off the floor. Bourama Sidibie was little better off, which is why JB went with Dolezaj in the middle at the end, when it had ceased to matter. This is one beaten up squad.

- What a way to ruin a Saturday evening. That was the ugliest basketball game I’ve ever seen, especially considering the talent on the floor. Neither team knew how to attack a zone defense, although the Blue Devils eventually figured it out.

- This team seems built to come up short. It just doesn’t have enough firepower or on-court leadership to overcome a difficult opponent or situation.

- Jim Boeheim from his most recent radio show: “Most college coaches don’t like the 24 second clock – it would have hurt us this year, although we would have adjusted to it. It would hurt bad teams more than good teams. The longer you hold it, the harder it is to get a good shot.” We were a bad team tonight. We brought the ball up at a glacial pace and passed it around the perimeter in a languorous fashion. There was little probing of the defense. We’d finally jack up a shot with the shot clock on single digits. Jimmy Satalin complained about our seeming lack of urgency. It’s February 25th and we are 18-10 and 708 in the conference. If that situation isn’t urgent, what is?

- Teams kill our zone from the high post all the time. They lob the ball in there. The center or power forward moves toward the man with the ball and that guy shoots over them or passes it behind him for a lay-up or dunk. Of course you need a tall guy who can shoot from 10 feet and pass the ball well. Gee…do we have a guy like that? I focus on the high the high post and…nobody’s home. Guys cut through but don’t stay there. The ball doesn’t get thrown to them. We play ring around the rosy when our game is getting to the basket and the foul line. We got to the line 6 times in this game to 16 for Duke. 25 of our 53 shots were three pointers (47%), compared to 18 of their 53 shots (34.0%). They are supposed to be the great shooting team, not us.

- Duke wanted to make the “other guys” on our team beat us. They succeeded and it worked. Battle, Brissett and Howard scored 66 of our 74 points against North Carolina. They scored 29 of our 44 points here and had to score our last 16 to get that percentage. Our other guys were being left open and increased their output only from 8 to 15 points. We just don’t have enough weapons.

- We held Duke to 60 points on 2 for 18 shooting from the arc, (and I didn’t see a lot of open shots). And it wasn’t nearly enough.

- Matt Park said Paschal Chukwu looked like he was competing in the walking event in the summer Olympics. He could barely lift his feet off the floor. Bourama Sidibie was little better off, which is why JB went with Dolezaj in the middle at the end, when it had ceased to matter. This is one beaten up squad.
Props for "languorous". I knew it was an L. I was thinking lackadaisical or lifeless or just Llllllllllllll...

Good observation about the post offense or lack thereof, which especially hurt us since Tyus and Frank were so hesitant to drive and Duke was hedging on them. I feel like some times when we got it in there, our guys were really weak. Injuries are hurting Chu and Sid. Sid has zero explosiveness. I think he could have really helped today if he was healthy. Oshae and Marek were hesitant. Good moves were negated by the hesitation, allowing Duke to recover (and we weren't getting calls). Am I wrong to suggest they were intimidated by Duke's bigs (and maybe the crowd) after getting blocked a few times?

Props for "languorous". I knew it was an L. I was thinking lackadaisical or lifeless or just Llllllllllllll...

It just popped into my mind. :confused:

Good observation about the post offense or lack thereof, which especially hurt us since Tyus and Frank were so hesitant to drive and Duke was hedging on them. I feel like some times when we got it in there, our guys were really weak. Injuries are hurting Chu and Sid. Sid has zero explosiveness. I think he could have really helped today if he was healthy. Oshae and Marek were hesitant. Good moves were negated by the hesitation, allowing Duke to recover (and we weren't getting calls). Am I wrong to suggest they were intimidated by Duke's bigs (and maybe the crowd) after getting blocked a few times?

The whole team except Chukwu seemed intimidated.

Too bad, you'd think after going toe to toe with UNC that going to Duke wouldn't be that intimidating...

He could have said that the way we played "wounds my heart with a monotonous languor". (apologies to Paul Verlaine)

He could have said that the way we played "wounds my heart with a monotonous languor". (apologies to Paul Verlaine)
or that our effort was franklangellical (su grad) in that like dracula it sucked the life out of the game.
(and 3 points deducted for "reigned threes in the UPSIDE")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom