The Downside - Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We got out-rebounded again, only 32-35 but last year we were a pretty good rebounding team and with all five starters back, you’d think we could do better than we have been doing.

- We missed 5 of 18 foul shots. The last three games we have missed 22 of 60, (making 63%) and for the ACC season we are at 66%. This season it has made it hard for us to complete comebacks. But is can also make it hard to hold on to leads. It didn’t matter today but it’s an ongoing concern.

- Oshae Brissett played somewhat better but still has a way to go. He was 3 for 9 from the field and scored 9 points with 4 rebounds. He had 13 double-doubles last year and has had only 7 this year and none in the last five games, during which he has scored 44 points and grabbed 26 rebounds, average of 9 and 5 respectively.

- A hungry Jalen Carey finally got a chance to play after three straight DNPs. He eventually got a rebound and a steal but missed both field goals and a free throw and committed a foul and turnover. He was just trying too hard to make things happen and he made more bad things happen than good. He just can’t make the defense come out and guard him the way Buddy Boeheim can. But got off to a similar start but JB let him play his way through it and he wound up scoring 7 points with a couple of steals.

- We got out-rebounded again, only 32-35 but last year we were a pretty good rebounding team and with all five starters back, you’d think we could do better than we have been doing.

- We missed 5 of 18 foul shots. The last three games we have missed 22 of 60, (making 63%) and for the ACC season we are at 66%. This season it has made it hard for us to complete comebacks. But is can also make it hard to hold on to leads. It didn’t matter today but it’s an ongoing concern.

- Oshae Brissett played somewhat better but still has a way to go. He was 3 for 9 from the field and scored 9 points with 4 rebounds. He had 13 double-doubles last year and has had only 7 this year and none in the last five games, during which he has scored 44 points and grabbed 26 rebounds, average of 9 and 5 respectively.

- A hungry Jalen Carey finally got a chance to play after three straight DNPs. He eventually got a rebound and a steal but missed both field goals and a free throw and committed a foul and turnover. He was just trying too hard to make things happen and he made more bad things happen than good. He just can’t make the defense come out and guard him the way Buddy Boeheim can. But got off to a similar start but JB let him play his way through it and he wound up scoring 7 points with a couple of steals.

Technically speaking all 5 starters aren't back in the sense that the team that we start is not the same team that started games last year, and the minutes distribution is clearly different. Hughes is a starter this season and he wasn't available last year.

In addition to Hughes getting nearly 34 minutes per game, Buddy is getting 15 minute per game (probably more if you only take the ACC games) and Howard's minutes are way down, only getting 26 minutes per game.

That said, I don't know why our rebounding has seemingly dropped off so much. Last year's rebounds seem to "still be in the lineup" this season and I don't think you can blame it all on Hughes being outrebounded at the SF position??

Last edited:
JC, JC, your time is not yet at hand.
Totally correct but it is hard to deny a freshman that has been glued to the bench most of the season from over exerting in the few minutes of opportunity he finally gets. It was so obvious he was pressing way, way too hard. Contrast that with how Braswell handles his few playing minutes. He seems in control and just gets it done. The photo with Carey celebrating with the starters on the bench after the "air ball" was priceless!

Totally correct but it is hard to deny a freshman that has been glued to the bench most of the season from over exerting in the few minutes of opportunity he finally gets. It was so obvious he was pressing way, way too hard. Contrast that with how Braswell handles his few playing minutes. He seems in control and just gets it done. The photo with Carey celebrating with the starters on the bench after the "air ball" was priceless!
I love that Carey seems to have kept his spirits up! I loved that photo! I have read the back stories about how hard he - and his father - have worked over the years. I don’t know whether he is trying to impress his dad, or what, but by next year he will have calmed down and I hope he will be great for us.

Yes, Braswell seems to be chill. We don’t know how much it has cost him to sit when I’m sure he expected to play, but whenever he does play he seems to do so with purpose and and doesn’t rush. I think/hope he’ll be good for us next year as well.

appears carey is going to the goal every touch. dish it bro ! get in the flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom