The Downside - Virginia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Virginia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Bill Parcells famously said “You are what your record says you are”. Our real record is how we do against ACC level teams. So far that’s Virginia, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Iowa, Georgia Tech, Georgetown, Notre Dame and Virginia Tech. We are 1-7 in those games. That is who we are and if we can’t get a lot better that’s what our record will be like the rest of the way.

- I don’t even want to hear about the NCAA tournament. That’s a pipe dream. We have to go 8-8 the rest of the way to continue the streak of winning seasons. How do we got from 1-7 to 8-8? I don’t know, either.

- We appeared to be in control of the game much of the way. We got to a 30-19 first half lead only to have them hit two quick three pointers. We never got the lead back to double figures. Neither team could score early in the second half. A 5-2 ‘run’ over the first 8:36 got us back to 38-29. That was followed by a real run, 6-23 for Tech in the next 4:48 that gave them a 44-52 lead and we never really got back into the game.

- I’ve got to give tech credit. They played a very tough man for man, 9lost of hand checking but if the refs are going to let you do it…). They made some big shot to get the lead and avoided mistakes down the stretch, making a couple of killer threes, (one of which turnout out to be along two), to close it out.

- Both teams are three point shooting teams. They got off 36 three pointers. We got off 17. We actually made a higher percentage, (35%-28%), but they made 10 of them to our 6 because they got so many of them off. This after Notre Dame hit 15 against us. We are famous for our zone, which has been quite a weapon over the years. This team doesn’t have a ‘Syracuse’ zone. It’s just a zone.

- With our perimeter game taken away and no inside game, we went to the iso game we were able to use the last few years. But we don’t have a Tyus Battle, an Oshae Brissett Michael Gbinije. Elijah Hughes has some ability to drive and score but not on that level and Icabod Dolezaj gets knocked around and his high dribble makes him vulnerable. We were 17 for 36 inside the arc, (47.2%) while Tech was 11 for 14 (78.6%).

- Fast break points: Syracuse 1, Virginia Tech 14. JB: “We’re not a running team.”

- Remember when he was proud of having 22 assists and 4 turnovers? Tonight it was 6 and 9. Tech was 20 and 11.

- We had one blocked shot against one of the shortest teams in the nation.

- Quincy Guerrier is becoming more of a consistent contributor and I realize we set a high bar for him to jump over because he’s such a physical specimen but even in a good game, there’s something wanting. Quincy missed that late free throw that could have kept it a three point game. He also made a great move to the basket and then bounced a flat shot off the backboard. He also got out-maneuvered for rebounding position a couple of times down the stretch when we really needed to get the ball. He’s improving but still not quite the player we need him to be.

- From my SU basketball preview: “Buzz Williams had this program going strong but bugged out for Texas A&M and left very little behind. (I’ll miss the little Curly Howard clone but I’ll get over it.) He’ll be replaced by Mike Young, who won 30 games at Wofford last year – in his 30th year at the school. But he’ll basically be starting from scratch. Four starters and the top five scorers are gone. And it’s hard to put together a recruiting class during a coaching change…The only returning starter is 6-1 195 guard Wabissa Bede who was persuaded not to transfer… It’s all about potential in Blacksburg this season. It may be better than the reality.” They were both younger and smaller than we were. And we just lost to them.

- Hope springs eternal. But picking it up and taking it with us is getting to be heavy lifting.

played 6 guys. marek fouls out. any chance we can shorten the syracuse bench 10 feet to add some extra premium courtside seating ? JB doesn't need all that extra space !

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom