The Downside - VCU | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - VCU

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Yes, VCU plays tough defense but that team had lost to Wagner and Chattanooga. Wagner and Chattanooga did what we could not do. Wagner beat them by 14 points.

- The Rams had scored 57, 44, 48 and 54 points in their previous games. They got 67 against us. The team that couldn’t shoot was 7 for 18 from three (39%). The team that can shoot was 5 for 23, (21%).

- Cole Swider was 2 for 14, 0 for 7 from three point range. And he wants to play in the NBA?

- Joe Girard was 2 for 9 with 6 turnovers. Jimmy Satalin pointed out that he got no help breaking the pressure. Everyone just went into the front court and left Joe to bring it up by himself using the dribble. Jimmy also suggested they might use Torrance more to spell Girard and use Joe as a 2 guard to get him some shots. We never tried any of that.

- We have no inside scoring and a very limited ability to drive to the basket. MCW and Brandon Triche might have sliced this team up but they aren’t on this team.

- The refs tend to call what is unusual. Physical teams get away with physical play because the refs are looking for something really egregious. Finesse teams get called for everything. Jesse Edwards fouled out on calls that probably would not have bene made against ECU. And we continue a long-time trend of letting people score when we foul them and being unable to score when we get fouled.

- I’m really concerned about continuing the streak of winning seasons and, (therefore), even making post season play at all. This may be the year other programs have had that we’ve avoided where just too much goes wrong, the weaknesses are too big and the schedule too tough to get over the hump. There’s not much difference between the strength of our non-conference schedule and the conference schedule and these early games can make or break your season. In 2016 we made the tournament because we won this tournament. This year, we lost to a VCU team that couldn’t beat Wagner or Chattanooga. A basketball team is a work in progress at this stage but that team gets judged immediately and it doesn’t stop. Everything matters and this will in March.

- Yes, VCU plays tough defense but that team had lost to Wagner and Chattanooga. Wagner and Chattanooga did what we could not do. Wagner beat them by 14 points.

- The Rams had scored 57, 44, 48 and 54 points in their previous games. They got 67 against us. The team that couldn’t shoot was 7 for 18 from three (39%). The team that can shoot was 5 for 23, (21%).

- Cole Swider was 2 for 14, 0 for 7 from three point range. And he wants to play in the NBA?

- Joe Girard was 2 for 9 with 6 turnovers. Jimmy Satalin pointed out that he got no help breaking the pressure. Everyone just went into the front court and left Joe to bring it up by himself using the dribble. Jimmy also suggested they might use Torrance more to spell Girard and use Joe as a 2 guard to get him some shots. We never tried any of that.

- We have no inside scoring and a very limited ability to drive to the basket. MCW and Brandon Triche might have sliced this team up but they aren’t on this team.

- The refs tend to call what is unusual. Physical teams get away with physical play because the refs are looking for something really egregious. Finesse teams get called for everything. Jesse Edwards fouled out on calls that probably would not have bene made against ECU. And we continue a long-time trend of letting people score when we foul them and being unable to score when we get fouled.

- I’m really concerned about continuing the streak of winning seasons and, (therefore), even making post season play at all. This may be the year other programs have had that we’ve avoided where just too much goes wrong, the weaknesses are too big and the schedule too tough to get over the hump. There’s not much difference between the strength of our non-conference schedule and the conference schedule and these early games can make or break your season. In 2016 we made the tournament because we won this tournament. This year, we lost to a VCU team that couldn’t beat Wagner or Chattanooga. A basketball team is a work in progress at this stage but that team gets judged immediately and it doesn’t stop. Everything matters and this will in March.
At least we won’t be playing Baylor anymore. Lol.

If even you’re worried about Cuse having a winning season, the sky really is falling.

two of the fouls I saw Jesse get were on guys much shorter than him giving him a head fake and him pogoing right into the dudes. He didn't even need to jump to block those shots, but of course he did and picked up the foul.

I watched very little of the game due to having to prep the house for company tomorrow (and no, I'm not going back to watch anymore of that), but I distinctly remember Buddy coming out in the first half and Joe and Sy out there at the same time. But that time was relatively short if I remember correctly.

two of the fouls I saw Jesse get were on guys much shorter than him giving him a head fake and him pogoing right into the dudes. He didn't even need to jump to block those shots, but of course he did and picked up the foul.

I watched very little of the game due to having to prep the house for company tomorrow (and no, I'm not going back to watch anymore of that), but I distinctly remember Buddy coming out in the first half and Joe and Sy out there at the same time. But that time was relatively short if I remember correctly.
There is almost no scenario when he needs to jump on defense.

I’m really concerned about continuing the streak of winning seasons and, (therefore), even making post season play at all. This may be the year other programs have had that we’ve avoided where just too much goes wrong, the weaknesses are too big and the schedule too tough to get over the hump. There’s not much difference between the strength of our non-conference schedule and the conference schedule and these early games can make or break your season. In 2016 we made the tournament because we won this tournament. This year, we lost to a VCU team that couldn’t beat Wagner or Chattanooga. A basketball team is a work in progress at this stage but that team gets judged immediately and it doesn’t stop. Everything matters and this will in March.

You’re never as bad as you think you are at your worst (I hope this is our worst lol) so I maintain optimism that for the seventh straight year we will white knuckle our way to a winning season.

You’re never as bad as you think you are at your worst (I hope this is our worst lol) so I maintain optimism that for the seventh straight year we will white knuckle our way to a winning season.
If Cole cant make wide open shots, I believe we are this bad. Him being a good shooter and/or being able to create for himself was the reason for any optimism, imo. He needs to score and it will open it up for others. If he cant get it done, we're looking at a losing season.

If Cole cant make wide open shots, I believe we are this bad. Him being a good shooter and/or being able to create for himself was the reason for any optimism, imo. He needs to score and it will open it up for others. If he cant get it done, we're looking at a losing season.

In that case refer to post 3 in the “upside” thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom