The Downside - Virginia II | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Virginia II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This Virginia team is far from the kind of teams we’ve faced in recent years. They have no outside game. Their inside guys are better than ours but not by a lot. They’ve already lost 4 games, more than they did in either of the last two entire seasons. BC just beat them and they are going to lose several other games before the season is out. This game seems like a marquee win but the lights are likely to dim as the season progresses.

- We got an amazing number of open looks for a game against Virginia. We should have been up by at least double figures at halftime and had a comfortable lead all the way. But I think there’s a tendency to rush shots against a great defensive team, even when they aren’t playing great. We made them look better than they really were today, which made our job harder than it needed to be.

- The ACC is such and this SU team is such that it wouldn’t be a shock at all for us to lose the next one and several more after that. We won the weekend and that’s it.

- Bench points: 1. Quincy is basically our ‘bench points’ and he had 1 point and 2 rebounds in 18 minutes, vs. 1 turnover and four fouls. He never even got a shot off in those 18 minutes. Neither could Jesse Edwards or Howard Washington. Edwards got 3 minutes of playing time but they all, (plus a few first half seconds), came during the 0-12 so JB had to yank him. We started out with 13 scholarship players. Then Oshae Brissett announced for the pros, John Bol Ajak was redshirted, Jalen Carey and then Robert Braswell were hurt and out for the season. Brycen Goodine was terrible and then broke his nose. That leaves us with Quincy, a bull in a China shop, Howard, who doesn’t score, and Jesse=, who isn’t ready as our bench. So it’s the Nth year in a row when we have no real depth.

- Did Jay Huff travel on that play? Let's look at the tape:

On a day that we are all looking through rose-colored glasses, you drop some reality on us. That's why I always look forward to your after-game take.

- This Virginia team is far from the kind of teams we’ve faced in recent years. They have no outside game. Their inside guys are better than ours but not by a lot. They’ve already lost 4 games, more than they did in either of the last two entire seasons. BC just beat them and they are going to lose several other games before the season is out. This game seems like a marquee win but the lights are likely to dim as the season progresses.

- We got an amazing number of open looks for a game against Virginia. We should have been up by at least double figures at halftime and had a comfortable lead all the way. But I think there’s a tendency to rush shots against a great defensive team, even when they aren’t playing great. We made them look better than they really were today, which made our job harder than it needed to be.

- The ACC is such and this SU team is such that it wouldn’t be a shock at all for us to lose the next one and several more after that. We won the weekend and that’s it.

- Bench points: 1. Quincy is basically our ‘bench points’ and he had 1 point and 2 rebounds in 18 minutes, vs. 1 turnover and four fouls. He never even got a shot off in those 18 minutes. Neither could Jesse Edwards or Howard Washington. Edwards got 3 minutes of playing time but they all, (plus a few first half seconds), came during the 0-12 so JB had to yank him. We started out with 13 scholarship players. Then Oshae Brissett announced for the pros, John Bol Ajak was redshirted, Jalen Carey and then Robert Braswell were hurt and out for the season. Brycen Goodine was terrible and then broke his nose. That leaves us with Quincy, a bull in a China shop, Howard, who doesn’t score, and Jesse=, who isn’t ready as our bench. So it’s the Nth year in a row when we have no real depth.

- Did Jay Huff travel on that play? Let's look at the tape:
So you're saying Huff travelled?

Both teams had so many chances to win, and neither could do it. I thought, “What am I watching here?” And it was painful. But the OT was rather decisive. :)

On a day that we are all looking through rose-colored glasses, you drop some reality on us. That's why I always look forward to your after-game take.

Me Too, but I am not sure if you(and maybe some others) are aware that "take" is pluralized. SWC also does a thorough(and more popular with the establishment) "The Upside" thread.

Point #3 is a harsh dose of reality which I am purposefully choosing not to entertain at the moment, which works being it deals with being in the moment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom