The Downside - Miami | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Miami

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The second half.

- I’m tempted to stop there but I suppose you want some details. At the end of the first half we were up 44-26 after a Girard trey with 59 seconds left and looking to go in at halftime with a 20 point lead. What we got was a defensive rebound, a steal and foul, two Miami free throws, another steal, a missed three with a put-back to make it 44-30 at halftime. We came out like a house afire in the second half and Miami was the arsonist. Cole Swider missed a trey. Buddy Boeheim grabbed the rebound but was called for a foul. Sam Waardenburg hit a trey. Jimmy Boeheim missed a lay-up. Charlie Moore made one of his six 25 footers. After a TV timeout, Jordan Miller stole the ball from Swider but Moore missed a lay-up. Jimmy Boeheim got the rebound. Swider was fouled and made two free throws. Jesse Edwards blocked a shot but Miami got the rebound. The teams traded turnovers, Miller getting another steal, this time off of Jimmy, and Kameron McGusty hit a trey. Joe Bensley stole it from Jesse Edwards and made a three on the other end. Joe Girard made one of two free throws and Moore made another three. Girard tried to answer but missed. Jimmy got the rebound but missed the follow. And Bensley made still another three at the other end to give Miami the lead at 48-50. That’s what a 4-24 run looks like, folks. We had 5 turnovers and missed the only three field goal attempts we managed in 5 minutes and 9 second while Miami hit 6 of their 11 treys.

- Then there was a struggle for the lead. We took it back three times before Miami too it back permanently with an 0-9 run: Two free throws made it 55-56. McGusty stole it from Girard but Bensley missed a trey and Jimmy got the rebound but turned it over. Bensley missed another trey and Edwards got the rebound but Torrence turned it over on a ‘warding off’ foul. Wong made a lay-up play to make it 55-58. Walker stole it from Edwards and Wong made a three-point play to make it 55-61 Wong then stole it from Swider. Moorer missed a lay-up but McGusty followed it in, 55-63 with 9:51 left). That was 11-37 since we had the 44-26 lead.

- We actually won the rest of the game, 32-25 but there were too many empty trips and missed opportunities. We were never quite out of it but couldn’t make the plays needed to take the game back from the ‘Canes. Swider’s two threes in the last 4 seconds were remarkable but not enough.

- We had the same number of field goals and 6 more treys than Miami but 7 fewer free throws. Jimmy Boeheim was only 1 for 2 but the miss barely kissed the front rim. Matt Park asked: why remove all rebounders when he’s going to miss it like that? The ball would have gone right to one of our guys but JB has given up on rebounding missed free throws. He wants the other four guys downcourt.

- It’s sour grapes to complain about the refs after a game in which your team got out-played but I don’t recall a game with so many replays of foul calls where there seemed little or no contact.

- But it was the 19 turnovers and 25 points off turnovers, vs. their 10 turnovers and our 11 points off of it that decided the game. JB’s formula is to stay close on the boards and have an advantage in turnovers. This game was the reverse.

- What’s really disheartening is to see your team out-hustled. Miami turned this game by turning up the heat on defense. Most of those steals were like taking candy form a baby. On that I believe was counted as a block was a play where Joe Girard went up for a shot and the defender just clawed it out of his hands as he was raising it.

- It’s a good thing we got to beat Brown and Cornell to get that wiggle room because it’s gone now. If we can win one more game than we lose the rest of the way, I’ll be happy guy.

Just a quibble here, but your comment "Buddy Boeheim grabbed the rebound but was called for a foul" just feels wrong. Why not write, "Buddy Boeheim grabbed the rebound after pushing off the defender and was called for the foul?" Because that's what happened. Was one of the easiest calls of the night.

Just a quibble here, but your comment "Buddy Boeheim grabbed the rebound but was called for a foul" just feels wrong. Why not write, "Buddy Boeheim grabbed the rebound after pushing off the defender and was called for the foul?" Because that's what happened. Was one of the easiest calls of the night.

Your right...that is a quibble. I was contrasting our poor play with Miami's excellent play during that stretch. I was not arguing the call was bad, although there were some bad ones in that game.

I've never seen an SU team with 4 terrible ball handlers on the floor at the same time and they're all starters. If Buddy, Jimmy or Swider bounce the ball more than twice there's a high likelihood they're going to lose it.

who you play and when you play them is the most important part of coaching

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom