The Downside - Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- So I’m sitting there in Section 308, waiting for the referees to decide whose ball it is with 22 seconds in overtime, thinking that if I had different interests, I could be home right now, curled up with a good book, listening to chamber music with a normal pulse and no headache. A little Bach goes a long way.

- Yeah… the officials. Twice they looked at the monitor to see if a foul they hadn’t called was a flagrant foul – and decided it wasn’t. On the first play frank Anselem had grabbed a rebound when a Tech player shot out a long arm and poked him in the eye. Why is that not a foul. On the second one, (I think it was frank again), tech had gotten a rebound but a swinging elbow caught our player who sank to the floor. Why is that not a foul? Incidental contact? Why must the refs rule on a motive? Then there was the endless review of the play with 22 seconds left. JB was sure Buddy had gotten fouled. A couple of replay angles seemed to show the ball bounding off the knee of a Tech player. But they finally awarded the ball to tech. if it takes that long, shouldn’t you stick with the original all, (our ball)?

- Which brings up this issue: when we started on this “hot streak” everyone was talking about our ball movement. But in recent games we’ve gone to ISO ball over an over again. The idea is to drive and score or get fouled – or both. But that depends on getting the calls from the refs. Do we want to base our offense on good passes or good calls?

- Joe Girard hit those two threes to take us from 10-15 to 18-18. Jim is always saying that he likes to keep his shooter sin the game because “you never know when they are going to get hot.” Joe had missed his first three shots but now made two in a row. But Jim subbed him out at this point for Sy Torrence and Joe went 1 for 10 from the field the rest of the game. Joe also missed two free throws in a game for the first time this year, both in regulation so either one could have won the game. He came into the game with a 21 free throw string of successes. Eric Devendorf in the post-game radio show was asked about rumors that Joe wants to transfer and he said he’d heard them, too – we’ll just have to see after the season is over. I’d like Joe back next year, (although I want him at the ‘2’).

- Joe, Buddy and Cole missed their first ten shots as we fell behind 1-8. That can’t happen in any remaining game this season.

- Josh Pastner brought back memories of Louie Carnesecca with his forays onto the court. I remember one time an SU guard (Autry), was bringing the ball up court and Louie, motioning to his players downcourt, stepped right in front of him. The refs didn't call the foul then and they didn't do much about Pastner tonight, just a warning the umpteenth time he violated the rules. And those shiny color cards he had could be a distraction, too.

Last edited:
Wow, I can’t believe these are real rumors about Girard wanting to transfer and not just some musings of an Instagram account.

Wow, I can’t believe these are real rumors about Girard wanting to transfer and not just some musings of an Instagram account.

Totally NOT real.

Joe would be nuts to transfer. Will never get another coach that loves him more.

After the refs awarded Tech the ball with 22 seconds remaining in the OT all I could think of was they're going to score and win by a damn point and JGIII missed 2 free throws. Thankfully they didn't score. Devoe had an open look at the buzzer but missed. Sometimes you just get lucky.

The only way Girard transfers is if he's wanted for murder and he transfers to a non extradition country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom