The Downside- Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It was just too much to expect this team to play a game two days after the Duke game and play at a high level. The ACC has not been kind to Syracuse this year, with three Saturday-Monday “doubleheaders” with the first games being North Carolina, Duke and Duke and tow of the Monday games being on the road. There should be a rule that there has to be a certain number of days between games.

- Mike Brey decided after the Duke game that he wasn’t going to let CJ Fair and Jerami Grant get to the basket and that part of the strategy worked. Against the Blue Devils, Fair and Grant got 52 points on 19 for 31 shooting. In this game they got 15 points on 5 for 21 shooting. It’s disappointing that such a strategical adjustment could be allowed to work.

- CJ was particularly awful. He looked like Peyton Manning against the Seahawks. He had two turnover sin the first 42 seconds. He was 2 for 13 from the field, many of them wild, off-balance shots. His “net points: went from 23 vs. Duke to -1 tonight. If you’re going to be an All-American, you need games like Saturday on national TV but you also need to avoid games like tonight.

- I thought at halftime that Trevor Cooney had saved us but that CJ and Jerami would take over in the second half because the Irish would be chasing Trevor all over the court. They did chase Trevor all over the court but we didn’t make them pay for it. They7 even switched to a box and one, which JB considers to be a lousy defense. But we couldn’t seem to find the holes in it.

- Notre Dame always seems to have a big man who really knows how to maneuver in the paint and we had trouble guarding him and keep him off the boards. Why can’t we get a guy like that?

- We’ve been a good rebounding team. But not tonight.

- You don’t often see a Syracuse box score with one double figure scorer.

- If they had had Jerian Grant, we’d have been toast.

What really, really bothered me about CJ's play last night was that despite being terribly off in his shooting, he still refused to make a decent pass to Rak on the inside. Rak was set up in great position about 15 times last night and only got one or two passes his way. I can't imagine how frustrating that has to be. CJ has to make quicker decisions and move the ball inside. I swear Grant is the only player on this squad who can make a decent entry pass to a big guy.

- It was just too much to expect this team to play a game two days after the Duke game and play at a high level. The ACC has not been kind to Syracuse this year, with three Saturday-Monday “doubleheaders” with the first games being North Carolina, Duke and Duke and tow of the Monday games being on the road. There should be a rule that there has to be a certain number of days between games.

- Mike Brey decided after the Duke game that he wasn’t going to let CJ Fair and Jerami Grant get to the basket and that part of the strategy worked. Against the Blue Devils, Fair and Grant got 52 points on 19 for 31 shooting. In this game they got 15 points on 5 for 21 shooting. It’s disappointing that such a strategical adjustment could be allowed to work.

- CJ was particularly awful. He looked like Peyton Manning against the Seahawks. He had two turnover sin the first 42 seconds. He was 2 for 13 from the field, many of them wild, off-balance shots. His “net points: went from 23 vs. Duke to -1 tonight. If you’re going to be an All-American, you need games like Saturday on national TV but you also need to avoid games like tonight.

- I thought at halftime that Trevor Cooney had saved us but that CJ and Jerami would take over in the second half because the Irish would be chasing Trevor all over the court. They did chase Trevor all over the court but we didn’t make them pay for it. They7 even switched to a box and one, which JB considers to be a lousy defense. But we couldn’t seem to find the holes in it.

- Notre Dame always seems to have a big man who really knows how to maneuver in the paint and we had trouble guarding him and keep him off the boards. Why can’t we get a guy like that?

- We’ve been a good rebounding team. But not tonight.

- You don’t often see a Syracuse box score with one double figure scorer.

- If they had had Jerian Grant, we’d have been toast.
What is frustrating is not only did the ND defensive approach work but both guys were so off they didn't even draw fouls! I couldn't believe that by the end of the game, ND only had committed 4 fouls. Duke fans were whining that SU got all the calls and SU fans responded that since CJ and JG go in the lane so much, getting fouled is almost natural. ND not only stopped drives but often caused turnovers. I think Duke players are much better than ND players so the fault had to be more with CJ and JG.

I agree with everything you wrote. But I'll take the win and chalk CJ and Jerami's games up to exhaustion...In many prior years, we lose this game. Not this team though. They need a day or two off to recharge.

What really, really bothered me about CJ's play last night was that despite being terribly off in his shooting, he still refused to make a decent pass to Rak on the inside. Rak was set up in great position about 15 times last night and only got one or two passes his way. I can't imagine how frustrating that has to be. CJ has to make quicker decisions and move the ball inside. I swear Grant is the only player on this squad who can make a decent entry pass to a big guy.

I remember specifically one time where CJ got a pass and had Grant (I think) standing all alone under the hoop, and he just completely blew him off and ended up settling for a forced stepback jumper I believe. It was awful.

I remember specifically one time where CJ got a pass and had Grant (I think) standing all alone under the hoop, and he just completely blew him off and ended up settling for a forced stepback jumper I believe. It was awful.

To CJ's defense though, one time he had BMK all alone as well and blew him off, and I'm pretty sure that was the right move. But he really needs to add this to his arsenal if he wants to get some time in the NBA. It would make him a pretty complete offensive player (as long as he improves his handle and works on the right hand...).

I personally like the Saturday - Monday doubleheaders. That's what the tourney is like, hopefully they will be better prepared as a result.

I personally like the Saturday - Monday doubleheaders. That's what the tourney is like, hopefully they will be better prepared as a result.
It's only like the NCAAT if there is no travel involved like the case yesterday. In our other two Sat/Mon games we have to travel on the in between off day which is really brutal.

C.J. passes the ball way too hard sometimes. It's almost like watching Sophomore Year Ryan Nassib.

Mike Brey decided after the Duke game that he wasn’t going to let CJ Fair and Jerami Grant get to the basket and that part of the strategy worked. Against the Blue Devils, Fair and Grant got 52 points on 19 for 31 shooting. In this game they got 15 points on 5 for 21 shooting. It’s disappointing that such a strategical adjustment could be allowed to work.

So TC stepped up and took what ND gave him on the exchange. Man, I love team sports.

Notre Dame always seems to have a big man who really knows how to maneuver in the paint and we had trouble guarding him and keep him off the boards. Why can’t we get a guy like that?

You mean like AO and Rick Jackson?

:)

While I don't especially like 'em, that's still a good point. Touché

should be common knowledge by now that teams that are jacking up threes aren't going to draw fouls.
duke took 36. of course we had nobody in foul trouble. last night we attacked mainly from the perimeter and the irish had to foul like hell down the stretch just to put us on the line. probably most troubling aspect for me that was that notre dame with their issues simply was not that good. yet they managed to hang around.

should be common knowledge by now that teams that are jacking up threes aren't going to draw fouls.
duke took 36. of course we had nobody in foul trouble. last night we attacked mainly from the perimeter and the irish had to foul like hell down the stretch just to put us on the line. probably most troubling aspect for me that was that notre dame with their issues simply was not that good. yet they managed to hang around.

But we still won...my math might be wrong, but we just finished 4 games in 9 days...the third of which was harder than any game we've played this year (and harder than any game short a FF game will be for the rest of the year)...There is many a year in the past where we lose last night...I'll take the win and the team, a much needed rest

It's only like the NCAAT if there is no travel involved like the case yesterday. In our other two Sat/Mon games we have to travel on the in between off day which is really brutal.

Good point

I was saying almost the same thing earlier today - who the heck setup this schedule? It does seem stacked against us a bit.
Just in the past week with the big matchup with Duke, we had a Wednesday night away game, the Saturday Game against Duke, and then a Monday game (which I'm actually surprised wasn't an away game).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom