The Downside- Louisville | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Louisville

SWC75

Bored Historian
- That was like almost every game against Louisville in recent years. We got them in the Dome in 2018 when Bobby Petrino had ‘lost’ that team but the other games since they joined us in the ACC have been 6-28, 17-41, 28-62, 10-56, 34-56, 0-30 and now 3-41. All those games looked like a continuation of the same game.

- The big thing is that our defense can’t stop them. We came in with the 14ht ranked defense in the country 33rd against the run, 25th against the pass, tied for 4th in sacks, 9th in TFLs. It meant absolutely nothing. Louisville ran right by us all day as they always do. We’d had crisp open field tackling all year. This game was all bad angles and arm tackles. We got no pressure on Cunning ham and the threw for 4 touchdowns.

- One defensive trend continued: we are stuck on 6 takeovers, none in the last 4 games. We had 31 in 2018, 25 in 2019, 24, (with a 1-10 team) in 2020 and 6 this year with what is still statistically our best defense in years. This makes absolutely no sense.

- I noted in my “Why Louisville will win” post, that Louisville was #14 in strength of schedule and we were #83. Maybe our defensive numbers were just built up against teams with poor offenses. Ohio…Rutgers…Albany…Liberty’s pretty good….Florida State had bene struggling…Wake is really good on offense…Clemson isn’t…Virginia Tech hadn’t been good until they played us …BC had lost its quarterback.

- It’s been fun watching the Sean and Schrader Show but the danger always was that if you fall significantly behind, you can’t come back by grinding it out unless your defense turns it around and your O-line dominates. No, and No.

- Garrett Shrader completed 10 passes for 46 yards and no touchdowns. Malik Cunningham completed 15 for 219 yards and 4TDs. Matt Park noted during the broadcast that our receivers just couldn’t get open. Even if they had, could Shrader have gotten them the ball?

- We averaged 29.7 yards per punt. But if we’d averaged 50, the Cardinals would probably have just gained the extra yards on offense.

- Jawhar Jordan carried 4 times for 21 yards. I’m sure he’s glad he transferred.

- Why do we play Clemson tough and wilt against Louisville?

- Our schedule was back-loaded, as it turns out. Louisville is now 10-2 against us since 2009. NC State is 12-2 all-time and Pitt 16-3 since 2002. The Wolfpack and the Panthers may wind up playing for the conference title and we’ve got to find a way to beat one of them to get to a bowl. Today was supposed to be the best shot to get that one remaining win. Now it gets harder.

I don’t like calling a specific player out but I think we know why we don’t throw the tight ends.

Last edited:
Hope this didn’t hurt recruiting, that was an ugly loss. We have to play respectable games the next two weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom