The Downside (Pittsburgh) | Syracusefan.com

The Downside (Pittsburgh)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Our offense is at the lowest ebb I’ve ever seen. We’ve scored 1 touchdown in two games and it came on a 69 yard play. We are averaging 186.5 yards per game. We are 6 for 36 in third and fourth down conversions. We are averaging 1.7 yards per carry. Of course if you delete the 14 sacks for -77 yards that moves up to 3.6 yards per carry, which is almost mediocre. We are completing 47% of our passes for an average of 8.8 yards per completion and 4.1 yards per attempt. If you take out the 69 yarder, it’s 6.6 and 3.0. We can’t win with those numbers.

- Basically, it was the victory of a team that runs wide and passes over the middle over a team that runs up the middle and passes down the sidelines. The winners ran higher percentage plays that gave their players the ball with room to maneuver. Sending a 172 pound back into a line with no hole. Is not a high percentage play and neither is launching the ball down the sideline to a 171 pound receiver, even though Taj Harris finally beat his man for a big one.

- If these are options, then our quarterbacks are consistently picking the wrong option. Apparently, they can’t read defenses. I these are not options – if they are player specifically directed from the sideline, the play-calling stinks and it’s dishonest to blame the quarterbacks for it.

- Jawhar Jordan after two games: 67 rushing yards on 27 carries and 3 catches for 17 yards, no scores and 1 fumble. That’s 2.8 yards per touch. His longest run has bene 10 yards and his longest pass catch was for 8 yards. And I don’t blame him.

- Last year Aaron Hackett caught 23 balls for 205 yards and 6TDs. Freshman Luke Benson had only 8 catches but they were for 176 yards, (22.0) and 3 scores. In two games they have nothing and nothing. It makes no sense at all.

- My mindset this is that I’d like to see some progress. I realize that a winning record and a bowl game are unlikely, especially with this schedule. I don’t see any progress on offense. Maybe when the Davises get back, along with Froumy and Red for the two deep. But DeVito looks punch-drunk, used up. We maybe ruining him.

- The back-up QB is always the most popular guy in town, as DeVito was when Dungey struggled. Rex Culpepper, who resembles Trevor Lawrence with his long hair, looked like Lawrence on the one play to Harris. But, in the end, he showed why he’s a back-up when he air-mailed short easy passes on 3rd and 4th down in our last possession. Is it time to give David Summers a shot? Can any of the true freshmen- Dillon Markiewicz, Jacobian Morgan or Luke McPhail help us here?

- I’ve liked what I’ve seen of Anthony Queeley – until he ran out of bounds after gaining 6 yards on a 3rd and 12 in the fourth quarter.

- When you are not functioning properly, playing weaker teams is not the solution to your problems. It might give you a better chance to win but it’s not a ‘fix’.

- The defense doesn’t deserve much criticism but a couple of those drives were just too easy, especially those passes 20-30 yards over the middle that found the seems in the zone. When the offense is doing nothing, the bar is set higher.

- 10-21 is better than 6-31 but 0-2 equals 0-2.

Thank you, but i thought Queeley had no choice, he had to accelerate towards the sideline just to make the catch.

Good points, all. We are getting production from TEs, albeit not nearly what they are capable of providing.
No. 89 may have been our best blocker Saturday — I’ll bow to the judgment of the board’s offensive line experts after they analyze the film. He even played a fullback role, opening the holes for Tucker’s two nice runs.
No. 87 made a great tackle on the punt team. Both were open numerous times on passing routes, but ...
Gotta believe our red zone efficiency will be so much better if 89 is involved. 87’s blocking has improved tremendously. Combined with his speed, he is a formidable weapon that can help ignite this offense,

Good points, all. We are getting production from TEs, albeit not nearly what they are capable of providing.
No. 89 may have been our best blocker Saturday — I’ll bow to the judgment of the board’s offensive line experts after they analyze the film. He even played a fullback role, opening the holes for Tucker’s two nice runs.
No. 87 made a great tackle on the punt team. Both were open numerous times on passing routes, but ...
Gotta believe our red zone efficiency will be so much better if 89 is involved. 87’s blocking has improved tremendously. Combined with his speed, he is a formidable weapon that can help ignite this offense,
Two formidable weapons that haven't touched the ball...sounds good.

Thank you, but i thought Queeley had no choice, he had to accelerate towards the sideline just to make the catch.

It looked to me that he could have put on the breaks, turned and gone down the sideline. Matt Park was shocked that he didn't.

We have never fully utilized the TE in Dinos tenure and prior to that. I just hope the returning guards meet the John Hannah expectations that some have placed on them. Justin Pugh proved one lineman can make a difference. Of course it was arguably the best lineman in school history but hey...

We have never fully utilized the TE in Dinos tenure and prior to that. I just hope the returning guards meet the John Hannah expectations that some have placed on them. Justin Pugh proved one lineman can make a difference. Of course it was arguably the best lineman in school history but hey...

We certainly used them last year. This year we aren't using them at all, (as pass receivers).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom